What's new

calculating ports resonating fq. (1 Viewer)

AlexKunec

Stunt Coordinator
I am making a sonosub with a tempest driver and 2 4" ports. I want to make some kind of a flare on the ends using wood/router and i was wondering how this would alter the tuning frequency.
Is there some formula to find fs given volume, T/S, port area, port volume, etc....?

Ron Shaw

Stunt Coordinator
The formula for calculating port length is:

Lv=((2.36 x 10^4)dv^2/fb^2 x Vb))-0.74dv

Where Lv is duct length and dv is diameter of port. If your port is going to be rectangular, just translate the area into the equivalent diameter for the calculations.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
The flared portion shouldn't be measured in the equation. It is the cylinder portion only that equates to the length of the port. At least that's how I calculated it.

Imagine if a sub had a variable length port that changed as it played. Then the bass might sound like digeridoo or something.

Ron D Core

Stunt Coordinator
You can try to mess with it, but why bother, there is no way you would hear the difference. It would only have to be changed a fraction of an inch. If I were you, I wouldn't sweat it, just enjoy the reduction in port noise and show your friends how cool it looks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks