Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Pioneer Elite CLD 95 Laser Disc Player

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 of 16 OFFLINE   Lucas Dang

Lucas Dang

Stunt Coordinator

• 169 posts

Posted September 12 2002 - 05:20 PM

HEE HEE, just found this steal of a deal in great shape Elite LD player at....GOODWILL!.. for 22bucks.

Anyone have any info or opinion about this player.

So far I know it flips sides, and has digital and svideo outs.

It looks so nice, compared to the standard LD players, it has a cherry wood finish and the tray mechanism is smooth and quiet. I played a few discs so far, it works and looks great.

This is just one of those times where you have to share this with the forum, because only you folks could appreciate something like this.

Can you imagine the rich dude who donated it to goodwill. Amidst a ton of broken junk and ripped speakers, this player just caught my eye though it was covered in dust. If you have ever been in a goodwill, you would know what im talking about, all the electronics they have is really old cheap kmart junk people couldnt sell at their garage sales or didnt want to pay to throw away.

thanks for reading...

#2 of 16 OFFLINE   Grant B

Grant B

Producer

• 3,213 posts

Posted September 12 2002 - 08:48 PM

wow!
what a find! Thats one of the best.....if you get tired of it Ill give you $25, oh what the hell...$30Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
"Whatever it is, I'm against it!" G. Marx

Sony TAE/TAP/TAN(2)9000ES;DVP-CX860 DVP-CX777ES
Sony CDP-CX270 CDP-CX355 CDP-CX270 CDP-CX355
Sony S-TS 700ES XPR32450Pioneer Elite CLD 79 KEFs (5) Q75s & 20B Subwoofer

#3 of 16 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted September 13 2002 - 03:01 AM

I still have my CLD-95. You may have a steal; you may also have a white elephant. You won't know which until you've played it for a while.

The 95 had wonderful electronics, but something was off in either the design or the manufacturing process. An inordinately large number of units developed problems early on; when The Perfect Vision (the original version) reviewed it, they had to be sent several review samples to get one that worked properly.

My own unit was essentially rebuilt by Pioneer (at no charge), and since then it's been my best-performing player. If there's a problem disc with crosstalk or other picture anomalies, the 95 routinely makes it look better than any other player.

One bit of advice: Use the composite connection. The comb filter in the 95 isn't as good as what's routinely available in TVs today.

Good luck!

M.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#4 of 16 OFFLINE   Rachael B

Rachael B

Producer

• 4,637 posts

Posted September 13 2002 - 03:22 AM

Lucas, it was Elite's nicest auto-flip player in 1991-92. Forget it's S-video output. It's onboard comb filter is weak by 2-day's standads. Run it's composite into a TV with a 3-D comb filter and you'll see one fine LD image. I used to have one. I'm stille kicking myself for selling it. You got the deal of the century! Best wishes!
Rachael, the big disc cat is in real life Dot Mongur, Champion of the International Pacman Federation. You better be ready to rumble if you play Jr. Pacman with me. This is full contact Pacman and I don't just play the game, I operate it!

#5 of 16 OFFLINE   Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate

Screenwriter

• 2,935 posts

Posted September 13 2002 - 05:59 AM

30 bucks, hell I'd give you 45 if it works.Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Listen Up People.., Rack Em and Pack Em.., We're Phantoms in 15.

#6 of 16 OFFLINE   Sean Dayton

Sean Dayton

Stunt Coordinator

• 190 posts

Posted September 13 2002 - 11:06 AM

Congrats on a great deal.

#7 of 16 OFFLINE   Lucas Dang

Lucas Dang

Stunt Coordinator

• 169 posts

Posted September 13 2002 - 02:09 PM

Thanks for your input.

I was just about to buy a new SVideo cable. Your response is exactly what I was looking for, now I know not to use the Svideo and will enjoy a better picture.

Played several discs, looks great.

probably wont sell it, sorry.

#8 of 16 OFFLINE   Rachael B

Rachael B

Producer

• 4,637 posts

Posted September 13 2002 - 03:08 PM

Lucas, the problem this model had years ago was in reading the start codes at the beginning of LD's. Pioneer was evolving things about the start codes and goofed on the software in the 95 and some other players that year. They had to fix a bunch of players. You should know that the 95 was an Approximately $2000 player way back when. I hope you don't break your jaw grinnng on that one.Posted Image Best wishes from Laserland!
Rachael, the big disc cat is in real life Dot Mongur, Champion of the International Pacman Federation. You better be ready to rumble if you play Jr. Pacman with me. This is full contact Pacman and I don't just play the game, I operate it!

#9 of 16 OFFLINE   Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm

Lead Actor

• 6,885 posts

Posted September 13 2002 - 03:49 PM

Dude I'll double your money back on that.

Congratulations, a great find!
Philip Hamm
Moderator Emeritus

#10 of 16 OFFLINE   Corbin Stirn

Corbin Stirn

Second Unit

• 323 posts

Posted September 14 2002 - 03:34 AM

Posted ImageUNBELIEVABLE! You got an INCREDIBLE deal! Be happy, enjoy, and go buy 800 LDs. Posted Image You have a player that will make laserdiscs worth it. Congrats!

P.S. What player do you have now? Did you have an LD player?

#11 of 16 OFFLINE   AL KUENSTER

AL KUENSTER

Second Unit

• 359 posts

Posted September 14 2002 - 12:24 PM

What a find!
Congrats
Al Kuenster

#12 of 16 OFFLINE   Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

Producer

• 4,047 posts

Posted September 14 2002 - 12:23 PM

I've seen Goodwill sell CED players for more than that!! You can find some good deals at these places if you just keep looking.
I've been checking the LP's at thrift stores more carefully now since laserdiscs might be mixed in with them if people have been getting rid of them, but haven't had very much luck yet. A few years ago though I did get 2 old LDs (Muppet Movie and Charlotte's Web) at a Goodwill for 40 cents each since they were mixed in with the records. I later paid a whopping $4.50 at the same store for The Green Berets on CED!
Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc

#13 of 16 OFFLINE   Lucas Dang

Lucas Dang

Stunt Coordinator

• 169 posts

Posted September 15 2002 - 06:36 AM

I have 300 LDs, including Starwars Definitive, Starwars Ac3, Indiana Jones, and about 50 that wont be on dvd soon, and about 100 hong kong movies.

I already have two other ld players, a Dvl 909 combo player, and a Cld 195, Ive had two more before that but sold them.

The only thing I dont like is that it wont play my dolby digital 5.1 discs. Does anyone know if there is a way to play them using the digital out and a modulator or something?

All I can say is that my Lds now look closer to DVD quality, like the non reference stuff they put out for the first two years on dvd.

I sold a bunch of LDs that I had duplicate on DVD at a garage sale for next to nothing. Sure wish I hadnt done that!

#14 of 16 OFFLINE   Phil A

Phil A

Screenwriter

• 2,894 posts
  • LocationCentral FL

Posted September 15 2002 - 06:49 AM

You can have a player modified to add an AC-3 out (still need a demodulator). You can contact Kurtis Bahr (kbahr@erols.com) or have MSB do it (probably more), http://www.msbtech.com/, or Precision Laserdisc, http://www.precisionlaserdisc.com/.

#15 of 16 OFFLINE   David Norman

David Norman

Screenwriter

• 2,069 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted September 15 2002 - 07:21 AM

Lucas maybe I'm confused about what you are saying, but does the 909 not have a RF AC-3 output. I thought all the combo players were AC-3 capable. If it does, then all you need is the RF demodulator to feed the signal to your processor. You can find a decent supply of demodulators around for $100-150 on HTF or EBay.

Add: I see, I think I misread your post above. You were commenting on just the CLD-95 not being able to do DD and not about both players. I guess you could keep both players hooked up and just play the DD discs on the 909. I'm guessing Kurtis could do the mod for you after he gets thru fixing my Mits.

#16 of 16 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted September 15 2002 - 09:44 AM

Quote:
Does anyone know if there is a way to play them using the digital out and a modulator or something?

None of the outputs on the CLD-95 will get you access to the DD track. You'll have to modify the player, as noted above.

M.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists