What's new

Sony BDP-S480 won't run Netflix anymore (1 Viewer)

Kyle Delaney

Auditioning
Real Name
Kyle
I have a Sony Blu-ray player. It says it's connected to the Internet every time I run the setup, but then when I go to Netflix in the menu it tries to start running the program and it still says 1/3 when I get an error message saying it can't connect to the Internet. I've read the manual and the troubleshooting section suggests that "devices that use a 2.4 GHz frequency band, such as a microwave, Bluetooth, or digital cordless device, may interrupt the communication." We recently set up a new LED projector and a new audio receiver, but neither of them are wireless so I can't image them causing interference.

Is there anything I can try to get Netflix working again?

Kyle Delaney

Auditioning
Real Name
Kyle
Jason Charlton said:
How long have you had the player? The most recent firmware update was made late December, 2014 and resolved an "SSL Security Issue" according to the information on Sony's website: https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=BDPS480&LOC=3#/downloadTab

If you don't have the latest firmware version, that would be the first place I'd start.

I've had the player for about 4 years and I don't think I've used Netflix since December, so that might be it. I don't know how to update firmware, though, and if the Internet isn't working on the player then that might stop me from downloading it.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
You should be able to download the firmware update onto a USB flash drive and plug it into the player's USB port. There should be detailed instructions online or in your manual for updating the firmware.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Can't you just access the menu section on the player they have them listed clearly enough and look for updates and its easy step forward procedure that takes a few minutes for the new firmware to update directly to the player.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I wouldn't use a USB or CD update unless it was the last resort. The Sony's have very good setup options, so I'd use those. (Netflix getting stuck at "1/3" doesn't necessarily mean that you don't have network access.) If you're using wireless, hook it up wired for the update (just to make sure that you don't have a week signal that will drop the connection mid-way through). Then go to the network setup and see if it says you have a good connection. Then use the network upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks