What's new

DVDs soon? Raiders and Temple of Doom in on HDTV in 5.1 next month! (1 Viewer)

Brett Cameron

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone who has HDTV is really lucky! ABC will be airing Raiders Of The Lost Ark and Temple of Doom in High Def with 5.1 sound on February 17th and 18th. Wonder if the dvds are coming soon?

Marque D

Stunt Coordinator
I thought that was really cool that Indian Jones was going to be in HDTV before DVD. Man I've got to find a way to record this with out buying a Panny Combo or a new Mits Diamond and their new D-VHS recorder. Perhaps a one of these HDTV Tuners for your computer will do the trick.

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
You might want to note that while the broadcast is in Dolby Digital, the films are being cropped from 2.35:1 to 1.78:1.

ABC did this with Jaws when they aired in HDTV.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
So, this obviously means high definition transfers are done for these films. That would be great if the DVDs are around the corner. I'm not getting my hopes up though.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
It has been long believed that high-def transfers were done quite a while ago - at least, that was once the rumor.

MikeAW

Second Unit
It's a waste, to do it on HDTV and send it out to Eisner and a handful of HDTV owners out there...when the majority of us are just sitting on our collective thumbs, waiting for the DVD/VHS remasters. Bad strategy unless it's being tied into a DVD release for mass consumption.

First blush is to compliment them, and of course WATCH ABC...but it shows an arrogance and a distinct disdain for the majority of consumers, who are replaying their VHS's into shreaded tape. It sends everyone running to sub-standard, MPEG, VCD copies too, you can get Lucas in his pocketbook where he hurts, if you want to.

The tipoff was Lucas releaseing his generally, coldly received prequel to Star Wars on DVD, while the the heart of his catalog is sitting there on the shelf.

I would have loved to been at those marketing meeetings! They blew this one, but at least ABC will come out on top, and VCR's will be rolling all over the world on this one!

I'm sure the DVD mastering has already been done and

they're sitting on it, like they expect something to hatch here !

It's a free country but sometimes, something like this can bite you back in the butt...really hard !

Gary_E

Second Unit
You might want to note that while the broadcast is in Dolby Digital, the films are being cropped from 2.35:1 to 1.78:1.
ABC has been pretty good about OAR on their HD movie broadcasts. I wouldn't be so quick to discount this presentation. Just last week Alien Resurrection was in its OAR and the DD 5.1 was very good.
See this post and follow the link to the schedule: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=41762
-Gary

CamiloCamacho

Stunt Coordinator
But there are going to be a few people who will have the Indy's DVD's before us. The owners of the new DVD Recorders!.

I hope someone record it and tell us the experience, if it´s good, i will buy one (and i´m sure a few will)

Marque D

Stunt Coordinator
But there are going to be a few people who will have the Indy's DVD's before us. The owners of the new DVD Recorders!.

I hope someone record it and tell us the experience, if it´s good, i will buy one (and i´m sure a few will)

But if they record it off of ABC's NTSC feed it will be 4:3 Pan-&-Scan with no DD 5.1. Thus it would not be, that big of a deal.

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
Don't forget "modified for content and time alotted".

They always do something, even when they promise an uncut presantation. I have lost faith in the networks' ability to so movies on TV long ago.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I'm real curious to hear how the transfer looks when televised, since, I assume, this will be the same transfer for the DVD. Hopefully, they got it right.

Mike Friedrich

Stunt Coordinator
Did anyone record the Indy OAR versions off the Sci-Fi channel a while back ? DBS to VHS/SVHS, I did the latter with commercial editing.
bdoymov'n :cool:

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Actually, you should be able to make an anamorphic DVD from this using current equipment. And some people surely will.
You can configure an RCA DTC-100 settop box to output HD broadcasts as anamorphic 480i via the s-video output. This can be run into a stand-alone DVD recorder (Panasonic, Pioneer), no problem. Likewise, the analog outputs of the DTC-100 can output a stereo downmixed soundtrack which you can route into the recorder, yielding a DD2.0 soundtrack (which may even be Prologic, I haven't tried).
I'm not sure if the recorder would get the flags right, but a player like the Panasonic RP-56 would almost certainly output the resulting DVD picture as proper 480p with the 3:2 pulldown processed.
Of course, if they crop it this would hardly be worth it.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
With this film being in 2.35, like all the early spielberg stuff(i dont know what ET was), why doesnt spielberg make movies in 2.35 anymore?

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
E.T. was 1.85:1 Flat.

The last film directed by Steven Spielberg that was 2.35:1 Scope was Hook.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
but why hos aversion to scope now. If any film begged for scope it was AI.

Hopefully minority report will be scope.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Why the wider is better feeling? Personally, I thought A.I. was well suited to scope, as the cast of characters is minimal in each scene.

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor
I'm readying my DVD recorder to record both 'Raiders' & 'Doom' :)
Wish they were also showing 'Last Crusade', but 2 out of 3 ain't bad. They'll tide me over until the real deal DVDs come out.

Troy LaMont

Supporting Actor
Michael,

You can configure an RCA DTC-100 settop box to output HD broadcasts as anamorphic 480i via the s-video output.
That's a new one on me! I've tried to downconvert 480p (from Fox) via the DTC-100 with no success (s-video). Is there some other 'trick' that I'm not aware? I've also tried with some HD feeds (from CBS) as well with no luck.

Do you have to do to the service menus?

Troy

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Just curious...sounds like a dumb question, but can anyone actually watch the movies, or does ABC have its own HD station?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks