-

Photo

Sorry Roger, But "Blue Crush" IS Another Mindless Surfing Movie.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#1 of 20 OFFLINE   Tino

Tino

Producer

• 5,294 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted August 19 2002 - 11:56 AM

I am a big fan of Roger Ebert and have always admired him and his well written reviews, even if I don't agree with them. This is NOT an Ebert bashing thread.

Anyway, I just finished reading his three star review of Blue Crush and was amused by the fact that I disagreed with almost every positive thing he had to say about the film.

I went into this film with high hopes, looking for some escapist entertainment. Fat chance!

This film was a masterpiece of overused cliches stolen from countless other better films. I mean Jeez..

***SOME SPOILERS***

You know, poor working class girls, scraping by, driving a beat up old jalopy, surfing every chance they get with the dream of winning that big tournament.

Big sister watching over troublesome lttle sister cause mom took off to Vegas with latest boyfriend, scared to surf, scared to fall in love, scared to take that perfect wave......Posted ImagePosted Image

***END SPOILERS***

I don't remember a film filled with more groan inducing cliches than this one. Bad acting, dull story, sloppy filmmaking, obvious bad visual effects (superimposing the lead actress's face over an obvious body double) and predicatble to a fault. Not one surprise in the entire film. It had no heart, no thrills, no excitement, stock characters, lame "love story" and worse of all, was not entertaining.

Roger Ebert has NOT lost "IT", he is still my favorite film critic, I just believe that perhaps with Blue Crush, he has temporarily misplaced "IT"!Posted Image
It's gonna be a hell of a ride. I'm ready. .

#2 of 20 OFFLINE   Steeve Bergeron

Steeve Bergeron

Screenwriter

• 2,541 posts

Posted August 19 2002 - 12:14 PM

I agree, Tino. Predictable from start to end. There is no doubt about that!

#3 of 20 OFFLINE   Mike Graham

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor

• 767 posts

Posted August 19 2002 - 01:30 PM

While the film didn't break any originality barriers, no one should be entering the theater expecting anything more then breezy, summer popcorn fun with girl power and bikinis thrown in. Not a bad date movie either. To each his/her own, of course.

#4 of 20 OFFLINE   Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra

Producer

• 3,501 posts

Posted August 20 2002 - 07:02 AM

So, does this one become the official thread now? C'mon Craw, you're slacking off again. Posted Image

~Edwin
DVD Unwind: Paradise Now (Coming) • King Kong - - • KeaneThe Squid And The WhaleA History Of ViolenceHarry Potter and the Goblet of FireThe Best Of Youth (Italy) • Good Night And Good LuckHowl's Moving CastleWalk The Line - - • ZathuraNorth Country

#5 of 20 OFFLINE   Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy

Producer

• 3,999 posts

Posted August 20 2002 - 07:13 AM

Mindless, yes... and with bosoms! :P)
"Only one is a wanderer;
Two together are always going somewhere."

#6 of 20 OFFLINE   Tino

Tino

Producer

• 5,294 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted August 20 2002 - 07:17 AM

Well, I must say that the women were very attractive.:b

That almost made the film bearable....almost.Posted Image

#7 of 20 OFFLINE   Tommy Ceez

Tommy Ceez

Second Unit

• 436 posts

Posted August 20 2002 - 07:50 AM

Have you noticed that 75% of Eberts recent reviews (last month or so) have been *** or above?!? The man is too damn happy these days! We need another north to stir the kettle a bit.
"We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what someone else did." - Thomas Sowell

#8 of 20 OFFLINE   Mike Monti

Mike Monti

Stunt Coordinator

• 62 posts

Posted August 20 2002 - 11:03 AM

One thing you have to remember about Ebert is that the man really likes boobs (not that there's anything wrong with that).

He worked with Russ Meyer for pete's sake. I'm confidant that the bikinis in this movie are a large part of why it has three stars. Take a look through his back catalogue of reviews and you'll find he will often overlook a number of issues if there is a chesty payoff (Original Sin, Showgirls) of course it doesn't always work (Charlies Angels, Exit to Eden).

#9 of 20 OFFLINE   clemente

clemente

Agent

• 35 posts

Posted August 20 2002 - 11:14 AM

It all boils down to te subjective nature of movie reviews. Even though Roger is a pro, like us, there are just those movies that tickle are fancy for one reason or another. The fact that it tickled his and not yours is bound to happen.

#10 of 20 OFFLINE   MickeS

MickeS

Producer

• 5,065 posts

Posted August 20 2002 - 11:39 AM

But he DOES seem to have a thing for (semi-)nude women. Posted Image

/Mike
/Mike

#11 of 20 OFFLINE   Brian Ford

Brian Ford

Stunt Coordinator

• 72 posts

Posted August 20 2002 - 11:50 AM

Wait, just how many movies are there about a Surfer Girl who lives in Hawaii and has to take care of her younger sister because her mother left for Vegas all while trying to balance a new relationship and win the big surfing tournament? Posted Image

Yes, the movie borrowed too many plot devices, overused too many shots, had an annoying sound mix and didn't even bother with a real resolution to the storyline.

However, the acting was genuine, the cinematography was advanced when it came to water placement and effects and the editing was well paced (except until the big tournament hit). Not a *** movie, but I can see how many could enjoy it.

#12 of 20 OFFLINE   Peter Kim

Peter Kim

Screenwriter

• 1,577 posts

Posted August 20 2002 - 12:05 PM

Quote:
I don't remember a film filled with more groan inducing cliches than this one.

I too looked at Ebert's review which subsequently piqued my curiousity about this film. But I find other telltale barometers, like the aforementioned quote, to be more of an accurate guage for me.

Ebert has always been one of my top 3 reviewers (not because I agree with him). However, when there's hint that any enjoyment of a film is stunted because of platitudes and porous plots, I'll pass.

Thanks for saving me more than a few bucks. It's been relegated to a possible rental for now.
my girls rock Balenciaga & smoke mad marijuana - M.O.B.

#13 of 20 OFFLINE   Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts
  • LocationWilmington, Delaware

Posted August 20 2002 - 01:40 PM

Hell i'd be willing to sit through The Master of Disguise again just to see Michelle Rodriguez wet and in a bikini! Posted Image

I'll check out the dvd when it comes out next month. Posted Image

"That's Jack Bauer!!!!!! He's coming for me!!!!!" - Charles Logan

#14 of 20 OFFLINE   Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter

• 1,346 posts

Posted August 20 2002 - 03:52 PM

Oh man, don't make me do this...

OK, I liked Blue Crush, and not as a guilty pleasure either. (BTW, David Poland gushed over it, so if you think Ebert's gone bonkers...)

It's not quite as good as what John Stockwell did with crazy/beautiful, but it's a mark above most teen-oriented movies (and God knows I've seen just about every one released since 1997).

The digital recompositing is pretty bad, to the point of distraction even. And yes, there are some stock situations, etc.

But I thought it was entertaining and sharp enough to be worth a look.
Read my reviews at www.dvdmon.com
My blog: Reel Times: Reflections on Cinema

#15 of 20 OFFLINE   Ken Chan

Ken Chan

Producer

• 3,302 posts

Posted August 20 2002 - 04:20 PM

Quote:
So, does this one become the official thread now?

How does that work? I'm disappointed that my earlier Blue Crush thread got no love Posted Image

//Ken

#16 of 20 OFFLINE   Tino

Tino

Producer

• 5,294 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted August 20 2002 - 08:59 PM

Ken

Sorry, I completely missed your thread.Posted Image If any of these threads are deemed **official**, Yours will probably be the *review* thread and this one the *discussion* thread.

#17 of 20 OFFLINE   Ted Lee

Ted Lee

Lead Actor

• 8,398 posts

Posted August 21 2002 - 03:14 AM

i saw this movie years ago...when it was called "point break". hello?...is this thing on?

i hate to admit it, but i like mindless movies - as long as that's what i'm expecting going in to it. jerry bruckheimer anyone? Posted Image

although i haven't seen it, it does seem to be getting at least semi-favorable reviews. that tells me it's unoriginal but entertaining. not a bad way to waste a couple of hours i suppose.

#18 of 20 OFFLINE   Kevin Farley

Kevin Farley

Second Unit

• 395 posts

Posted August 21 2002 - 03:48 AM

It's good in showing the adrenalin rush of fear of what it would feel like to paddle out to Pipe. Scary! But one thing that annoyed me is during her
ride shots; the different camera shots were showing totally different waves. ok, first it's about 5-6 when she's paddling for it, then it's 12-15 when she's dropping in, then it's back to 5-6 when she's in the tube, etc. I was almost able to suspend, but I've seen too much footage of Pipe. The rad thing is that was the real surfers' first time out at big pipe, and they charged! Keala, Megan, and the others are amazing.

#19 of 20 OFFLINE   Tyson

Tyson

Stunt Coordinator

• 184 posts

Posted August 21 2002 - 03:53 AM

Point Break was already re-made in to The Fast and the Furious. :-)
"Remember Sammy Jenkins"

#20 of 20 OFFLINE   Joel Mack

Joel Mack

Screenwriter

• 2,321 posts

Posted August 21 2002 - 09:25 AM

Quote:
i saw this movie years ago...when it was called "point break". hello?...is this thing on?

Calling it a remake of "Point Break" because they both involve surfing? Posted Image

"Point Break" also involved bank robbing. Was it a remake of "Dog Day Afternoon"?

I will say that "The Fast and The Furious" definitely appears to be "Point Break" with cars... Posted Image

Forum Nav Content I Follow