What's new

Miami Dolphin Fans - are there any ? (1 Viewer)

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
In the stands ???? Miami had a big game with Conference rival NY Jets on National TV and the stands were empty !

People getting fed up with the high ticket prices ?

Stephanie T.

Stunt Coordinator
Naww, it's that they knew that many Jets fans would be crawling out of the woodwork! ;)
Dolfan here. Anybody remember the full lyrics to the "Miami Dolphins Fight Song" that was played on rock radio in Miami in the early '80's? The one sung by some Scottish-sounding git, with banjo and snare drum accompaniment? Seriously, that's what it was!
[You other non-'fins fans can stop laughing and snorting food out of your nose, now.]
I remember this much:
Miami's got the Dolphins
The greatest football team.
They move the ball from goal to goal
Like no-one's ever seen!
They're in the air, they're on the ground
They're always in control.
And when you say "Miami,"
You're talkin' Super Bowl! 'Cause we're the...
Miami Dolphins,
Miami Dolphins,
Miami Dolphins Number One! Yes we're the [and repeat]
I would just kill to get a copy of this song. Nobody up here in NJ believes me when I try to describe it to them. You could probably induce an aneurysm in many a Jets or Patriots fan by playing it to them, it's that awful/funny.
Although right now I could improvise another song:
[sung to the tune of "Ding Dong the Witch is Dead"]
Ding, dong, the jinx is dead,
The jinx is dead, the [curs-ed] jinx is dead!
[repeat]
The Jets, they had their fun
["For eight games!"] They had their run,
But now, the curs-ed jinx is dead!
So, ding-dong...[repeat]
:D

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
South FL sports fans are the biggest bandwagon jumpers around. When the UM Hurricanes sucked, the fans showed up disguised as empty seats. Even during their dominant season last year, the stadium was quite frequently full of empty seats. Same for the Dolphins, Heat and Panthers. Unless the teams are winning, winning, winning they have no fans. But as soon as they DO win big all the bandwagoners show up and declare their lifelong loyalty.

The only worse group I've seen are the LA sports fans..

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
Anywhere you have beautiful beaches and nice weather you get a lot of fair weather fans. Can you blame them?

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Guess the weather makes sense. Being a lifelong Patriots fan... Squish the Fish !!!

(but for some reason, if the Pats don't win, I'll go with the Phins, but never the Jets ! - Must be an Ace Ventura thing)

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Miami Dolphin Fans - are there any ?
Unfortunately, yes there are.

Speaking of lame sports cities, how about the Atlanta Braves drawing 1 million LESS this year. How lame is that for a baseball team that is winning 95+ games and might be even better than last season.

Talk about complacency. Those people need to move to Chicago. Atlanta also always has problems with the Hawks, even when they were winning 50+ they couldn't get sell-outs. That included the playoffs and was usually closer to half-full actually.

So Miami has a long way to go to catch Atlanta, but it looks like they are trying at least.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
They had a tough ending to a season that had some promise. I still don't believe that that they can go the the Super Bowl with their present QB. A "franchise" type QB is needed unless the defense has a really unreal season.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
South Florida sports fans suck. There's no loyalty, there's barely any interest. I live too far from Miami to conveniently get down there for games more than once in a blue moon - plus which I'd rather root for the Jets - but the people who live within easy driving distance and grew up here don't seem any more interested in the "home team" than New York expatriates like myself.

I've been here going on 15 years now, and in that time there have been several occassions when the Dolphins game has been blacked out locally - when they were on Monday Night Football - because the stadium wasn't sold out and the team was either unable to unwilling to buy up the unsold tickets. This happens with a couple of Sunday games per season. And there are always several games where there aren't quite as many empty seats and somebody does buy up the unsold tickets so we get the game at the last minute. I also can't help thinking about all those cities where teams have been in the cellar for years but the games sell out season after season.

If the Dolphins have bad years it's because the fans get the team they deserve. When they have good years it's because even the undeserving sometimes luck out.

Regards,

Joe

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Talk about complacency. Those people need to move to Chicago. Atlanta also always has problems with the Hawks, even when they were winning 50+ they couldn't get sell-outs. That included the playoffs and was usually closer to half-full actually.
I suppose when there's NASCAR and hunting, baseball and basketball lose quite a bit of the crowd. (Ok, so that was a cheap shot)

Florida pro sports have a track record of not drawing many fans, especially the Miami area. It's been attributed to the multitude of activities going on, which really doesn't hold water when you bring in NYC as an example.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
It's been attributed to the multitude of activities going on, which really doesn't hold water when you bring in NYC as an example.
Exactly. I can't remember a single Jets or Giants game being blacked out because the stadium didn't sell out, much less a Monday Night game, in all the years I lived in the New York metro area. As I mentioned above, it happens all the time here, in all sports, almost regardless of how well the teams are doing. (OK, the Marlins' final run-up to their world series and the Panther's to the Stanley Cup Championship were exceptions. But almost the only ones I can think of. And they were exceptions in a lot of ways - even I watched the Panthers that year, even though I don't follow hockey, just because it was such a big deal and everybody was talking about it. However by the time the final game went into the third overtime, I just wanted somebody - anybody - to score so I could go to bed. :))
Regards,
Joe

Howard Williams

Supporting Actor
Some cities are just not sports town. Take San Diego, my home town. Yeah, we hosted this years Super Bowl but outside of the annual Raider/Charger game, this city rarley gets pumped up for any sports stuff.

We can't hold on to a NBA franchise. The Chargers may be leaving and even the great Tony Gwynn couldn't consistently pack em in. Remember the Sockers? Ten gazillion championships and most San Diegians couldn't named 2 players on the team (myself included). College sports? Pfffttt.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
As a loyal Buckeye sports fan (is there anyone who grew up in the Columbus area that is not a Buckeye fan?), I was pretty surprised to learn last December/January that the Hurricanes didn't have much of a fan base. Only then did I realize why there will probably never be an NFL team in Columbus, perhaps a little more likely for the NBA, and a little more for baseball. Aw crap, that's right, we've already got the AAA Clippers. Meh, that's good enough. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks