Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

why get Yamaha 5490 instead of 5560?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 StephenZ

StephenZ

Extra

• 22 posts

Posted July 03 2002 - 08:37 AM

Going to by one or the other today. Trying to decide on the pro/cons of these two only.

5490 pros:
more amps, better remote, Phono jacks

Any other reasons to list........I do not need pre-outs.

Thanks.........

#2 of 3 Mike Veroukis

Mike Veroukis

Second Unit

• 454 posts

Posted July 03 2002 - 09:55 AM

Well, I would test the two for sound quality. I would not be surprised if the 5490 sounded a bit better all round. I just checked and the 5490 weighs in at 33lbs while the 5560 is 25lbs. Weight is a good way to compare power transformers and of course heavier is better. Here the 5490 is 8lbs better. This is good even if you don't plan on using all the channels the 5490 provides.

Also, I can tell you this, the more inputs/outputs you have the better. If you find a receiver that has all the inputs you need, find a receiver that has more. You never have enough inputs or outputs. I'm not sure how these two receivers compare but if the 5490 has just one more input that's a serious plus for the 5490.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

- Mike
every artist is a cannibal, every poet is a thief
all kill their inspiration and sing about their grief! - The Fly, U2

#3 of 3 Yannick Martin

Yannick Martin

Stunt Coordinator

• 58 posts

Posted July 03 2002 - 10:40 AM

The 5490 can decode DTS-ES discrete, the 5560 can't (only matrix).
What we do in life, echoes in eternity.
-General Maximus Decimus Meridus, Gladiator(2000)