What's new

Playing audio with alternate video (1 Viewer)

jmp5yk

Auditioning
Real Name
Jack
Hey guys,

Fairly new to this home audio game. I have a Denon 1200 all hooked up to one monitor and want to have my audio playing from my AUX input (standard auxiliary cord on a rocketfish bluetooth device) while simultaneously playing the video from my GAME input (Xbox 1). My buddy does this with his Onkyo by a seemingly mistaken transition between inputs (has video & sound playing on GAME input, then switches to AUX input which has no video). Any help would be great.

Extra: All inputs (besides AUX on front) are connected via HDMI, and the receiver is connected via HDMI to the SONY 48' monitor. Two Klipsch RB-81's and one Polk 9" subwoofer connected as well.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
As long as the audio input is not tied to a video stream...(check your settings. If AUX is a "catch all", use CD)

Video side does not change.

AVR have done this since the dawn of the AVR in the 90s.

Edit:

No input marked CD. Hhhmmm.

If you aren't already using all 5 HDMI in the back...(none of my AVR allow the removal of HDMI on AUX. Set up as a "hierarchy of use")

Remove video from Media Player input, add the digital audio connection there.

If using all 5 HDMI already...nope.

Editii:

How are you planning to use an "auxiliary cord"(which I assume you meant 3.5mm-1/8th) when all you have is HDMI or USB?

jmp5yk

Auditioning
Real Name
Jack
Actually I have 4 HDMI inputs but 3 are in use. How would I go about checking whether or not my AUX is tied to video? Is this a changeable setting or something I'd find probably in the manual?

And sadly, no input marker for CD. Just SAT/CBL, AUX, GAME, and BluRay. The aux is set up in the front of the receiver though (as the other 3 are in the back), and for some reason it has both a HDMI port AND regular auxiliary port. I only use the auxiliary port for the AUX input anyways, and have had some strange issues when trying to use the front AUX HDMI port for anything that requires audio and video together, now that I think about it. Maybe I'll try adding my desired video output to the AUX HDMI port and adding my desired audio to the AUX auxiliary port. Then try the AUX input and see what happens. Thanks for the suggestions so far..

jmp5yk

Auditioning
Real Name
Jack
jmp5yk said:
Actually I have 4 HDMI inputs but 3 are in use. How would I go about checking whether or not my AUX is tied to video? Is this a changeable setting or something I'd find probably in the manual?

And sadly, no input marker for CD. Just SAT/CBL, AUX, GAME, and BluRay. The aux is set up in the front of the receiver though (as the other 3 are in the back), and for some reason it has both a HDMI port AND regular auxiliary port. I only use the auxiliary port for the AUX input anyways, and have had some strange issues when trying to use the front AUX HDMI port for anything that requires audio and video together, now that I think about it. Maybe I'll try adding my desired video output to the AUX HDMI port and adding my desired audio to the AUX auxiliary port. Then try the AUX input and see what happens. Thanks for the suggestions so far..

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Ok...

Likely the AUX is tied to the HDMI(in a similar fashion, but in reverse, to how the headphone jack is tied to the amp section), so no go on that idea.

Since neither analog on the back is "alone"...likely no dice.

You could try a Bluetooth HD audio receiver that has an optical. connect it to "TV audio"(as there is no "TV video" counterpart).

You don't even need to connect anything.

Pick your HDMI input, then press TV Audio. If the AVR display changes to TV Audio(add in, you shouldn't hear anything)...and the prior video stream is still there...it will work.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks