What's new

John Doe 9/27/02 (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I finally sat down and watch both episode of John Doe. They were a couple of the fastest moving episodes of TV I've seen in quite a while.
I don't know how much longer the audience can believe how much stuff JD knows at the drop of a hat, and still make it plausible. I'm wondering if he's a government project that went awry and he got out, but not before getting a persona mind erase. I guess there's that form of amnesia that affects the details of one's identity, but they retain the rest of their knowledge bank.
I was chuckling when he instantly knows languages. Why hasn't the CIA picked up this guy? :D
Anyhow, I'll stick around for at least another 10 episodes to see how long they can string the audience along without resorting to cheesy plot devices to keep his identity this big mystery.

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
I've enjoyed both episodes so far. I hadn't intended on recording it at first but I set up Firefly for an hour extra the first night. :b

Patrick, you thinking a slight Johnny Mnemonic spin on it? Maybe he wasn't supposed to get back? He was used and discarded. It could be a number of reasons; however I'm not so taken aback by the information that he knows but the manner in how they set up the scenes so he can display this information. It's a little too in-your-face for my tastes.

What was the last scene about? The ultra-secretive operation that he was a part of is located in the middle east somewhere? Hrmm.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Of course, that's what the last scene was about (the place from where he was part of a covert operation for super-smart agents).

Some of reminds me of the Matrix where a person can drive/fly things be getting a download of the instructions into their brain. John Doe just happens to have a lot of those operational instructions in his head.

Some of it does stretch incredulity, and makes for lazy teleplay writing. But for now, it's still fast-moving and enjoyable.

But you have to admire that not only does he know facts, but he's able to use those facts in order to test for other conclusions to solve crimes.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
What I like is that the premise allows the writers to make cases that wouldn't appear on an normal police drama. Such cases would be labelled as unsolved and stay on the books forever. The scifi element makes it so much more interesting.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
The solutions to his background could be Alien,Divine, government experiment,etc. It seems like the last 2 scenes from each of the episodes is showing different possible answers to his background.

1-In the Pilot episode we see the woman calling him "Tommy". So he could just be some guy, who had something happen to him.

2-In the second episode we see a group in the middle east scanning the worlds newspapers for something. Being from Jerusalem (A hub for 3 or the world's religions). Maybe, they are searching for someone who is devinely sent. Possibly a messiah, messanger???

Who knows the next episode may show some clue that he is not of this planet.
In any case I enjoy the show and hope Fox doesn't cancel it.

Mike Monti

Stunt Coordinator
Don't forget that he was able to speak Vietnamese and the other Asian Language (in the pilot) just by hearing it, there's no reason why he couldn't be speaking English the exact same way. He could be from anywhere.

My only issue is that what kind of ultra secret foreign intelligence operation gets their information from newspapers? He had reported himself missing in 150 Police departments, any "Secret Television Cabal" worth their salt would have tapped the police and Interpol (which was also mentioned) years ago.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Don't forget that he was able to speak Vietnamese and the other Asian Language (in the pilot) just by hearing it, there's no reason why he couldn't be speaking English the exact same way. He could be from anywhere.
Well, strictly speaking, he didn't learn it just by hearing it... he already knew it but didn't know he knew it. But you're right, he could be from anywhere since English may just be another aquired language. I doubt it, though, considering he speaks with an American/Canadian accent.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Me too! I could have sworn that they had shown 'The Temple on the Mount'. At least I think that is what they call it.

Glenn

Nigel McN

Supporting Actor
It certainly looks more like the Hagia Sophia, but if it is then that picture is old or 2 spires have been misplaced.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks