What's new

What is your favorite music format? (1 Viewer)

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I am starting up a few polls at the request of one of members Wes. This particular poll has to do with your preference for listening to music in.

The areas are:

LP 2 channel

CD 2 channel

DVD-A Multi channel

SACD 2 channel

SACD Multi Channel

DD Multi

DTS Multi

PL II

You may choose more than one area in your responses.

Parker

Bill Eberhardt

Stunt Coordinator
None of the above. I rarely just listen to music - I'm always doing something else at the same time. At the gym or on my trike I listen to fm radio. I listen to am radio in my car, my wife listens to xm radio in her car. If I want music while using my computer, I'll tune into Spinner.com.

I have some multi-channel recordings but like I said, I don't like to just sit and listen. And multi-channel isn't that great if I'm moving around.

The only format that will get me sitting down and paying attention is DVD-video - best in DTS 5.1. So that has to be my favorite.

Paul E. Fox II

Second Unit
Not being an audiophile, I still prefer the shiny little discs.
Also, I voted for Multi-channel DVD-Audio and SACD, but truthfully have never really heard either. I'm casting a vote into the future based on my pre-disposition towards Multi-Channel music already existing on DVD.

TheoGB

Screenwriter
I don't see Mini-Disc? I listen to that most as I'm rarely able to get the time at home and can't at work...:frowning:

StevenW

Second Unit
CD 2Channel for the mere fact that there is nothing worth while for me to listen to on any other format yet.

Kevin P

Screenwriter
I voted for SACD-2 channel and CD-2 channel. If MiniDisc was on the list I would have voted for that too.

KJP

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
I listen to minidisc as well but its definetly not my favorite. Perhaps all I need though is a better player for I can hear a big difference between this and CD. I also like Denon's 5 channel stereo, even more than DPL 2.

HankM

Second Unit
I voted 2ch SACD as my favorite but listen mostly to CD's & LP's. I have about 50 lp's and 300 cd's. I own 10 SACD titles and 6 DVD-A titles.

DTS 5.1 DD 5.1 than CD 2

I haven't the capability to play DVD-A yet but I have 5 DVD-A discs that I really like in DD or DTS.

Regards

EJ

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Those who know me I'm sure will not be surprised to hear that I voted for two-channel SACD. Now, the fact that CD is winning the poll at this point leads me to believe that a fair number of people who have voted at this point have not had the good fortune of hearing SACD yet. :D

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Parker, you should have included two-channel DVD-Audio. With the exception of early releases, Warner has been including discrete stereo tracks on DVD-Audio discs. In my opinion, two-channel DVD-Audio (and two-channel SACD) shows what the format can really do in comparison to CD.

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
Thanks Parker for creating these music Polls!

My intent for this poll was for serious home listening not casual back ground if that helps!

I love Multi channel but am sometimes not pleased with the way they are mixed. I do not have Prologic II, DVD-A or SACD yet so I do all my stereo listening in Prologic 1, DD and DTS. I am hoping Polls like this and others I have suggested will help the sound engineers if they visit the HTF get an idea what we would like to hear in recordings.

Wes

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
The two channel DVD-A category is MIA. That is where you would find the killer 192kHz mixes.

Edit - just noticed Keith said the same thing.

Shawn C

Screenwriter
I just bought two more DVD-A titles today. Whoooooooooowwwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!! Man, do those sounds AWESOME.

I picked up BB King & Eric Clapton - Ridin' with the King and Eagles - Hotel California.

The sounds is just so far above and beyond CD, it really is amazing. I could NOT believe my ears. It made my Yamaha-Klipsch sound un-freakin-believeable. Man, is it ever amazing.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I would have said 2 channel DVD-A as well.

I'm sitting on 1100 CDs so I listen to 2 channel obviously, but lately I've been digging the DVD-A multi stuff. It gives some of these great albums a fresh perspective and has me listening to them again a lot.

Just bought LA Woman, Workingman's Dead, Tigerlilly, Foreigner 4...already had Welcome to My Nightmare, American Beauty, Rumors, Hotel Cali. And DTS of At Fillmore East and Gaucho.

So here I am listening to LA Woman and Rumors like they just came out yesterday...kinda nostalgic.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I would take ANY of those formats, though basically all of my listenting tends to be CD/2ch. I don't own an SA player yet, because I am waiting for there to be enough titles that I would like to own to make it worth my while. Based on my DD/DTS music listening though, I have to say that well done multi-channel is a great format. I have listened to SA multi-channel setups though, and I think it sounds great.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Alright. 2 Channel DVD-A is now included. I added in the votes of those that said they would have chosen 2 channel DVD-A into the counting.

Parker

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks