Photo

Is there a decent version of The Beverly Hillbillies on DVD?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 Greg O' Connel

Greg O' Connel

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted September 05 2002 - 03:41 PM

Two different studios (Madacy and another I've never heard of) have put out several different DVD collections of Beverly Hillbillies episodes. I've heard bad things about some of the collections, such as sub-VHS video quality and the removal of the show's theme song. Is that on both studio's product, or is there (or is there going to be) a quality DVD collection for this guilty pleasure TV show?
"I hate television. I hate it as much as peanuts. But I can't stop eating peanuts." - Orson Welles

#2 of 10 BrianP

BrianP

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted September 05 2002 - 05:40 PM

I recently picked up the 20 episode version of the Beverly Hillbillies put out by Brentwood and the video quality is fair at best. Also the opening music you probably are familiar with has been replaced. If you can put up with that the set is watchable and costs about $10 for a 2 DVD set. I like to see a restored version and season box sets with original introduction theme music released, but haven't heard any news of one upcoming anytime soon.

#3 of 10 Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted September 06 2002 - 03:29 AM

Platimum Entertainment has a 32 episode box set which I picked up for $9.99 at Walmart! Picture is OK, but they have a logo in the corner of the screen the entire time!

I'm sure we'll see an official release eventually.

#4 of 10 Ross L

Ross L

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted September 06 2002 - 08:16 AM

I too picked up the 32 episode version and am disappointed to say the least. The logo in the lower right hand corner is unneccessary and the removal of the original theme really erks me. If they had put a notice on the box of these two things I would not have bought it. I'm taking it back. It's a rip off. Posted Image

#5 of 10 Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted September 06 2002 - 08:29 AM

For 31 cents an episode I didn't mind that much. However I'll dump it when official season sets come out.

#6 of 10 Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,988 posts

Posted September 06 2002 - 10:54 AM

Is the logo player-generated? I have "America's Dumbest Crooks" from Platinum disc and a player-generated logo comes up for a few seconds about 5 times, and it disappears if you tap the reverse-scan button but it still shows up when subtitles are set to off. If I ever get a "real" DVD from this company that has that it'll be the last I buy from them.
Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc

#7 of 10 Jon_Are

Jon_Are

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,038 posts

Posted September 06 2002 - 11:05 AM

Quote:
this guilty pleasure TV show

I don't consider the Hillbillies a guilty pleasure at all. The writing is top-notch, with (usually) multiple storylines occurring from multiple perspectives. It is actually quite complex, if you pay attention.

Oh yeah; it's also funny as hell.

Jon

#8 of 10 Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,988 posts

Posted September 06 2002 - 11:15 AM

Channel 62 doesn't show this anymore? Posted Image
Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc

#9 of 10 Jeffrey Gray

Jeffrey Gray

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted September 06 2002 - 01:29 PM

Paramount owns this show, and they will be the only company that will ever be able to give us decent DVDs of this show. Do not buy the Madacy or Platinum ones; they are 100% illegal, as the show is still under copyright by CBS/Filmways.

#10 of 10 Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 11,437 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted September 06 2002 - 02:28 PM

Quote:
Do not buy the Madacy or Platinum ones; they are 100% illegal, as the show is still under copyright by CBS/Filmways.

So Best Buy and other retailers are knowingly selling bootlegs? Seems like someone would have stopped them by now.
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow