Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

***Official THE MATRIX Discussion Thread***

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
236 replies to this topic

#1 of 237 OFFLINE   Rob Longmore

Rob Longmore

Stunt Coordinator

• 59 posts

Posted February 17 2002 - 05:31 PM

The Matrix, im sure all of you here have seen it, and more than once!

But did you get it?

What is the matrix? or should it be
Who was the matrix?

if he had the power to control the matrix, change it to his will, then wouldnt he be the creator? Human or AI?
'They scream a lot', "Whats so funny about chopping someones toes off?" 'You know, the way they just.. drop off'

#2 of 237 OFFLINE   Scott Burke

Scott Burke

Second Unit

• 351 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted February 17 2002 - 05:57 PM

I have seen it multiple times, and in the movie Morpheus states that someone had freed him. Nowhere in the movie does Morpheus talk about Neo looking or being the previous person, so I do not think he is the originator.

#3 of 237 OFFLINE   Josh_Hill

Josh_Hill

Screenwriter

• 1,051 posts

Posted February 17 2002 - 09:15 PM

The guy who freed Morpheus and the others said that he would find the One- Neo.

#4 of 237 OFFLINE   Sean Oneil

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor

• 936 posts

Posted February 17 2002 - 10:30 PM

Sort of off topic -I have always been curious, and maybe I am just dumb and completely missed something... But in the beginning of the film you overhear Cypher talking to Trinity and saying "We're gonna kill em'" in what seems to be a refrence to Neo.

I wonder if Trinity will turn out to be a 'judas' in the sequel(s)? Or were Trinity and Cypher even talking about Neo?

#5 of 237 OFFLINE   Ike

Ike

Screenwriter

• 1,677 posts

Posted February 17 2002 - 11:09 PM

Sean,

They were referring to the fact that tearing him from his known reality, putting him through training, and calling him the leader would get him killed. Her reply, if I remember, is something along the lines of, "But Morpheus believes he is the one."

Whatever, I got it. It's an action film. What's not to get?

#6 of 237 OFFLINE   Brian_J

Brian_J

Second Unit

• 421 posts

Posted February 18 2002 - 04:03 PM

A damn fine film it is and I for one cannot wait for the sequels. At the same time I also fear the sequels...because after all...they are sequels.

Brian
Zed's Dead Baby...

XBOX Tag: DreadMantis

#7 of 237 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,391 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted February 18 2002 - 04:05 PM

Quote:
if he had the power to control the matrix, change it to his will, then wouldnt he be the creator? Human or AI?
The A.I. is still the creator. Neo is more like the editor of the Matrix.

#8 of 237 OFFLINE   Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton

Lead Actor

• 7,588 posts

Posted February 18 2002 - 04:23 PM

So you're saying his nickname should be Notepad?
Posted Image

#9 of 237 OFFLINE   Tom-G

Tom-G

Screenwriter

• 1,646 posts

Posted February 18 2002 - 04:31 PM

Posted Image

#10 of 237 OFFLINE   Shawn C

Shawn C

Screenwriter

• 1,434 posts

Posted February 18 2002 - 04:44 PM

What I didn't understand in the Matrix was as soon as Neo gets 'awoken', what is that robot that comes down and grabs him by the neck to check him out, and then goes away? What the heck was that thing?

Was it from the rebel ship, was it from the Matrix? What was the deal?

#11 of 237 OFFLINE   John Wielgosz

John Wielgosz

Stunt Coordinator

• 155 posts

Posted February 18 2002 - 04:57 PM

The robot that removed Neo/Anderson from the connections was one of the AI units. It basically detected a fault and disconnected the "erroneous unit". Neo surely would have died after being flushed out of the system had the Neba...Nebu... (darn spelling!) the rebel ship not been awaiting. It looks like a common procedure that the resistance exploits to extract people out of the Matrix.

#12 of 237 OFFLINE   Paul Jenkins

Paul Jenkins

Supporting Actor

• 965 posts

Posted February 18 2002 - 05:01 PM

Quote:
What I didn't understand in the Matrix was as soon as Neo gets 'awoken', what is that robot that comes down and grabs him by the neck to check him out, and then goes away? What the heck was that thing?

The Matrix is an artificial world created purely in a computer. People are 'inserted' into the matrix by way of plugging their brains into the 'Matrix' network. When they 'awaken' Neo, they are merely pulling the plug on the connection between his brain and the Matrix network. Until that time, he has only 'known' the Matrix and has not really experienced/felt/touched anything because he had been in the pod his entire life. The robot you see coming to check him out is part of the 'real world', Earth, which has been decimated by the war between man and the machines. Neo is taken from his original pod to the Nebekenezer(sp?) which is the ship that Morpheus commands (also part of the 'real world').

More details if you need them, but it does help to watch the movie a couple of times (and smoke something with it every now and again Posted Image)
Regards,
Paul Jenkins
Jenkins For Congress
Texas 3rd District
http://www.jenkins2004.comhttp://www.texas3rd.com

#13 of 237 OFFLINE   Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter

• 1,541 posts

Posted February 18 2002 - 05:57 PM

Quote:
Matrix! did you get it!

Hell yeah I got it. First DVD I ever bought! Posted Image Posted Image
God bless!
jeffrey noel

As we slide down the banister of life, may the splinters never point the wrong way.

#14 of 237 OFFLINE   Dave Barth

Dave Barth

Stunt Coordinator

• 230 posts

Posted February 18 2002 - 08:01 PM

I am hoping that Morpheus turns out to be a bit of an unreliable historian. Some of the back story is awfully contrived IMHO. I'd rather they not change it than tell or show us things that are inconsistent with the first movie, but I would love for something more plausible than "humans = batteries" to be developed as an explanation for why the AIs breed humans.

#15 of 237 OFFLINE   Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter

• 1,869 posts

Posted February 18 2002 - 08:04 PM

If I programmed the machines I'd have the robot that unplugged Neo shock him to stop his heart. The body would still end up in the same place and decompose to recycled goop.

btw, The ship is Nebuchadnezzar which is the same name as a Legendary wizard in magic. (fantasy CG)

What I don't understand is how a human could be considered a battery. We are consumers, not producers and if the machines have technology of fusion then why not use it to turn a cup of water into all the energy they need.

It would save the electricity necessary to manage a super computer program as complicated as the matrix. The necessary computer power to run the matrix is mind blowing. Every human being has an infinite number of possibilities during their finite life time.

One other thing, AI itself seems far fetched. Computers operate by following a sequence of operations. How is a written order of operations supposed to spawn into an individual consiouseness?

Last, I enjoyed the dvd and own one Posted Image

#16 of 237 OFFLINE   TheoGB

TheoGB

Screenwriter

• 1,753 posts

Posted February 19 2002 - 12:06 AM

Actually the totally implausible nature of the batteries thing is one of the reason I liked The Matrix. It wasn't like a small plot hole where it nags at you and just drags the movie down. It's such a monsterly ridiculous idea that you just have to ignore and get down to enjoying the movie.Posted Image

#17 of 237 OFFLINE   KlausWinkler

KlausWinkler

Agent

• 36 posts

Posted February 19 2002 - 12:29 AM

What is the Matrix?
It's a cheap excuse to put a lot of unrealistic stunts in the movie...

And the ship's name is in the Bible...
--
Klaus

#18 of 237 OFFLINE   Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter

• 1,224 posts

Posted February 19 2002 - 12:40 AM

Quote:
Christ Tsutsui wrote:

One other thing, AI itself seems far fetched. Computers operate by following a sequence of operations. How is a written order of operations supposed to spawn into an individual consiouseness?

The whole thing revolves around Moore's law. Moore's law dictates that computing power doubles every two - five years. In the Matrix, the computer technology in that film has reached the subatomic levels, leaving the possibility for machines to become intelligent and self-aware. If you think about it, our brain is nothing more than a written order of operations to power our body (from our heart to other organs). Essentially, our minds/brains are no different than a computer's CPU.

#19 of 237 OFFLINE   Paul Jenkins

Paul Jenkins

Supporting Actor

• 965 posts

Posted February 19 2002 - 12:42 AM

Quote:
Essentially, our minds/brains are no different than a computer's CPU.

this argument is a favorite of AI people, but it isn't true. a computer CPU and the human brain are very different. we are just scratching the surface of how the brain actually works, and it isn't like a CPU architecture at all. Another in the myriad of reasons why AI is so far off at the current pace...
Regards,
Paul Jenkins
Jenkins For Congress
Texas 3rd District
http://www.jenkins2004.comhttp://www.texas3rd.com

#20 of 237 OFFLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,539 posts

Posted February 19 2002 - 12:54 AM

Quote:
And the ship's name is in the Bible...

I think it's the name of an ancient king.

Back to Movies (Theatrical)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow