Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

John Doe 9/27/02

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 of 17 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 38,175 posts

Posted September 28 2002 - 05:49 PM

I finally sat down and watch both episode of John Doe. They were a couple of the fastest moving episodes of TV I've seen in quite a while.

I don't know how much longer the audience can believe how much stuff JD knows at the drop of a hat, and still make it plausible. I'm wondering if he's a government project that went awry and he got out, but not before getting a persona mind erase. I guess there's that form of amnesia that affects the details of one's identity, but they retain the rest of their knowledge bank.

I was chuckling when he instantly knows languages. Why hasn't the CIA picked up this guy? Posted Image

Anyhow, I'll stick around for at least another 10 episodes to see how long they can string the audience along without resorting to cheesy plot devices to keep his identity this big mystery.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#2 of 17 OFFLINE   John Thomas

John Thomas

Screenwriter

• 2,637 posts

Posted September 28 2002 - 08:21 PM

I've enjoyed both episodes so far. I hadn't intended on recording it at first but I set up Firefly for an hour extra the first night. :b Patrick, you thinking a slight Johnny Mnemonic spin on it? Maybe he wasn't supposed to get back? He was used and discarded. It could be a number of reasons; however I'm not so taken aback by the information that he knows but the manner in how they set up the scenes so he can display this information. It's a little too in-your-face for my tastes. What was the last scene about? The ultra-secretive operation that he was a part of is located in the middle east somewhere? Hrmm.

#3 of 17 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 38,175 posts

Posted September 29 2002 - 03:55 AM

Of course, that's what the last scene was about (the place from where he was part of a covert operation for super-smart agents). Some of reminds me of the Matrix where a person can drive/fly things be getting a download of the instructions into their brain. John Doe just happens to have a lot of those operational instructions in his head. Some of it does stretch incredulity, and makes for lazy teleplay writing. But for now, it's still fast-moving and enjoyable. But you have to admire that not only does he know facts, but he's able to use those facts in order to test for other conclusions to solve crimes.
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#4 of 17 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 15,324 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted September 29 2002 - 05:22 AM

What I like is that the premise allows the writers to make cases that wouldn't appear on an normal police drama. Such cases would be labelled as unsolved and stay on the books forever. The scifi element makes it so much more interesting.

#5 of 17 OFFLINE   todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 7,036 posts

Posted September 30 2002 - 02:17 AM

The solutions to his background could be Alien,Divine, government experiment,etc. It seems like the last 2 scenes from each of the episodes is showing different possible answers to his background. 1-In the Pilot episode we see the woman calling him "Tommy". So he could just be some guy, who had something happen to him. 2-In the second episode we see a group in the middle east scanning the worlds newspapers for something. Being from Jerusalem (A hub for 3 or the world's religions). Maybe, they are searching for someone who is devinely sent. Possibly a messiah, messanger??? Who knows the next episode may show some clue that he is not of this planet. In any case I enjoy the show and hope Fox doesn't cancel it.
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#6 of 17 OFFLINE   ChristopherS

ChristopherS

Second Unit

• 295 posts

Posted September 30 2002 - 07:06 AM

[quote] What was the last scene about? The ultra-secretive operation that he was a part of is located in the middle east somewhere? Hrmm. [quote]
I would guess India from the music and the architecture.

Chris

#7 of 17 OFFLINE   Mike Monti

Mike Monti

Stunt Coordinator

• 62 posts

Posted September 30 2002 - 11:58 AM

Don't forget that he was able to speak Vietnamese and the other Asian Language (in the pilot) just by hearing it, there's no reason why he couldn't be speaking English the exact same way. He could be from anywhere. My only issue is that what kind of ultra secret foreign intelligence operation gets their information from newspapers? He had reported himself missing in 150 Police departments, any "Secret Television Cabal" worth their salt would have tapped the police and Interpol (which was also mentioned) years ago.

#8 of 17 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 15,324 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted October 01 2002 - 09:27 AM

[quote] Don't forget that he was able to speak Vietnamese and the other Asian Language (in the pilot) just by hearing it, there's no reason why he couldn't be speaking English the exact same way. He could be from anywhere. [quote]Well, strictly speaking, he didn't learn it just by hearing it... he already knew it but didn't know he knew it. But you're right, he could be from anywhere since English may just be another aquired language. I doubt it, though, considering he speaks with an American/Canadian accent.

#9 of 17 OFFLINE   Garrett Adams

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor

• 931 posts

Posted October 01 2002 - 10:06 AM

[quote] What was the last scene about? The ultra-secretive operation that he was a part of is located in the middle east somewhere? Hrmm. [quote]

The architecture looked more Islamic to me. Considering the hills my gut guess is Istanbul, Turkey.

#10 of 17 OFFLINE   Jon Torres

Jon Torres

Second Unit

• 288 posts

Posted October 01 2002 - 12:09 PM

Yeah, I thought Istanbul too. Probably the Hagia Sophia.

Posted Image

#11 of 17 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 15,324 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted October 01 2002 - 02:08 PM

Isn't Istanbul a bit green for what we saw, though?

#12 of 17 OFFLINE   Hugh Jackes

Hugh Jackes

Supporting Actor

• 759 posts
  • LocationAnaheim. CA

Posted October 02 2002 - 01:43 AM

I thought it was Jerusalem.
I have learned that some pain cannot be healed, but must be endured. I believe our Higher Power will help us to endure and find peace. I loved the boy with the utmost love of which my soul is capable and he is taken from me-yet in the agony of my spirit in surrendering such a treasure, I feel a thousand times richer than if I had never possessed it."
-- William Wordsworth 1812

#13 of 17 OFFLINE   Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt

Producer

• 4,207 posts

Posted October 02 2002 - 03:00 AM

Me too! I could have sworn that they had shown 'The Temple on the Mount'. At least I think that is what they call it. Glenn

#14 of 17 OFFLINE   todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 7,036 posts

Posted October 02 2002 - 04:31 AM

It definitely was Jerusalem. The Temple Mount was in the background.
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#15 of 17 OFFLINE   Daniel Kikin

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter

• 1,621 posts

Posted October 03 2002 - 01:35 AM

Sorry guys, that is definitely not the Temple Mount, which has a gold dome and no spires around it, but it's the Hagia Sophia, like Jon said.

#16 of 17 OFFLINE   Nigel McN

Nigel McN

Supporting Actor

• 848 posts

Posted October 03 2002 - 02:11 PM

It certainly looks more like the Hagia Sophia, but if it is then that picture is old or 2 spires have been misplaced.

#17 of 17 OFFLINE   Steve McWilliams

Steve McWilliams

Extra

• 15 posts

Posted October 04 2002 - 02:27 AM

Or if done in CGI, it could have been Nowherestan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users