Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Eventual upgrade of receiver-DVD audio?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   John C

John C

Stunt Coordinator

• 83 posts

Posted January 13 2002 - 06:42 AM

Hello all. I eventually want to upgrade my 5.1 receiver to one that handles DTS-ES, Dolby-EX, Pro-Logic II and possibly DVD-Audio. The only DVD-Audio decoders I see are built into DVD players currently. Are there any actual RECEIVERS that are going to add DVD-audio decoding on the horizon. I'm shying away from getting a player with built-in decoding as I've heard bad things about those type of decoders (flimsy parts!).
Will regular DVD players even be able to pass-through the DVD-audio signal or will a special chip be needed ala DTS style? Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   Marc Rochkind

Marc Rochkind

Second Unit

• 384 posts

Posted January 13 2002 - 10:33 AM

DVD Audio doesn't use a decoder in the sense of, say, DD or DTS. The output from the players is analog only, and will be for the foreseeable future. You need 6 phono cables for 5.1.

Also, the receiver has to have 6 preamp inputs. Unfortunately, mine is older, and has only two.
Marc Rochkind (author of Home Theater Explained)
Marc's Home Theater Site (free ebook download of my book)

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   Nicholas A. Gallegos

Nicholas A. Gallegos

Stunt Coordinator

• 138 posts

Posted January 14 2002 - 08:58 AM

Formats like DVD-Audio and Super Audio CD are copyrighted formats that cannot currently be sent over bitstream or PCM digital connections. This is why you need to run analog audio out to your receiver.

In order to utilize 5.1 playback with these formats, your receiver needs multichannel inputs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users