What's new

Hey, Boo Boo -- it's Yellowstone National Park (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
We recently returned from a week long visit to Yellowstone National Park. This was my 6th visit to the park. The haze from the wildfires well west of the park did create quite a bit of haze, which reduced the landscape photo opportunities.

Wildlife viewing was different, too, as this is the latest I have ever been in the park. We usually see lots of elk, but it was getting close to the rut, so we only saw a few, as most had moved to more remote areas. Also, for the first time I failed to see a black bear, although we did have a few grizzly sightings. And my wife was lucky enough to see a couple of wolves, but I missed both those opportunities.

Here are a few shots. I will try to add more as I sift through the photos from the 3 cameras I hauled with me.

Big horn sheep

NC7A0780-X2.jpg

Grand Geyser -- I had not seen this one erupt since I was there as a kid in 1978, and it was my wife's first viewing.

451A3434-X2.jpg

The Lower Falls of the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone, from Uncle Tom's Trail

451A3528-X2.jpg

Pronghorn antelope

NC7A0827-X2.jpg

Bison bull taking a dust bath

NC7A0848-X2.jpg

Grizzly bear

NC7A0946-X2.jpg

Mule deer fawn nursing

NC7A1055-X2.jpg

Pre-dawn mist on the Yellowstone River

451A3760-X2.jpg

Sunset over Hayden Valley

451A3782-X2.jpg

Osprey nest in the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone

NC7A1126-X2.jpg

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Excellent. The smoke has been a pain, depending on the prevailing winds.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
John,

The smoke was really bad when we first arrived, but things seemed better towards the end of the week. There was still a noticeable haze when we hiked to the top of Mount Washburn the day before we left, though, which prevented us from seeing all the way to the Tetons, as we can sometimes.

Here are a few more shots.

Twin mule deer fawns at dawn

NC7A1085-X2.jpg

Vixen Geyser -- it goes off about every 10-15 minutes, and is easy to predict, as you can watch

the water filling up the hole just before eruption

451A3862-X2.jpg

View from the top of Mount Washburn

IMG_0882-X2.jpg

I'm not a "selfie" person, but this is the first time my wife and I have had our photo taken at the top of the mountain, and it was our fifth time hiking to the top. We hiked up much of the way with a nice father and son from Switzerland, and the father was kind enough to take this shot.

IMG_0881-X2.jpg

A storm brewing over the mountains

451A3748-X2.jpg

I liked the backdrop of this bison herd shot. It has that "old west" feel to it.

NC7A0973-X2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks