Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

What is your favorite music format?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 of 55 OFFLINE   Parker Clack

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man

• 12,120 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted March 04 2002 - 01:38 AM

I am starting up a few polls at the request of one of members Wes. This particular poll has to do with your preference for listening to music in.

The areas are:

LP 2 channel
CD 2 channel
DVD-A Multi channel
SACD 2 channel
SACD Multi Channel
DD Multi
DTS Multi
PL II

You may choose more than one area in your responses.

Parker

"I tried to get my medical records from the company but they say they

are confidential and can only be released to other insurance companies,

pharmaceutical​ reps, suppliers of medical equipment and for some

reason the RNC."

#2 of 55 OFFLINE   Bill Eberhardt

Bill Eberhardt

Stunt Coordinator

• 155 posts

Posted March 04 2002 - 03:11 AM

None of the above. I rarely just listen to music - I'm always doing something else at the same time. At the gym or on my trike I listen to fm radio. I listen to am radio in my car, my wife listens to xm radio in her car. If I want music while using my computer, I'll tune into Spinner.com.

I have some multi-channel recordings but like I said, I don't like to just sit and listen. And multi-channel isn't that great if I'm moving around.

The only format that will get me sitting down and paying attention is DVD-video - best in DTS 5.1. So that has to be my favorite.

#3 of 55 OFFLINE   Paul E. Fox, II

Paul E. Fox, II

Second Unit

• 354 posts

Posted March 04 2002 - 03:26 AM

Not being an audiophile, I still prefer the shiny little discs.

Also, I voted for Multi-channel DVD-Audio and SACD, but truthfully have never really heard either. I'm casting a vote into the future based on my pre-disposition towards Multi-Channel music already existing on DVD.

Regards,
Paul

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety."
--Benjamin Franklin

#4 of 55 OFFLINE   Artur Meinild

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter

• 1,300 posts

Posted March 04 2002 - 04:54 AM

I've chosen CD 2 channel and DTS multichannel, beacuse I've not yet experienced SACD or DVD-A.
A r t u r M e i n i l d
People Strategy Consultant (M.Sc. Eng.)Semi-professional Composer & Musician

#5 of 55 OFFLINE   TheoGB

TheoGB

Screenwriter

• 1,753 posts

Posted March 04 2002 - 06:12 AM

I don't see Mini-Disc? I listen to that most as I'm rarely able to get the time at home and can't at work...Posted Image

#6 of 55 OFFLINE   StevenW

StevenW

Second Unit

• 363 posts

Posted March 04 2002 - 07:30 AM

CD 2Channel for the mere fact that there is nothing worth while for me to listen to on any other format yet.

#7 of 55 OFFLINE   Kevin P

Kevin P

Screenwriter

• 1,444 posts

Posted March 04 2002 - 07:57 AM

I voted for SACD-2 channel and CD-2 channel. If MiniDisc was on the list I would have voted for that too.

KJP

#8 of 55 OFFLINE   MikeH1

MikeH1

Screenwriter

• 1,498 posts

Posted March 04 2002 - 10:22 AM

I listen to minidisc as well but its definetly not my favorite. Perhaps all I need though is a better player for I can hear a big difference between this and CD. I also like Denon's 5 channel stereo, even more than DPL 2.

#9 of 55 OFFLINE   HankM

HankM

Second Unit

• 337 posts

Posted March 04 2002 - 12:16 PM

I voted 2ch SACD as my favorite but listen mostly to CD's & LP's. I have about 50 lp's and 300 cd's. I own 10 SACD titles and 6 DVD-A titles.
My DVD Collection

My System

"Perhaps you could warn them, if only you spoke Hovitos"

#10 of 55 OFFLINE   Emmett Maguire

Emmett Maguire

Agent

• 48 posts

Posted March 04 2002 - 12:29 PM

DTS 5.1 DD 5.1 than CD 2

I haven't the capability to play DVD-A yet but I have 5 DVD-A discs that I really like in DD or DTS.

Regards
EJ

#11 of 55 OFFLINE   KeithH

KeithH

Lead Actor

• 9,427 posts

Posted March 04 2002 - 12:35 PM

Those who know me I'm sure will not be surprised to hear that I voted for two-channel SACD. Now, the fact that CD is winning the poll at this point leads me to believe that a fair number of people who have voted at this point have not had the good fortune of hearing SACD yet. Posted Image
My:
Main Stereo and HT Systems ;
Second Stereo System ;
Equipment List ; DVDs, SACDs, and more ;
Planned Upgrades and Additions "You know, the tomato never took off as a handfruit."- George Costanza

#12 of 55 OFFLINE   KeithH

KeithH

Lead Actor

• 9,427 posts

Posted March 04 2002 - 12:38 PM

Parker, you should have included two-channel DVD-Audio. With the exception of early releases, Warner has been including discrete stereo tracks on DVD-Audio discs. In my opinion, two-channel DVD-Audio (and two-channel SACD) shows what the format can really do in comparison to CD.
My:
Main Stereo and HT Systems ;
Second Stereo System ;
Equipment List ; DVDs, SACDs, and more ;
Planned Upgrades and Additions "You know, the tomato never took off as a handfruit."- George Costanza

#13 of 55 OFFLINE   Wes

Wes

Screenwriter

• 1,190 posts
  • LocationUtah USA

Posted March 04 2002 - 12:43 PM

Thanks Parker for creating these music Polls!

My intent for this poll was for serious home listening not casual back ground if that helps!

I love Multi channel but am sometimes not pleased with the way they are mixed. I do not have Prologic II, DVD-A or SACD yet so I do all my stereo listening in Prologic 1, DD and DTS. I am hoping Polls like this and others I have suggested will help the sound engineers if they visit the HTF get an idea what we would like to hear in recordings.

Wes
My Theater Web Site:
www.prosteering.8k.com

#14 of 55 OFFLINE   John Tillman

John Tillman

Supporting Actor

• 598 posts

Posted March 04 2002 - 12:47 PM

The two channel DVD-A category is MIA. That is where you would find the killer 192kHz mixes.

Edit - just noticed Keith said the same thing.
__
JT

#15 of 55 OFFLINE   Shawn C

Shawn C

Screenwriter

• 1,434 posts

Posted March 04 2002 - 02:34 PM

I just bought two more DVD-A titles today. Whoooooooooowwwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!! Man, do those sounds AWESOME.

I picked up BB King & Eric Clapton - Ridin' with the King and Eagles - Hotel California.

The sounds is just so far above and beyond CD, it really is amazing. I could NOT believe my ears. It made my Yamaha-Klipsch sound un-freakin-believeable. Man, is it ever amazing.

#16 of 55 OFFLINE   Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton

Lead Actor

• 7,588 posts

Posted March 04 2002 - 02:38 PM

I would have said 2 channel DVD-A as well.

I'm sitting on 1100 CDs so I listen to 2 channel obviously, but lately I've been digging the DVD-A multi stuff. It gives some of these great albums a fresh perspective and has me listening to them again a lot.

Just bought LA Woman, Workingman's Dead, Tigerlilly, Foreigner 4...already had Welcome to My Nightmare, American Beauty, Rumors, Hotel Cali. And DTS of At Fillmore East and Gaucho.

So here I am listening to LA Woman and Rumors like they just came out yesterday...kinda nostalgic.

#17 of 55 OFFLINE   JimChan

JimChan

Stunt Coordinator

• 88 posts

Posted March 04 2002 - 10:36 PM

I agree what others said that DVD-A 2 channel should be included.

#18 of 55 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,550 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted March 05 2002 - 06:26 AM

I would take ANY of those formats, though basically all of my listenting tends to be CD/2ch. I don't own an SA player yet, because I am waiting for there to be enough titles that I would like to own to make it worth my while. Based on my DD/DTS music listening though, I have to say that well done multi-channel is a great format. I have listened to SA multi-channel setups though, and I think it sounds great.
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#19 of 55 OFFLINE   DarrylWHarrisJr

DarrylWHarrisJr

Stunt Coordinator

• 200 posts

Posted March 06 2002 - 07:07 AM

2 channel dvd-a

hotel cali and ridin' with the king are smacking my entire system around like a sissy!Posted Image

#20 of 55 OFFLINE   Parker Clack

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man

• 12,120 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted March 06 2002 - 09:39 AM

Alright. 2 Channel DVD-A is now included. I added in the votes of those that said they would have chosen 2 channel DVD-A into the counting.

Parker

"I tried to get my medical records from the company but they say they

are confidential and can only be released to other insurance companies,

pharmaceutical​ reps, suppliers of medical equipment and for some

reason the RNC."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users