What's new

Mark Knopfler - A Ragpicker's Dream (1 Viewer)

Scott DeToffol

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott DeToffol
Mark Knopfler - A Ragpicker's Dream
This is a great album, and I've heard almost nothing about it!
The album is a mix of blues and folk, driven by the songs and Knopfler's distinctive guitar style. It's much less produced than his last effort, "Sailing to Philadelphia," which I liked. But this album is much better and seems to go for strong songs, not hits.
The first cut, "Wye Aye Man," has a Dire Straits feel. The second song, "Devil's Baby," has a John Prine flavor. This is a great mix of songs. Highly recommended.
Link Removed

John Watson

Screenwriter
Hadn't heard of it. I'll look that one up! A great guy.

It's a fact of life tho, we get our day in the sun, then the world forgets. Every generation throws a new hero up the pop charts.

Its neat to follow a career, and realize all that someone has done after their "success" - it's sometimes better than what they are best known for.

Ian Garton

Grip
Thanks for the review. I went to A&B Sound yesterday, but they said it's been delayed here until October 8 due to all the Canadian copies being defective.
The version in Canada appears to be a limited edition version with a bonus CD or DVD that contains live versions of:
  • Why Aye Man
  • Quality Shoe
  • Sailing To Philadelphia
  • Brothers In Arms
  • Why Aye Man (live video)
Additionally, I believe the Why Aye Man single contains a live version of So Far Away so I may think about picking that one up too. It's one of my favourite Dire Straits songs and when he played here in May 2001, he closed the show with that song. The crowd was standing up and singing along. Nobody wanted the show to end.

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
I picked this up yesterday and really havn't been able to give it a thorough listen. Sailing to Philadelphia is a great disc IMHO.
The album is a mix of blues and folk, driven by the songs and Knopfler's distinctive guitar style. It's much less produced than his last effort, "Sailing to Philadelphia," which I liked. But this album is much better and seems to go for strong songs, not hits
I didn't hear any hits off the last album, in fact I think I am the only one in Tulsa that purchased it:D
Any how, I have a long roadtrip this weekend and this one will be traveling with me;)

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
I heard some tracks from an instrumental (?) soundtrack album that Knopfler did after Sailing to Philadelphia. Is this the album? If not, does anyone know the album I'm talking about? I heard a few tracks on the radio and they were quite good.

wayne p

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the link. I think I will have to pick this one up.

As it would happen, I had dug out my Brothers in Arms disc this evening for my daily dose of after work tunes. I forgot how well recorded that disc is. From track three onward I cranked it way up and let the music adjust my attitude.

A Ragpicker's Dream sounds like a winner.

Thanks again,

Wayne

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
I stumbled upon this yesterday and gave a listen last night. Feels like an old favorite already, great voice & talented musician.

John Watson

Screenwriter
Glad to have seen this thread. Finally got the disk a couple of days ago.

I'm amazed that MK could write all those songs. Reminds me a bit of THE NOTTING HILLBILLIES, but that album featured old songs, whereas Ragpicker's Dream is made of original compositions. (Tho one song makes me think of King of the Road as it starts - maybe there is no original music..)

Overall, it's superb, good companion on a multiple disk player to the Brother Where Art Thou soundtrack, because of the rootsy atmosphere, and believable lyrics.

PS When will we get a Dire Straits DVD?

Anthony Stephan

Stunt Coordinator
Not many Knopfler fans are familiar with a disc that came out mid-nineties (I think) called The Notting Hillbillies.

A quante album full of cool shuffles and acoustic stuff.
One of my favs.

John Watson

Screenwriter
MISSING, PRESUMED HAVING A GOOD TIME is the name of The Notting Hillbillies only album. Its still available, and is brilliant, as you say Anthony.

Someone else mentioned soundtracks. MK has done several, recently WAG THE DOG. The cd is really short, and not much variety on it, but its tasty

Paul Boyle

Stunt Coordinator
Rag Pickers Dream is a great album & I prefer it to the "Sailing to Phily" but my fav is still his first "proper" solo album "Golden Heart" which has some great tunes & the tracks with Irish pipes really get the hairs standing up on the back of your neck ...
BTW the MK web site advises of a concert DVD in early '03 ...
Paul ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks