Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

My Malata picture is very grainy and shows artifacts - any ideas why?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 41,778 posts

Posted February 08 2002 - 03:30 PM

I bought the Malata N966 a few weeks ago. Hooked up originally with S-VIDEO and just recently, disconnected the S-VIDEO and went with very good component cable from Better Cables. I properly hooked the RED, GREEN, BLUE cables to both the output of the Malata and input of my Toshiba. I went into the Malata setup selected PROGRESSIVE scan mode. The player plays fine except that the picture is very grainy compared to my Panasonic RP91. In addition, I can see shimmering effects in the picture on rooftops and walls. Could there be another adjustment that I have overlooked that is basically making my Malata picture look like shit? Thanks in advance for the help.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   RicP

RicP

Screenwriter

• 1,127 posts

Posted February 08 2002 - 03:37 PM

[quote]

I can see shimmering effects in the

[quote] Just checking, but you did tell the Malata that you have a 16:9 set right?

Also, play around with the Video Filters in the 'expert' menu under Video. They make a HUGE difference if you choose the wrong one. Unfortunately they are mostly a trial & error thing to determine which is best for the current disc.

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 41,778 posts

Posted February 08 2002 - 03:42 PM

Yes, I did select 16:9. I know about the filters (have not tried them yet), but since ALL the discs I have put in the player look like crap, I figured that it probably wasn't the filter setting. Perhaps I am wrong. Also... Player was manufactured in November 2001. I see no switch in the back. There is a small open slot/slit that says UPGRADE NORMAL. Is this the switch? I just thought a switch would be a noticeable toggle switch.

Ronald J Epstein

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Marc Alexander

Marc Alexander

Stunt Coordinator

• 134 posts

Posted February 08 2002 - 03:59 PM

SMART filter should work for most DVDs. On many DVDs with bad flags and PAL dvds, STILL often is best. Ron, can you post your settings (both basic and expert)? The Malata menu is not very intuitive and can be cryptic at times. It took a while before I figured out what everything meant, but I have a good handle on them now. I just don't have it in front of me for reference at this time. Also, make sure you disconnect other video connections completely...they will adversely affect the progressive component output!
-------------------------
Equipment List
Mitsubishi 65807 HDTV
Kenwood VR-2090 DD/DTS Reciever; CD-3280 200 Disc ChangerKlipsch Synergy SpeakersKSF-10.5 mains; KSF-C5 center; KSF-S5 surrounds; KSW-300 subwooferOnkyo TX-DS474 DD ReceiverEnergy Take 5 SpeakersPanasonic...

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   Marc Alexander

Marc Alexander

Stunt Coordinator

• 134 posts

Posted February 16 2002 - 02:22 PM

Ron, did you find the problem? Or does your Malata output still look like crap?
Equipment List
Mitsubishi 65807 HDTV
Kenwood VR-2090 DD/DTS Reciever; CD-3280 200 Disc ChangerKlipsch Synergy SpeakersKSF-10.5 mains; KSF-C5 center; KSF-S5 surrounds; KSW-300 subwooferOnkyo TX-DS474 DD ReceiverEnergy Take 5 SpeakersPanasonic...

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 41,778 posts

Posted February 16 2002 - 03:10 PM

Marc, All is well. The settings on the Toshiba were totally off in the new component mode I plugged the player into. I had thought that Gregg's calibration was across the board on all inputs. This input's settings were too high for brightness and sharpness. After the adjustments, the Malata looked great. Thanks.

Ronald J Epstein

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users