What's new

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2003 (1 Viewer)

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
Is anybody looking forward to this game like me? I'm a big golf player, and I've been waiting for a good golf game to come out for the xbox. I think this is the one. Its received good reviews at IGN on all platforms, around 8.5-8.9.

The only thing it lacks, which really upsets me, is tournaments. You can't play in any tournaments. You can only play in the "Tiger challenge" or something like that. EA has the PGA tour license and they can't even make up some real tournaments, come on. But even with this shortcoming, I'll definitely pick this one up on Wednesday.

Any thoughts?

Dave_Olds

Stunt Coordinator
Same here....been dying for it....Graphically, it looks stunning...Although I havent seen reviews....I have been actually searching this morning to see if it is on schedule for release this week...Havent seen any confirmation anywhere....If it is, I am getting it...!!!

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
According to most videogame websites, such as ebgames and gamestop, it ships tomorrow and will be on shelves Wednesday the 30th. I can't wait!

Ricky Hustle

Supporting Actor
Since it is EA, and will have no Xbox enhancements, I will pass on it. I just cant bring myself to support EA any longer when it comes to Xbox, all they do is port PS2 titles over to it. I will continue to play Links on the PC.

GlenHaag

Supporting Actor
I heard from a beta tester that the game was just superb. I'm just one of the old school guys that's just wanted that perfect combination of NES Open for the NES and Links LS.

I'm still waiting...

Glen

Chris Flynn

Second Unit
Getting it this week I hope.
I have Links 2003 for my PC, but I want a good golf game my buddies and I can play on the couch.
*EDIT*
I do feel kind of "dirty" about purchasing it, as I've said in previous threads that I wouldn't buy ANY EA games from now on, but I'm caving on this one.

Andre F

Screenwriter
Good reviews so far, it's been added to my must have list. My last golf game (Hot Shots 3) keep freezing on me so I got sick of playing it...

EdR

Second Unit
Can anyone report differences between the PS2, GC or Xbox versions of this game? Is the Xbox version graphically superior? Does the GC version do 480p? Any controller issues?
Thanks!
EDIT: To answer my own question, I found this comment in the review of this game at GameSpot:
Though all three versions of Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2003 look basically identical, the colors in the Xbox version feel richer, and the aliasing is less noticeable.

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
I really don't have any controller issues at all Ed. It was kind of awkward at first, but now I'm getting more used to it. I've only played for about 2 hours though.

Its not a bad game at all, however its not the golf simulation I was looking for. I'm looking for more of a Links 2003 console game, which will probably never happen.

But none-the-less, its fun, the graphics are great. The player models and faces are amazing.

Another cool thing is, when you're in match play, and you have a shot that is really important, you will hear nothing but your heart beat, and the controller will vibrate with each beat. Its really cool, it actually makes me try harder. Makes you feel like your actually playing.

Michael Henry

Second Unit
Real Name
J. Michael Henry
Paul_Fisher, can you elaborate on how the swing technique is? Just curious as if it is a 3 button sequence of if you actually use the controller...

Also, are you on the XBOX version?

Thanks!

-Mike

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
No, it is not a three button sequence, you have to use the analog controls, either the left stick or the right stick. You pull back the swing to start the backswing, and push it forward to complete the swing.

There is an option to "power up" your swing by tapping the white button during your backswing, which I thought was awkward at first, but its ok.

I was just used to using the right stick for Outlaw golf. You can use either stick in Tiger Woods, but its almost impossible to tap the white button and swing with the right stick at the same time.

Any other questions I can answer?

EdR

Second Unit
Any other questions I can answer?
Sure, how are the views? In Hot Shots 3, I love the way you can fly out over the course, take a look from the spot where you're aiming back to where your player is, take a direct overhead view, etc...does TW2003 have similar options for setting up a shot?
The white button boost thing sounds like it could be difficult on the 'S' controller if you want to use your right thumb, since IIRC the white button is under the right stick...
Thanks for the info! :)

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
The white button boost thing sounds like it could be difficult on the 'S' controller if you want to use your right thumb, since IIRC the white button is under the right stick...
It is difficult, I have the s controller too. Which is why I have learned to use the left stick.
As for the views, its not as easy to 'look around' as it was in Hots Shots Golf 3 (one of my favorites). Prior to the shot, you can hold down the B button, and the camera will raise up and go to the landing area where your shot is aimed. But I read in the manual you can change the camera view with button A, but I didn't try this yet (I'm at work right now so I can't try it).
But its definitely not as intuitive as Hot Shots. There is no button to simply raise/lower the camera. The D-pad is used to change where you are aiming. I can't really think of anything else right now. But if you have any other questions I will do my best to remember from playing last night.
:)

EdR

Second Unit
Hot Shots is great. I mostly wish that it wasn't quite so aliased, the grass is downright glittering in many areas. I also wish that there were more courses, which is one of the resons TW2003 is appealing, it has something like 16 courses?

I guess my biggest question, since I know you like Hot Shots, is does TW2003 seem like a letdown compared to HS3, or is it more of a just-as-fun-only-different kind of thing? I know that's hard to judge after only 2 hours, but what's your initial take?

EdR

Second Unit
Thanks, I think I'll pick it up at lunch. I'll try using the H(uge) controller for this game.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks