What's new

Questions to Paramount regarding upcoming Friday the 13th DVD's (1 Viewer)

Josh Makison

Auditioning
Mr. Blythe, I know this Friday the 13th thing is beating a dead horse, but there are just a couple of questions I, and many fans, would like to know about the cover art of the upcoming DVD's of F13 parts 5 & 6. First, is the cover art that has been posted by the likes of Best Buy and The Digital Bits the real thing? If so:
-Why was the original theaterical poster art used for the first four movies, and not for these two?
-Is it possible that they may be altered in any way before release in September, possibly substituting the original poster art (many fans would support this)?
-Why do they look so similar, and why is the font type so different from the other four?
-Will parts 7 and 8 be the original art, or is your company going to create new art for them too?
I know you may not be able to answer all of these questions, but you are usually terrific about letting us know what's going on, and nostalgic F13 fans like myself are clamoring for some answers regarding regarding the possible substituting of this cover art for the originals. Any help here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time!

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I am redirecting this thread to where it belongs, and altering the subject to make it reflect the question.
- Steve

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
Wow, that new artwork for Part 6 really looks... like crap
Looking at it you'd think that MGM somehow got a hold of the Friday the 13th films. Wicked ugly Photoshop collage.
-Lyle J.P.

Chuck L

Screenwriter
Why make new art when the company knows that fans of the series are wanting the films in their non-censored versions?
As others have conveyed, the covers will not go with what was already put out, the logo is not the orignal and that is a mainstay in the series, and they look really cheesey.
So be it that five changes...the art on that one was not really appealing to me to begin with. Part 6 is one of the best in the series. I really hope that the final two releases, 7 and 8, will retain their cover art as is.
Is it the goal of Paramount to really mess this series up even with the core fans? And the new cover art, was it approved because the brass of Paramount thought that maybe we would look at it as being something special? Something truely special would be to let the series be finally released non-bastardized, whether it be by you or someone that is willing to take the imagined heat for it.

Lafe F

Second Unit
Part V had really good theatrical release art -- of Tommy holding a machete and an ominous Jason's mask in the background. I don't know why they replaced the artwork on the VHS release so many years ago...
FT13-V.jpg

friday5.jpg

That was great art. Paramount, please consider using it.
Also, please move the widescreen banners to the bottom of the cover so they will match the first four Friday the 13th DVDS on our shelves. Is this too much to ask?
[Edited last by Lafe F on August 01, 2001 at 09:09 PM]

Lafe F

Second Unit
Mr. Blythe, did you manage to find anything out?
[Edited last by Lafe F on August 01, 2001 at 10:19 AM]

rhett

Supporting Actor
The new covers are horrible. I really hope they are changed in time of its release. You won't get any complaints from fans if you just stick with the original theatrical (or even VHS) art. Mr. Blythe, could you please try and get these covers changed to the original artwork. You don't know how much that would mean to Friday fans. You have no doubt taken a lot of criticism from Friday fans over the series past DVD releases, and doing something like changing the cover art for the fans would really demonstrate that you do care about the consumers.
------------------
"Why don't we just wait here for a while...see what happens."

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
That orginal FRIDAY THE 13th Part V poster art is pretty cool. It looks sort of like the original poster art for TEMPLE OF DOOM.

Ricky f

Supporting Actor
Could not have put it better myself rhett.
Please Mr Blythe make sure they use the original artwork for the DVD covers.
Regards,
Ricky

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
I hope they go back to the original artwork too. Or at least change part 5 to the alternate artwork from the original theatrical poster (Tommy with the machete, next to the mask). I hope Mr. Blythe can find out why the artwork was indeed changed. If anyone can find out, it's him! :)
------------------

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
By the way, Lafe...is the second picture the cover art for Part 5 in Europe? Just wondering, because I saw the 18 sticker on there. Wasn't sure which release it was.
------------------

SteveMc

Stunt Coordinator
Ugh! These look horrid. Sorry to blunt, but this isn't going to help Paramount's sales at all. Now a bare-bones F13 with a hideous cover and they'll wonder why, again, sales were poor. I hope they can go back and change it. I'd settle for the VHS art. Part V never did much for me, but the poster for part 6 was one the first posters I ever bought. I started collecting posters because of the Jason art in 6-8. The new art for 5 isn't great, but either was the VHS, but part 6 looks like an MGM project gone berzerk. Please please please match them with parts 1-4...I don't care about the banner, just fix the art.
------------------
Crash
"I don't even own a gun, let alone many guns that would necessitate an entire rack."
Help us get the Friday the 13th films-UNCUT. Click Here or here

Lafe F

Second Unit
Wes, it's the PAL cover for part V. I prefer the top one with the red-black gradient, but I'd accept the UK one for the DVD cover also. I wouldn't cry too hard if they used the NTSC VHS crummy mask either. The important thing is they get the lettering correct.

Ricky f

Supporting Actor
Don't mean to put any pressure on you Mr Blythe but
Have you found out why they have changd these covers to the horrible new ones ???
Please Reply when you can Mr Blythe.
Regards,
Ricky
------------------
C:WINDOWSDesktopbsmoke.art
" Chicks cannot hold dey smoke, that's what it is "

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
Just bumping this thread up. We've let it slip while Mr. Blythe was here. Hope to get an answer soon. I'm fascinated by the whole process of releasing cetain dvds and why artwork is sometimes changed, especially in this case.
------------------
Help urge Fox to release Terror Train on DVD Uncut!
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/.../003324.html#0

Lafe F

Second Unit
Mr. Blythe, did you manage to find anything out?
Time is crucial, and we would like it if these covers did not go into production. We are hoping that the designs can be changed to the original theatrical artwork.

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
Hey, just thought I'd post a link to the official Friday the 13th Website's message board when they discussed the cover artwork for Part 5... http://www.fridaythe13thfilms.com/fo...&threadid=2093
And Part 6... http://www.fridaythe13thfilms.com/fo...&threadid=2064
...in a couple of threads. It's not pretty, but this is the target audience Paramount should be concerned with in regard to these titles, so I thought Mr. Blythe would be interested in reading some fan feedback to pass along to whoever is in charge, while we wait for a definite answer as to why the artwork was changed.
------------------
Help urge Fox to release Terror Train on DVD Uncut!
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/.../003324.html#0

Lafe F

Second Unit
Mr. Blythe, have you managed to find out about the Friday the 13th 5 & 6 covers? Will we be stuck with the new designs? If so, why were they changed from the original artwork? And how about the widescreen banner being moved to the top of the cover?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks