Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Mulholland Drive edited?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
307 replies to this topic

#1 of 308 Prentice Cotham

Prentice Cotham

Supporting Actor

• 769 posts

Posted April 09 2002 - 03:56 AM

I saw this on DVDtalk and I wondered if anyone who has a copy could verify this.

http://www.dvdtalk.c....hreadid=198543

Apparently Mr. Lynch decided to blur some private parts.
Xbox Gamertag: badlieut

#2 of 308 Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted April 09 2002 - 04:05 AM

Just received my copy yesterday. Didn't see the film in the commercial cinema, but I'm eagerly awaiting screening the DVD.

Can somebody here elaborate on this?

#3 of 308 Dwayne

Dwayne

Supporting Actor

• 753 posts

Posted April 09 2002 - 04:15 AM

Haven't watched it yet, but what I read from that link doesn't sound good. What's even worse is that it appears that Lynch himself was responsible. I will be very disappointed if that's the case.

On another note:

Look at the back of the insert. It includes a list of clues from Lynch on unlocking Mulholland Drive although I'm not sure if I want to.
Dwayne

#4 of 308 Samuel Des

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor

• 801 posts

Posted April 09 2002 - 04:21 AM

I am made out of water. You wouldn't know it, because I have it bound in. My friends are made out of water, too. All of them. The problem for us is that not only do we have to walk around without being absorbed by the ground but we also have to earn our livings.

#5 of 308 Dwayne

Dwayne

Supporting Actor

• 753 posts

Posted April 09 2002 - 04:29 AM

It looks like this is true as the following quote is appearing on other sites:

Quote:
DAVIDLYNCH [5:30 PM PST]: WE DID THAT BLURRING FOR THE DVD ON PURPOSE AS WE KNEW THAT PICTURES OF LAURA WOULD BE EVERYWHERE IF WE DIDN'T

It's from a chat w/Lynch on his site.

More on dugpa's site:

www.dugpa.com

Doesn't seem like he really cares.

I for one do. Regardless, I'll be watching it later tonight.

I wonder if this is why screeners weren't sent out to anyone.
Dwayne

#6 of 308 Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter

• 1,711 posts

Posted April 09 2002 - 04:29 AM

Yes it's true. I watched the movie last week for the first time and noticed this right away.

It's at the part where the Dark haried girl get's undressed and climbs into bed with Betty for the first time. Her pubic region is a smooth skin-colored blur. The scene is sort of dark to begin with, but it's very noticeable.

#7 of 308 Jay E

Jay E

Screenwriter

• 2,485 posts

Posted April 09 2002 - 04:37 AM

I wonder if the studio talked to him about doing this or in any way tried to pressure him as I find it very surprising that he went ahead with this change. It's one of the few times a recent theaterical release had something softened for it's DVD release. Usually we get the tamer stuff in the theaters first and the harder stuff later on the DVD.

#8 of 308 Brajesh Upadhyay

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor

• 791 posts

Posted April 09 2002 - 04:38 AM

Very disappointing! I hate filmmakers/studios parenting us & I can't believe this is coming from Lynch of all people!
Home Theater Addict

#9 of 308 Dwayne

Dwayne

Supporting Actor

• 753 posts

Posted April 09 2002 - 04:43 AM

I also find it odd that someone like Lynch would insist on this change himself. Maybe Laura felt uncomfortable about it. But then why did she do it in the first place? It's also possible that she agreed for it be shown only theatrically. Who knows?

Lynch is taking the responsibility for it so he'll take the heat.

In the wake of all these changes that films have been going through lately, I wonder if I should care about these things if the directors themselves don't.
Dwayne

#10 of 308 Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy

Producer

• 3,999 posts

Posted April 09 2002 - 04:49 AM

First, it's Marty Scorsese's John the Baptist, and now it's David Lynch's Rita! Did I wake up in Japan this morning?
"Only one is a wanderer;
Two together are always going somewhere."

#11 of 308 Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,490 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted April 09 2002 - 04:52 AM

Lynch said he did it at the request of the actress. She didn't want it posted in screenshots all over the Internet.
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#12 of 308 Dwayne

Dwayne

Supporting Actor

• 753 posts

Posted April 09 2002 - 04:54 AM

You know, more attention will be drawn to the scene in question because of this.
Dwayne

#13 of 308 Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted April 09 2002 - 04:57 AM

Rich is thinking the way I am (or, rather, I am thinking the way he is): This sort of censorship is common in Japan. That Lynch himself authorized this is reprehensible.

So, is that scene the one occurrence? And it's blurrier than what was seen on the commercial prints?

Who wants to be the first to post about this in "Studio Feedback"? Gentlemen, start your engines.

#14 of 308 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,596 posts

Posted April 09 2002 - 05:08 AM

But really, how important is this to the story?
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#15 of 308 RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,418 posts

Posted April 09 2002 - 05:09 AM

The absurd reasoning irks me. The actress has no problem taking her clothes off for the camera, and therefore has no problem with millions of people seeing her naked (in fact, she would have been happy to see many millions MORE see her in the film than actually did), yet now she doesn't want her nudity to be seen in lower resolution in other public venues, ie DVD and the Internet? What hypocrisy.

#16 of 308 Eujin

Eujin

Supporting Actor

• 551 posts

Posted April 09 2002 - 05:10 AM

What about releases in other regions/countries? Will it be similarly edited or will be see an UNBLURRED EDITION coming out somewhere?

#17 of 308 Joseph Young

Joseph Young

Screenwriter

• 1,355 posts

Posted April 09 2002 - 05:14 AM

Patrick,

The brief shot in question is not a plot device in itself; it's also shot in very low light. For me, however, this is not so much a question of the shot's importance to the film as it is an issue of my not being given an opportunity to see the version of Mulholland Drive that I saw twice in theaters.

While I respect LH's request and Lynch's attempt to honor that request, one wonders why she agreed to do the full frontal shot at all. I would have settled for a 'tamer' shot in the theatrical version had I known they intended to censor the video version.

Joseph

#18 of 308 RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,418 posts

Posted April 09 2002 - 05:16 AM

Quote:
Will it be similarly edited or will be see an UNBLURRED EDITION coming out somewhere?

If that happens, it will be another example of a director lying about his reason for changing the original. Lynch is quoted as saying the reason is to prevent nude pictures of her from showing up on the Net. If it comes out unedited elsewhere, those pictures would show up.

#19 of 308 Sebastian_A

Sebastian_A

Stunt Coordinator

• 137 posts

Posted April 09 2002 - 05:20 AM

I'll buy the celluloid and scan it!!!

Come on, everyone saw it in cinemas, what's up with Laura? She should make up her mind BEFORE filming, not after, and especially not after the theatrical release. I seriously will get the FILM itself! Does anyone know how much a gag like this would cost?

Sebastian.

PS: Does anyone have access to Lynch's website? Someone should tell him that this is a bunch of garbage!

#20 of 308 soop.spoon

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor

• 760 posts

Posted April 09 2002 - 05:23 AM

It's Mr. Lynch's movie... he can do whatever the hell he wants to it.

Forum Nav Content I Follow