Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Netflix's New Distribution Centers?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 of 34 OFFLINE   Andy_S

Andy_S

Second Unit

• 393 posts

Posted May 09 2002 - 03:26 AM

Apparently Netflix has distribution centers around the country. Their web site doesn't mention where they are so I thought we can get a pretty good idea of where they are if whoever has a current Netflix subscription posts here with where they live (using largest nearest city. ie Chicago for people who live in northern Illinois) and where the returned DVD is going. I'll go first:

Me: Chicago, IL
Netflix return movie: Duluth, GA

Check out my:
Home Theater (Updated February 9th)
Artwork
Home Built MAME cabinet
Sci-Fi Models

#2 of 34 OFFLINE   Dave Gorman

Dave Gorman

Supporting Actor

• 537 posts

Posted May 09 2002 - 04:38 AM

Me: Council Bluffs, Iowa (across the river from Omaha)
Netflix: Minneapolis, MN
...And then there's the guy who saw the sign that said "Wet Floor", so he did.

#3 of 34 OFFLINE   Butch C

Butch C

Second Unit

• 282 posts

Posted May 09 2002 - 05:06 AM

I live in NY and I thought I was still sending my movies back to San Jose! Ill check tonight

#4 of 34 OFFLINE   Brook K

Brook K

Lead Actor

• 9,468 posts

Posted May 09 2002 - 05:13 AM

Duluth, GA
Duluth, GA Posted Image Posted Image
2002 Sight & Sound Challenge: 321  Last Watched: L'enfance Nue
Last 8 Films Watched: In the Loop - A- / It Might Get Loud - B+ / What Just Happened? - B / Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs - C- / Drums Along the Mohawk - A- / Punisher War Zone - B+ / Moon - C+ / A Man For All Seasons - B+

#5 of 34 OFFLINE   Jason Borchers

Jason Borchers

Second Unit

• 437 posts

Posted May 09 2002 - 08:59 AM

Mine: West Sacramento, CA

... which is about a 45-minute drive away. They usually get my returns the day after I mail them.

I had it pretty good back when San Jose was the only center, but this is even better!

#6 of 34 OFFLINE   Ted Lee

Ted Lee

Lead Actor

• 8,399 posts

Posted May 09 2002 - 09:01 AM

there's a netflix center in west sac? Posted Image

i feel a renewal coming on....

#7 of 34 OFFLINE   Gary Stevens

Gary Stevens

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted May 09 2002 - 09:33 AM

For the Boston area my return center is Worcester, MA.

Here was this week's turnaround:

Into mailbox (with 1PM pickup) Monday 5/6 in Somerville, MA.
"We've Received . ." email sent Tuesday morning.
"We've Shipped . ." email sent Tuesday afternoon.
New DVD in my hands Wednesday morning.

Not bad at all!

-Gary

#8 of 34 OFFLINE   Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy

Producer

• 3,999 posts

Posted May 09 2002 - 10:05 AM

I said in the previous Netflix thread that my distribution center is in Braintree MA, because I'd read an article about Netflix in the Washington Post that said a new center had opened there recently. Putting 2 and 2 together (this info + the vastly improved turnaround time), I presumed it was in fact Braintree.

But my return envelopes do say "Worcester MA" (which is a good bit further away from Boston than Braintree), so I'm guessing the Post had it wrong.

Still and all, the improvement has been immense!
"Only one is a wanderer;
Two together are always going somewhere."

#9 of 34 OFFLINE   Matthew_S

Matthew_S

Second Unit

• 362 posts

Posted May 09 2002 - 01:46 PM

great idea for a post! i cancelled awhile back due to the long delays. I live in North Carolina and was sending my discs to san jose, talk about stupid. does anyone live near north carolina here? Any distribution centers around here? I might renew also....

#10 of 34 OFFLINE   Rick Deschaine

Rick Deschaine

Stunt Coordinator

• 193 posts

Posted May 09 2002 - 03:25 PM

I live in Highlands Ranch, CO which is sort of a suburb of Denver.

Netflix just opened a center in Denver and it's taking 1 day for movies to get to my house.

Outstanding! Am very happy with Netflix even more now.
Why should people go out and pay to see bad movies when they can stay at home and see bad television for nothing? -Sam Goldwyn.

#11 of 34 OFFLINE   GlennH

GlennH

Screenwriter

• 2,126 posts

Posted May 09 2002 - 03:59 PM

I found an item on the new Mass. center here, dated March 18.
Quote:
Eastern expansion

NetFlix.com, the online DVD rental service based in Silicon Valley, quietly opened a distribution center in Worcester last month. It's great news for Boston-area NetFlix subscribers who previously had been mailing DVDs back and forth to the company's primary distribution center in San Jose, which ate a few days on both ends. Service is much snappier now.

NetFlix filed for an IPO earlier this month, so the company wouldn't comment officially on the new site due to the SEC's mandatory quiet period.

But word is that two more East Coast distribution centers are on the way, in New York and Maryland. More than 500,000 people pay NetFlix a monthly subscription fee — for example, $19.95 to have three DVDs out at a time.

#12 of 34 OFFLINE   Andy_S

Andy_S

Second Unit

• 393 posts

Posted May 09 2002 - 05:23 PM

BTW, I just looked at some movies that I received a while back (about 3 weeks ago) and they all go to San Jose. the only one that didn't was a new release I got last week. These new locations must be fairly new. At least the one in Duluth is.

Quote:
the company wouldn't comment officially on the new site due to the SEC's mandatory quiet period.

That explains why we can't find anything official on this. I bet they're chomping at the bit to get this info out. Long turn-around times was the #1 complaint from people on the east coast. And that's a huge market.

Check out my:
Artwork
Home Built MAME cabinet
Sci-Fi Models

#13 of 34 OFFLINE   Brian G

Brian G

Extra

• 24 posts

Posted May 09 2002 - 06:03 PM

My returns are now going to Minneapolis MN instead of San Jose, at least mine are.

#14 of 34 OFFLINE   Kevin Mical

Kevin Mical

Agent

• 25 posts

Posted May 10 2002 - 12:05 AM

I live in North Carolina, and the two movies that arrived from NetFlix this week both have return envelopes with Santa Ana addresses. You would think they'd choose a closer distribution center for my location ...

Kevin

#15 of 34 OFFLINE   Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted May 10 2002 - 12:14 AM

That brings up an interesting point on how they will handle things. For example, let's say you live in NC. The nearest center is Duluth, GA. But the #1 movie in your queue is only available from San Jose. Do you wait until they have it in Duluth or does it ship from San Jose. Also, will each DVD have to go back to the same center it came from or could you, or they, have you return it to the closest one, even if it came from the furthest one. A lot of things to consider. Also, do they already have or plan to have the same catalog of movies at each center. Sure they could have less copies of each title due to load balancing, but the list should include the same number of titles.

#16 of 34 OFFLINE   Samuel Des

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor

• 801 posts

Posted May 10 2002 - 01:02 AM

Andy - How long does it take you to get your DVDs?
I am made out of water. You wouldn't know it, because I have it bound in. My friends are made out of water, too. All of them. The problem for us is that not only do we have to walk around without being absorbed by the ground but we also have to earn our livings.

#17 of 34 OFFLINE   EricMa

EricMa

Extra

• 15 posts

Posted May 10 2002 - 03:51 AM

Well, I have a new one. I just received a disc with the return of Flushing, NY. I have yet to see this, as previous discs have been San Jose.
BTW, 3 days from the Chicagoland area to San Jose is my norm. That has been giving me a very consistant 6 to 7 day turn-around.

#18 of 34 OFFLINE   Andy_S

Andy_S

Second Unit

• 393 posts

Posted May 10 2002 - 01:33 PM

Samuel,

I used to get a DVD 3 days after they said it shipped. Lately it's taken longer but I have a feeling it has to do with the new centers opening up. They're not going to be running perfectly right out of the gate. I'm sure there are some bugs that need to be worked out of the new facilities.

Check out my:
Artwork
Home Built MAME cabinet
Sci-Fi Models

#19 of 34 OFFLINE   JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,578 posts

Posted May 10 2002 - 05:15 PM

Quote:
Netflix just opened a center in Denver and it's taking 1 day for movies to get to my house.
!!!! That probably makes me one day, or two days at the most. I think I may be trying them again. They pissed me off beyond belief about two years ago and I dumped them.

The Hybrid System

The Music Part: Emotiva XSP-1, Thiel CS 3.6, Emotiva XPA-2, Marantz SA8004, Emotiva ERC-3, SVS PB-12 Plus 2

The Surround Part: Sherbourn PT-7030, Thiel SCS3, Emotiva XPA-5, Polk & Emotiva Surrounds.

#20 of 34 OFFLINE   Mike Friedrich

Mike Friedrich

Stunt Coordinator

• 193 posts

Posted May 13 2002 - 04:12 PM

I've also noticed as of last Monday, 5/6, that they have been shipping new releases a day prior to street date, before they shipped late in the day of release.

bodymov'n Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow