What's new

StarZ debut: Ash Vs Evil Dead Season 1 (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I prefer the straight horror of The Evil Dead to the comedy in Army Of Darkness (still a huge fan of AOD though) and I loved this show. The comedy works great. The funniest bits were how the deadites were brought back, Ash saying "Fuuuuuuuck" & the smash to the title and Ash very nervously singing as he's driving. Great use of Journey To The Center Of The Mind at the end too.

So far, this is living up to my expectations.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
How easy would that have been to screw up? But they didn't screw it up. That was very, very enjoyable for this proud owner of every version of every Evil Dead video, including an autographed-by-Ash "Evil Dead 2" blood-red laserdisc.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
So how did the first episode feel? Groovy!

I really enjoyed the premiere and it was a lot of fun seeing Bruce Campbell back on the screen. Loved the over the top gore and the campy humor. I always enjoy retro soundtracks that reference the 60s and 70s and the music worked well in the premiere episode. Space Truckin' and Journey to the Center of the Mind both were well suited to the series. Looking forward to the rest of season one and how it plays out.

- Walter.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I'm still laughing a day later.

"That thing made me think it was my mom, then it killed my dad, and then you cut off its head!"

"Yeah, that was my takeaway, too."

Was it just me, or did the sketch look more like Schwarzenegger than Bruce? I laughed either way.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor
I'm really digging it, although I wish it was longer than a half hour. That's too short.

Will be interesting to see when lady cop finally crosses paths with Ash.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Some of the jokes in this are so off color and yet damn funny..

"You know, like share a milkshake with two straws or.."

Share a pussy... cat?

That entire sequence of the shotgun bong was pretty damn funny

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Oh, Lucy Lawless. Will you ever stop being hot?

Loved the skeleton callback to AOD. Loved the extreme gore on the level of the original ED. And love that it looks like the season will wrap up in the cabin.

I can watch Two Broke Girls (I really can't) and not even crack a smile, but I laugh my ass off to this every week. Bruce better be careful, because Ray Santiago is stealing the show with his comedic stylings. "If I was a deadite, I'd be proud to be killed by you." The floor slide was badass.

Should be be expanded to an hour next season. This shit goes by way too fast.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Greg_S_H said:
Should be be expanded to an hour next season. This shit goes by way too fast.
Yep. It's hard to describe but it seems like they've written a really long movie and each week, we're seeing the next 30 minutes of it rather than having written a normal serialized TV show.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I'm no expert, but it seemed like this cabin was more like the original than the stand-in from ED2. The callback with the bench was cool.

How fucked up was what happened to Fisher? I guess she'll be back as a deadite. I guess no one is safe.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Greg_S_H said:
I'm no expert, but it seemed like this cabin was more like the original than the stand-in from ED2.
I think you're right but continuity doesn't seem to be a big concern of the show. It seems like they only recognize the events of Evil Dead 2 (except the ending when Ash was sucked back in time) as having been what previously happened to Ash but they use flashbacks to The Evil Dead. Presumably the flashbacks to the original movie are because it's currently owned or licensed by Starz/Anchor Bay.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks