-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Jupiter and Beyond the Infinite

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 of 13 Jeff Pryor

Jeff Pryor

Supporting Actor

• 654 posts

Posted November 08 2002 - 06:48 AM

This one's for you, Jack Briggs. Posted Image

I don't know if you like Pink Floyd or not, but this is a good one. Pick up a copy of 'Meddle'. On this album is a very long composition called 'Echoes.' Put 2001 into the DVD player and sychronize the very first note of 'Echoes' the very second the words 'Jupiter and Beyond the Infinite' appear on the screen. Kick back and enjoy a very metaphysical experience.Posted Image
Heads I win, tails you lose.

#2 of 13 Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted November 08 2002 - 07:21 AM

Are, erm, "spiritual supplements/consumables" required for enjoying the final act of this film in such a way? Posted Image

#3 of 13 Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter

• 1,761 posts

Posted November 08 2002 - 07:46 AM

You know, I've always wanted to try this...and the Dark Side of the Moon / Wizard of Oz thing.

BUT, I have my DVD player and my CD player going through my Denon amp. So, if I switch it to CD , I lose the DVD video. If I switch it to DVD, I lose the CD audio.

Posted Image

#4 of 13 Jeff Pryor

Jeff Pryor

Supporting Actor

• 654 posts

Posted November 08 2002 - 08:50 AM

Jack, it's very enjoyable even when you're soberPosted Image . And when Bowman lands in the hotel room, the music is absolutely perfect and surreal.Posted Image

The Dark Side/Wizard of Oz thing is dead on! BTW, long ago I found a connection with Dark Side and Star Wars:ANH as well, if anyone wants to hear what it is....
Heads I win, tails you lose.

#5 of 13 Vic_T

Vic_T

Stunt Coordinator

• 202 posts

Posted November 08 2002 - 10:55 AM

The WOO/DSOTM thing is cool. But, it seems to me, that any Floyd would work with the last act of 2001.
Hi, how's it going?

#6 of 13 Kevin M

Kevin M

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted November 08 2002 - 11:06 AM

Hell, a lot of Tangerine Dream would work well with Jupiter and Beyond the Infinite!Posted Image
-Kevin M.

There's a human tendency to resent anyone who disagrees with our pleasures.  The less mature interpret that as a personal attack on themselves.
- Roger Ebert

#7 of 13 Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,463 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted November 08 2002 - 11:46 AM

Turner Classic Movies once aired The Wizard of Oz with The Dark Side of the Moon as the secondary audio program.

It actually DID sync up good.

#8 of 13 Matthew Watson

Matthew Watson

Stunt Coordinator

• 52 posts

Posted November 08 2002 - 12:09 PM

Back in the mid-80s, the USA Network program "Night Flight" had an episode with a bunch of "cult classic" clips - old bloopers, z-movie trailers, the Porky Pig "son of a b-b-b-b-gun" clip... a fun hour of tv, lemme tell you.

The absolute highlight for me was Melies' "A Trip to the Moon" - a silent film, of course - with PF's performance of Echoes from Pink Floyd in Pompeii played over it. It's unbelievable, and much closer synced than the Wizard of Oz Side of the Moon was, I thought. One of the coolest things I've ever seen. I still have the video tape, but I accidentally erased the first ten seconds of it (still beating my head against the wall over that). Was sure to pull that damned tab off the tape thereafter, and learned me a valuable lesson.

Anyways, anyone else ever see this? It's cool, did I mention that?

#9 of 13 Blaine Skerry

Blaine Skerry

Second Unit

• 277 posts

Posted November 08 2002 - 12:46 PM

Robert Fripp and Brian Eno's recording INDEX OF METALS from the Evening Star CD is fairly disturbing when played while watching Murnau's NOSFERATU.

#10 of 13 Rain

Rain

Producer

• 5,020 posts

Posted November 08 2002 - 01:47 PM

Quote:
...and the Dark Side of the Moon / Wizard of Oz thing.
Highly recommended. Posted Image
"Imagine all the people, living life in peace..." - Imagine by John Lennon

#11 of 13 Chauncey

Chauncey

Stunt Coordinator

• 67 posts

Posted November 08 2002 - 03:42 PM

I've seen both, and both are very good. Highly recommended.
Chauncey

#12 of 13 Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,463 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted November 08 2002 - 04:35 PM

More about Nosferatu...

I've heard that you could edit tracks from scores by Bernard Herrmann (Hitchcock scores) and create a really good orchestral score from that.

I'm positive that the bulk of Vertigo's score would fit perfectly.

#13 of 13 Kevin M

Kevin M

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted November 09 2002 - 07:15 AM

I made my own track for Nosferatu which used TD's Zeit & Sorcerer soundtrack as well as tracks from Wendy Carlos, Jerry Goldsmith, John Carpenter, Debussy, Ligeti & Ennio Morricone.
I made it using the highest MP3 bit-rate, burned onto a CD-R and play it using an APEX DVD player (bought for that reason, MP3 playback) and I pipe it through my receiver's Tape in/out, that way I don't loose the video feed from my Yamaha DVD.
I also made my own soundtrack for Metropolis.
-Kevin M.

There's a human tendency to resent anyone who disagrees with our pleasures.  The less mature interpret that as a personal attack on themselves.
- Roger Ebert