What's new

Pioneer Elite CLD 95 Laser Disc Player (1 Viewer)

Lucas Dang

Stunt Coordinator
HEE HEE, just found this steal of a deal in great shape Elite LD player at....GOODWILL!.. for 22bucks.

Anyone have any info or opinion about this player.

So far I know it flips sides, and has digital and svideo outs.

It looks so nice, compared to the standard LD players, it has a cherry wood finish and the tray mechanism is smooth and quiet. I played a few discs so far, it works and looks great.

This is just one of those times where you have to share this with the forum, because only you folks could appreciate something like this.

Can you imagine the rich dude who donated it to goodwill. Amidst a ton of broken junk and ripped speakers, this player just caught my eye though it was covered in dust. If you have ever been in a goodwill, you would know what im talking about, all the electronics they have is really old cheap kmart junk people couldnt sell at their garage sales or didnt want to pay to throw away.

thanks for reading...

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
wow!
what a find! Thats one of the best.....if you get tired of it Ill give you $25, oh what the hell...$30:D :D :D :D :D

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I still have my CLD-95. You may have a steal; you may also have a white elephant. You won't know which until you've played it for a while.

The 95 had wonderful electronics, but something was off in either the design or the manufacturing process. An inordinately large number of units developed problems early on; when The Perfect Vision (the original version) reviewed it, they had to be sent several review samples to get one that worked properly.

My own unit was essentially rebuilt by Pioneer (at no charge), and since then it's been my best-performing player. If there's a problem disc with crosstalk or other picture anomalies, the 95 routinely makes it look better than any other player.

One bit of advice: Use the composite connection. The comb filter in the 95 isn't as good as what's routinely available in TVs today.

Good luck!

M.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Lucas, it was Elite's nicest auto-flip player in 1991-92. Forget it's S-video output. It's onboard comb filter is weak by 2-day's standads. Run it's composite into a TV with a 3-D comb filter and you'll see one fine LD image. I used to have one. I'm stille kicking myself for selling it. You got the deal of the century! Best wishes!

Lucas Dang

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for your input.

I was just about to buy a new SVideo cable. Your response is exactly what I was looking for, now I know not to use the Svideo and will enjoy a better picture.

Played several discs, looks great.

probably wont sell it, sorry.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Lucas, the problem this model had years ago was in reading the start codes at the beginning of LD's. Pioneer was evolving things about the start codes and goofed on the software in the 95 and some other players that year. They had to fix a bunch of players. You should know that the 95 was an Approximately $2000 player way back when. I hope you don't break your jaw grinnng on that one.:D Best wishes from Laserland!

Corbin Stirn

Second Unit
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif
UNBELIEVABLE! You got an INCREDIBLE deal! Be happy, enjoy, and go buy 800 LDs. :D You have a player that will make laserdiscs worth it. Congrats!
P.S. What player do you have now? Did you have an LD player?

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I've seen Goodwill sell CED players for more than that!! You can find some good deals at these places if you just keep looking.
I've been checking the LP's at thrift stores more carefully now since laserdiscs might be mixed in with them if people have been getting rid of them, but haven't had very much luck yet. A few years ago though I did get 2 old LDs (Muppet Movie and Charlotte's Web) at a Goodwill for 40 cents each since they were mixed in with the records. I later paid a whopping $4.50 at the same store for The Green Berets on CED!

Lucas Dang

Stunt Coordinator
I have 300 LDs, including Starwars Definitive, Starwars Ac3, Indiana Jones, and about 50 that wont be on dvd soon, and about 100 hong kong movies.

I already have two other ld players, a Dvl 909 combo player, and a Cld 195, Ive had two more before that but sold them.

The only thing I dont like is that it wont play my dolby digital 5.1 discs. Does anyone know if there is a way to play them using the digital out and a modulator or something?

All I can say is that my Lds now look closer to DVD quality, like the non reference stuff they put out for the first two years on dvd.

I sold a bunch of LDs that I had duplicate on DVD at a garage sale for next to nothing. Sure wish I hadnt done that!

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Lucas maybe I'm confused about what you are saying, but does the 909 not have a RF AC-3 output. I thought all the combo players were AC-3 capable. If it does, then all you need is the RF demodulator to feed the signal to your processor. You can find a decent supply of demodulators around for $100-150 on HTF or EBay.

Add: I see, I think I misread your post above. You were commenting on just the CLD-95 not being able to do DD and not about both players. I guess you could keep both players hooked up and just play the DD discs on the 909. I'm guessing Kurtis could do the mod for you after he gets thru fixing my Mits.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks