Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

DVDs soon? Raiders and Temple of Doom in on HDTV in 5.1 next month!

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 of 44 OFFLINE   Brett Cameron

Brett Cameron

Stunt Coordinator

• 89 posts

Posted January 26 2002 - 10:09 PM

Anyone who has HDTV is really lucky! ABC will be airing Raiders Of The Lost Ark and Temple of Doom in High Def with 5.1 sound on February 17th and 18th. Wonder if the dvds are coming soon?

#2 of 44 OFFLINE   Marque D

Marque D

Stunt Coordinator

• 222 posts

Posted January 26 2002 - 11:31 PM

I thought that was really cool that Indian Jones was going to be in HDTV before DVD. Man I've got to find a way to record this with out buying a Panny Combo or a new Mits Diamond and their new D-VHS recorder. Perhaps a one of these HDTV Tuners for your computer will do the trick.

#3 of 44 OFFLINE   rutger_s

rutger_s

Supporting Actor

• 878 posts

Posted January 26 2002 - 11:38 PM

You might want to note that while the broadcast is in Dolby Digital, the films are being cropped from 2.35:1 to 1.78:1. ABC did this with Jaws when they aired in HDTV.

#4 of 44 OFFLINE   Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,287 posts

Posted January 27 2002 - 01:23 AM

So, this obviously means high definition transfers are done for these films. That would be great if the DVDs are around the corner. I'm not getting my hopes up though.

#5 of 44 OFFLINE   alan halvorson

alan halvorson

Screenwriter

• 2,021 posts

Posted January 27 2002 - 03:49 AM

It has been long believed that high-def transfers were done quite a while ago - at least, that was once the rumor.
They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
- Napoleon XIV

#6 of 44 OFFLINE   MikeAW

MikeAW

Second Unit

• 456 posts

Posted January 27 2002 - 06:05 AM

It's a waste, to do it on HDTV and send it out to Eisner and a handful of HDTV owners out there...when the majority of us are just sitting on our collective thumbs, waiting for the DVD/VHS remasters. Bad strategy unless it's being tied into a DVD release for mass consumption. First blush is to compliment them, and of course WATCH ABC...but it shows an arrogance and a distinct disdain for the majority of consumers, who are replaying their VHS's into shreaded tape. It sends everyone running to sub-standard, MPEG, VCD copies too, you can get Lucas in his pocketbook where he hurts, if you want to. The tipoff was Lucas releaseing his generally, coldly received prequel to Star Wars on DVD, while the the heart of his catalog is sitting there on the shelf. I would have loved to been at those marketing meeetings! They blew this one, but at least ABC will come out on top, and VCR's will be rolling all over the world on this one! I'm sure the DVD mastering has already been done and they're sitting on it, like they expect something to hatch here ! It's a free country but sometimes, something like this can bite you back in the butt...really hard !

#7 of 44 OFFLINE   Gary_E

Gary_E

Second Unit

• 370 posts

Posted January 27 2002 - 09:07 AM

Quote:

You might want to note that while the broadcast is in Dolby Digital, the films are being cropped from 2.35:1 to 1.78:1.

ABC has been pretty good about OAR on their HD movie broadcasts. I wouldn't be so quick to discount this presentation. Just last week Alien Resurrection was in its OAR and the DD 5.1 was very good.

See this post and follow the link to the schedule: http://www.hometheat....threadid=41762

-Gary

#8 of 44 OFFLINE   CamiloCamacho

CamiloCamacho

Stunt Coordinator

• 124 posts

Posted January 27 2002 - 03:48 PM

But there are going to be a few people who will have the Indy's DVD's before us. The owners of the new DVD Recorders!. I hope someone record it and tell us the experience, if it´s good, i will buy one (and i´m sure a few will)

#9 of 44 OFFLINE   Marque D

Marque D

Stunt Coordinator

• 222 posts

Posted January 27 2002 - 06:54 PM

Quote:
But there are going to be a few people who will have the Indy's DVD's before us. The owners of the new DVD Recorders!. I hope someone record it and tell us the experience, if it´s good, i will buy one (and i´m sure a few will)
But if they record it off of ABC's NTSC feed it will be 4:3 Pan-&-Scan with no DD 5.1. Thus it would not be, that big of a deal.

#10 of 44 OFFLINE   AaronMK

AaronMK

Supporting Actor

• 768 posts
  • LocationOrlando, FL

Posted January 27 2002 - 07:18 PM

Don't forget "modified for content and time alotted". They always do something, even when they promise an uncut presantation. I have lost faith in the networks' ability to so movies on TV long ago.

#11 of 44 OFFLINE   Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,287 posts

Posted January 27 2002 - 08:51 PM

I'm real curious to hear how the transfer looks when televised, since, I assume, this will be the same transfer for the DVD. Hopefully, they got it right.

#12 of 44 OFFLINE   Mike Friedrich

Mike Friedrich

Stunt Coordinator

• 193 posts

Posted January 27 2002 - 09:02 PM

Did anyone record the Indy OAR versions off the Sci-Fi channel a while back ? DBS to VHS/SVHS, I did the latter with commercial editing.

bdoymov'n Posted Image

#13 of 44 OFFLINE   Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair

Producer

• 6,009 posts

Posted January 27 2002 - 09:06 PM

Actually, you should be able to make an anamorphic DVD from this using current equipment. And some people surely will.

You can configure an RCA DTC-100 settop box to output HD broadcasts as anamorphic 480i via the s-video output. This can be run into a stand-alone DVD recorder (Panasonic, Pioneer), no problem. Likewise, the analog outputs of the DTC-100 can output a stereo downmixed soundtrack which you can route into the recorder, yielding a DD2.0 soundtrack (which may even be Prologic, I haven't tried).

I'm not sure if the recorder would get the flags right, but a player like the Panasonic RP-56 would almost certainly output the resulting DVD picture as proper 480p with the 3:2 pulldown processed.

Of course, if they crop it this would hardly be worth it.

#14 of 44 OFFLINE   Sean Moon

Sean Moon

Screenwriter

• 2,045 posts

Posted January 27 2002 - 11:10 PM

With this film being in 2.35, like all the early spielberg stuff(i dont know what ET was), why doesnt spielberg make movies in 2.35 anymore?
http://doctordoom.blogspot.com

We must stand in awe of the infinite capacity of the human mind to reject the introduction of useful knowledge.

#15 of 44 OFFLINE   rutger_s

rutger_s

Supporting Actor

• 878 posts

Posted January 27 2002 - 11:42 PM

E.T. was 1.85:1 Flat. The last film directed by Steven Spielberg that was 2.35:1 Scope was Hook.

#16 of 44 OFFLINE   Sean Moon

Sean Moon

Screenwriter

• 2,045 posts

Posted January 27 2002 - 11:56 PM

but why hos aversion to scope now. If any film begged for scope it was AI. Hopefully minority report will be scope.
http://doctordoom.blogspot.com

We must stand in awe of the infinite capacity of the human mind to reject the introduction of useful knowledge.

#17 of 44 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,511 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted January 28 2002 - 03:54 AM

Why the wider is better feeling? Personally, I thought A.I. was well suited to scope, as the cast of characters is minimal in each scene.

#18 of 44 OFFLINE   Brajesh Upadhyay

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor

• 791 posts

Posted January 28 2002 - 05:53 AM

I'm readying my DVD recorder to record both 'Raiders' & 'Doom' Posted Image

Wish they were also showing 'Last Crusade', but 2 out of 3 ain't bad. They'll tide me over until the real deal DVDs come out.

Home Theater Addict

#19 of 44 OFFLINE   Troy LaMont

Troy LaMont

Supporting Actor

• 852 posts

Posted January 28 2002 - 01:22 PM

Michael,
Quote:
You can configure an RCA DTC-100 settop box to output HD broadcasts as anamorphic 480i via the s-video output.
That's a new one on me! I've tried to downconvert 480p (from Fox) via the DTC-100 with no success (s-video). Is there some other 'trick' that I'm not aware? I've also tried with some HD feeds (from CBS) as well with no luck. Do you have to do to the service menus? Troy
:My teacher tells me beauty is on the inside.
:That's just something ugly people say.

#20 of 44 OFFLINE   Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,287 posts

Posted January 28 2002 - 02:29 PM

Just curious...sounds like a dumb question, but can anyone actually watch the movies, or does ABC have its own HD station?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow