-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Sony Sa-WM40 set-up

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 Robertto

Robertto

Stunt Coordinator

• 68 posts

Posted May 29 2002 - 02:27 PM

So I got it tonight, and after playing it w/Music and HT I am happy more so w/home theater than music. Still considering adding the polyfil.

Question is how does everyone have it set up? Which direction do you have the speaker facing and do you finding yourself playing w/the settings alot? Currently have mine set up against a wall w/the speaker running perpendicular to me and the wall. Is this optimal, manual does not say.

Also current speakers suck kind of muddy left over Aiwas from the old home theater almost all mid-levels and barely any highs. I will most likely go with bookshelves w/more high end, like the HTD level 3 bookshelves. I assume they will complement this sub more. Am I right?

#2 of 10 Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter

• 1,220 posts

Posted May 29 2002 - 02:51 PM

I have my wm40 placed right next to my couch so I can feel the rumble during movies. There is no "perfect" spot, just find the spot that sounds best to you.

#3 of 10 Ray Kammer

Ray Kammer

Agent

• 33 posts

Posted May 29 2002 - 03:19 PM

I've got my WM40 up on a brick hearth and perpendicular to my listening area. Sounds awsome and has continued to get tighter with usage. I'm running a pair of ADS L1590/2 towers with dual 10" woofers as my mains. I have the low pass turned down low and the gain about 2/3 full. This Sub Woofer is really a good one!
Ray K
Orlando, Florida

#4 of 10 Robertto

Robertto

Stunt Coordinator

• 68 posts

Posted May 29 2002 - 03:46 PM

Yes definately feel like it was a good purchase. Looking forward to finishing my system to complete the deal!

#5 of 10 Lorenzo K

Lorenzo K

Agent

• 45 posts

Posted September 10 2002 - 07:56 AM

Got my htd level 3 mains and sony wm40 works fine and sounds great with LOTR.

#6 of 10 BrettisMckinney

BrettisMckinney

Second Unit

• 281 posts

Posted September 10 2002 - 02:02 PM

I set the crossover to about 80 and the volume to about 75% and it seems to blend really well with music and HT. And definately got better with use. I also thought about the polyfill, but its perfect now so why bother i think. ALso, dont reall want it to be any quieter! Placement is definately tricky, i like it where mine is now, which is against a wall pointing at me, and it does sound good, but when i walk to say the left of the room, the bass is louder. I dont have a huge cable so i cant really play around too much with spots. Hope you enjoy!

#7 of 10 Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor

• 526 posts

Posted September 11 2002 - 11:49 AM

I let my reciever do the work (crossover), I put the sub cross over off.

What reciever do you have, and what crossover does it have?

And the location, it depends a lot on the room, closer to walls or edges icreases the sound, but its all a matter of taste, play with it, and put it where you most like it.

#8 of 10 Jeff-Watson

Jeff-Watson

Stunt Coordinator

• 184 posts

Posted September 11 2002 - 01:48 PM

Just bought one myself to replace a Jensen js1000 12" sub and boy what a difference. I am kicking myself not to have done this before. I am in the process of going through all of my dvds again to see what I have been missing. Sony definitely has a winner here.

#9 of 10 BrettisMckinney

BrettisMckinney

Second Unit

• 281 posts

Posted September 11 2002 - 03:34 PM

You cant put the sub crossover off on the sony saw-m40 can you?

#10 of 10 Jeff-Watson

Jeff-Watson

Stunt Coordinator

• 184 posts

Posted September 12 2002 - 01:59 AM

Setting the crossover to 170hz accomplishes this as anything above 170hz will be handled by the main speakers. Anything from 170hz down will be handled by the sub via your receiver. So technically you are disabling the crossover in the sub. Hope this helps.