Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

*** Official Thread - Robert Harris - Home Theater: Part One & Two - An Archaeology

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
64 replies to this topic

#1 of 65 OFFLINE   Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt

Second Unit

• 434 posts

Posted May 23 2002 - 08:45 AM

Hi Everyone!

We're pleased to present you with Robert Harris' first special feature for The Digital Bits:

Home Theater: Part One - An Archaeology

With every new column Robert writes at The Bits, we'll create an official thread here at The Home Theater Forum so you can discuss the subject with Robert and other home theater enthusiasts. So click on over to the link above, give the text a read, and come on back here to discuss it to your heart's content.

And please join us in welcoming Robert to The Digital Bits!
Bill Hunt, Editor
The Digital Bits
http://www.thedigitalbits.com
billhunt@thedigitalbits.com

#2 of 65 OFFLINE   Ike

Ike

Screenwriter

• 1,677 posts

Posted May 23 2002 - 09:08 AM

A very interesting read, and a good start. Good job.

#3 of 65 OFFLINE   Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter

• 1,568 posts

Posted May 23 2002 - 09:11 AM

Excellent - concise, informative and not without humour. Posted Image

I can genuinely say I'm looking forward to Part Two.

And Three.

And Four...

#4 of 65 OFFLINE   Chris M

Chris M

Second Unit

• 488 posts

Posted May 23 2002 - 09:17 AM

I'll second Jon's comments! Posted Image

Chris.

#5 of 65 OFFLINE   george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted May 23 2002 - 09:18 AM

Great article Bob. I must say that while I knew most of that, I was ignorant about how far back home theater went. Posted Image
"Movies should be like amusement parks. People should go to them to have fun." - Billy Wilder

"Subtitles good. Hollywood bad." - Tarzan, Sight & Sound 2012 voter.

"My films are not slices of life, they are pieces of cake." - Alfred Hitchcock"My great humility is just one of the many reasons that I...

#6 of 65 OFFLINE   Oscar

Oscar

Second Unit

• 419 posts

Posted May 23 2002 - 09:28 AM

That was just perfect.
Bill tell Todd to e-mail me please.

#7 of 65 OFFLINE   gregstaten

gregstaten

Supporting Actor

• 601 posts

Posted May 23 2002 - 09:36 AM

Great article!

It brought back memories of watching 16mm Chaplin shorts at home growing up. My mother was a school teacher and borrowed a 16mm projector from time to time. And, the local library had a decent collection of 16mm films.

How far we've come.

-greg

#8 of 65 OFFLINE   Jon_W

Jon_W

Stunt Coordinator

• 241 posts

Posted May 23 2002 - 09:45 AM

Great article Mr. Harris keep them coming.
"You Ain't Been Doin' Nothin' If You Ain't Been Called A Red" - Eliot Kenin, 1983

#9 of 65 OFFLINE   Grady Hollums

Grady Hollums

Second Unit

• 447 posts

Posted May 23 2002 - 10:00 AM

That was just wonderful. Can't wait for the next installment!
In Him,
GH

XBL Gamertag: Argon52
My Blog Sony 60" HDTV KDS-60A3000, Onkyo TX-SR707 A/V Receiver, Swan Diva Speakers, Xbox360, Sony PS3 Slim, Nintendo Wii, Denon 2802(powers the Sub), SVS Sub, Insight HD cable box, Logitech Harmony 1100 remote.

#10 of 65 OFFLINE   Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted May 23 2002 - 10:06 AM

Great read, thanks Bill and Robert.

Peace Out~Posted Image
You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#11 of 65 OFFLINE   Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina

Lead Actor

• 9,757 posts

Posted May 23 2002 - 10:37 AM

What a wonderful and informative beginning to what will surely be a must-read for any home theater fan.

Can't wait for the next episode...same bat time, same bat channel! Posted Image

XBox Live: TheL1brarian (let's play Destiny on XB1)

#12 of 65 OFFLINE   Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff

Screenwriter

• 2,858 posts

Posted May 23 2002 - 10:54 AM

Excellent article. It bought back fond memories of watching 15 minute Super 8 digest prints of SUPERMAN, STAR WARS and old Universal horrors like THE WOLFMAN and THE MUMMY.

Isn't it great that we can now own really nice copies of these films on DVD for less money than a 15 minute excerpt used to cost?

#13 of 65 OFFLINE   Scott_Morris

Scott_Morris

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted May 23 2002 - 10:57 AM

Robert, thanks for a great article! While I'm at it, thanks also for all your hard work over the years in restoring so many wonderful films!

A quick question for you -- is there any chance we'll ever see your incredible restoration of Abel Gance's Napoleon on DVD? Seeing it when it toured the country in the early 80's was one of the most amazing film-going experiences of my life. Thank you!

#14 of 65 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,389 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted May 23 2002 - 10:59 AM

Interesting. While the further articles will more likely than not rehash what most of us already know, he wonderful writing style has sucked me in as it were.

#15 of 65 OFFLINE   Andrew M

Andrew M

Second Unit

• 273 posts

Posted May 23 2002 - 11:45 AM

Ah, the glory days of 16mm! We can thank World War II for making 16mm equipment available to the masses. All those spring wound Eyemos just waiting for the American Avant-Garde filmmakers to pick them up and start shooting. All those 16mm prints run off by the studios for the troops. All those war surplus 16mm projectors waiting for audiences. We were still using Eyemos & US Government standard 16mm JAN projectors in the 1970's at the NYU Graduate Film School...

#16 of 65 OFFLINE   David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted May 23 2002 - 12:13 PM

I recall fondly watching a 16mm print of the original Dracula in my High School auditorium as a fund-raiser for the Student Govt. Since I was a member of that organization, I was amazed when I got to look at the catalog of other movie titles that could be ordered for fund-raising events!

I thought to myself, "I'd love to own every one of these!".

Now, 1200 DVD's later, my dream is coming true! Posted Image

Bob: GREAT article, and I look forward to future chapters. Well done, and very informative. I will make it "required reading" for some interested friends of mine.

Can't wait to read "DIVX is dead". Posted Image
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#17 of 65 OFFLINE   Stacey_V

Stacey_V

Stunt Coordinator

• 166 posts

Posted May 23 2002 - 12:40 PM

Concise read...perfect for my limited attention span. Thanks to Digital Bits, and Mr. Harris.

#18 of 65 OFFLINE   John M. Ford

John M. Ford

Agent

• 34 posts

Posted May 23 2002 - 12:49 PM

OMG. I had forgotten about the first reel to reel video recoders. I was stationed in Wiesbaden Germany with the Air Force when these recorders showed up the the US audio video club. The excitement was outrageous. Thank you Mr. Harris for bringing back some great memories.
johnf
Posted Image

#19 of 65 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Lead Actor

• 7,598 posts

Posted May 23 2002 - 01:01 PM

To Scott Morris:

Although I was involved in the physical presentation (five projectors, screens, orchestra members packed tightly in crates, etc.) the total - - meaning complete - - credit
for the reconstruction and restoration of Napoleon goes to Kevin Brownlow.

Who continues to come to the states from England to save our silent film heritage, interview survivors of that incredible period, create the absolute finest documentaries on the subject...

and then quietly go back to England.

The American studios should finance more of his work.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#20 of 65 OFFLINE   Ron Eastman

Ron Eastman

Second Unit

• 417 posts

Posted May 23 2002 - 04:39 PM

Wow, what a great article! I'm looking forward to many more articles from Mr. Harris. I can only hope that this additional exposure on The Bits will add to the legendary status that the film preservation/restoration community, cinemaphiles and members of HTF have known for a long time. Thank you to both Bill and to Bob for bringing this series to us.

I had nearly forgotten the 8mm film collection that my family had enjoyed for many years. After the very expensive bulb in our projector burnt out many years ago we put the celluloid to rest and took up Selectavision followed by VHS in the early to mid '80s. What a great trip back through time. Posted Image

"The last thing I want to be remembered as is an annoying blabbermouth." - Del Griffith
my home theater
my DVD collection