What's new

Night/Curse of the Demon (1957): UK or US Blu-ray? (1 Viewer)

Brent Reid

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brent
This great film obviously had a region free release in France a couple of years ago with a thick 128pp booklet, in French. I was sure that that more countries would follow imminently but there’s been nothing as yet. Does anyone have any news?

Just the longer cut would be fine; surely no one is really interested in or even prefers the edited version?

Before anyone suggests it, I’m not interested in the Spanish or Italian pirate BDs, thank you.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I think that the SD, that had both versions, was very well done. Upscaling on a 110" screen, the picture looked great. If and ever it comes out on BD, I'll have to wait for the reviews before I buy it again. Just because it comes out on BD, doesn't make it a slam dunk to buy again.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
There is an Italian bare bones release that is the same price as the Spanish release. I don't think any of them are pirates. I think they just did a bells and whistles version and charged through the nose for it, then no one bought it, so they put out a quick and dirty inexpensive version to recoup their losses. It's like The Third Man... you can pretty well pay any price you want for that film on blu-ray, from exorbitant to dirt cheap.

Brent Reid

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brent
John, I have the same size screen and though I know screencaps don't tell the whole story, I think you'll agree the BD would make a huge difference at that size - or any other:
DVDBeaver BD vs DVD comparison

The Spanish and Italian discs are both pirates and you know it, littleshot. You've attempted to hash this out plenty in other threads and other forums; please don't attempt to hijack this one too.

Now, does anyone have any info on the prospect of a legitimate UK or US release?

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
While the Sony DVD looks really good, the HD transfer looks fantastic. Thanks for linking that Brent. I thought about getting the French BD, but never got around to it. I found this page at the Sony Picture site. Fingers crossed

http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/curseofthedemon/

960_night_of_the_demon_X01_blu-ray__blu-ray_.jpg

COMING TO A HOME THEATER NEAR YOU?

Brent Reid

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brent
Excellent - thank you Stanley. It would be good to know how long that generic Sony placeholder's been there. It may have been parked forever, with no particular release plans attached, or published only recently - much more promising!

SultanOfWhat

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
I got the French release, with the nice book. It played in my US blu-ray player, but I couldn't turn off the French subtitles. Still enjoyable, though.

Curse%20of%20the%20Demon%20-%20French._SL1500_-002_zps4hbkc8dd.jpg~original

I also got the Spanish release (below) as well, but it wouldn't play for me. I will probably get a region 2 blu-ray player to play the handful of overseas blu-rays that won't play in the US player.

Curse%20of%20the%20Demon%20-%20Spanish._SL1500_-001_zpslrqxgjwa.jpg~original

I will triple-dip if a US or UK blu-ray comes out.

BTW, in many cases, when the error message comes up when trying to play a region 2 blu-ray, I just hit "stop" and then "top menu", and a normal play menu pops up. Didn't work for the Spanish release, though.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
Why would a pirate label region lock? Maybe because they aren't actually a pirate, but actually a small territorial release.

david hare

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david hare
The Spanish and Italian pirates can do whatever they like, as you know perfectly well.

You would also know perfectly well Wildside themselves did the scan and encode for the French BD. There is no way in hell they would let someone else port their work without credit and licensing fee.

You really must think you'e talking to complete idiots on this board.

As for a US edition that's completely up to Sony and Mr Crisp I guess.

Brent Reid

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brent
SultanOfWhatEverYourNameIs, the French BD's subs can be turned off via your remote handset, as numerous online reviews clearly point out. This includes the one I've linked to above and at least one other on these very forums.

Now, why is it so difficult for you and the other guy to restrain yourselves from trying to twist a perfectly innocent and straightforward thread into another free advert for an irrelevant, pirated product?

Almost unmitigated threadcrapping is the bane of these forums...

SultanOfWhat

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
Brenty said:
SultanOfWhatEverYourNameIs, the French BDs subs can be turned off via your remote handset, as numerous online reviews clearly point out. This includes the one I've linked to above and at least one other on these very forums.

Now, why is it so difficult for you and the other guy to restrain yourselves from trying to twist a perfectly innocent and straightforward thread into another free advert for an irrelevant, pirated product?

Almost unmitigated threadcrapping is the bane of these forums...

I thought I was sharing my interest in and expreiences with blu-rays of this title. I return to find noxious fumes belched my way.

From the review you mentioned (DVD Beaver):

the subtitles are removable (on my standard Oppo Blu-ray player) despite the menus insinuating, incorrectly, that you must have French subtitles when choosing English audio. I simply chose the English Audio option and chose 'no subtitles' with my remote's 'Subtitle' button. So, while I can't speak to all players - on my system the subtitles are removable when original English is chosen.

Alas, my own remote does not have the "subtitle" button, so I cannot remove the French subtitles. Yes, I've tried every button on the remote. I'll be buying a new player soon, which will hopefully have this ability.

As for the Spanish edition, I had no idea it was pirated, as I didn't think Amazon would sell such a product.

I will continue to post in this thread as I see fit, despite your needlessly acerbic responses. You seem to fancy yourself some sort of gatekeeper or etiquette enforcer. I suggest you consider your own behavior.

Brent Reid

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brent
Forum users consistently feel more empowered to threadcrap and display generally rude behaviour when they hide behind anonymous avatars and don't even state the country they hail from. My own username is only Brenty, not my actual name, Brent, as the latter was already taken.* I currently have a Chaplin avatar as it represents my main area of interest, silent/nitrate era film, and is the symbol of my site. There you'll easily find a photo and bio of me.

"SultanOfWhat": you may not have known the Spanish disc was a pirate when you bought it but I said so clearly enough in my OP. Despite that, you still proceeded to gleefully post a bloody great picture (advert) for it anyway. Instead of stating "I will continue to post in this thread as I see fit", if you have nothing relevant to contribute to the thread's title question, why not start your own thread on BDs, pirated or otherwise, that you've bought?

13 posts in this thread so far and it's already dominated by, I repeat, threadcrapping. I accept that there are supporters of pirate discs and deniers of their illegal/unethical status who feel compelled to swoop in on every possible thread, plugging them where possible. Having said that, is it really too much to ask that I can post just one simple question asking for any leads (for the third time) on a legit UK or US release?

*Admins: since beating me to the name, the other "Brent" has never actually posted. Feel free to take his name back for me anytime! ;)

BIANCO2NERO

Agent
Real Name
Sergio Angelini
The Italian Blu-ray of NIGHT OF THE DEMON that I have was released by Sinister Film, which as far as I am aware is a completely legit and reputable company.

Brent Reid

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brent
Er, no: they're definitely not. Regardless, what's that got to do with the prospect of a UK or US issue? Thanks for yet more you-know-what.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Well, I can't imagine this will be ignored forever here in the States. TT would be a likely distributor. Sony itself might release it, as their in-house release pattern has been mighty strange of late (THE BEAR, LITTLE WOMEN, but not A MAN FOR ALL SEASONS, etc.). The French release is a tad darker than we're used to, but looks perfectly fine to me. If you'd rather not wait for a domestic edition, you can't go far wrong with this one...and although the 128-booklet is in French, it is loaded with rare photos and just gives the box the bulk it deserves.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Dick said:
Well, I can't imagine this will be ignored forever here in the States. TT would be a likely distributor. Sony itself might release it, as their in-house release pattern has been mighty strange of late (THE BEAR, LITTLE WOMEN, but not A MAN FOR ALL SEASONS, etc.). The French release is a tad darker than we're used to, but looks perfectly fine to me. If you'd rather not wait for a domestic edition, you can't go far wrong with this one...and although the 128-booklet is in French, it is loaded with rare photos and just gives the box the bulk it deserves.

At Hi-Def Digest I saw that A Man For All Seasons is listed as pending from Sony. Maybe they listed it that way at the site before (maybe) Sony gave it to Twilight Time. It could also mean that Sony will release it when the TT deal ends, like Christine.

Now as far as this thread goes, lets stop passing the parchment back and forth and start applying pressure on Sony to give us a US Curse/Night of the Demon release. :)

BIANCO2NERO

Agent
Real Name
Sergio Angelini
Brenty said:
Er, no: they're definitely not. Regardless, what's that got to do with the prospect of a UK or US issue? Thanks for yet more you-know-what.
Why are you saying Sinister are not a legit company? What exactly are you basing your statement on? They have released a lot of content that is available exclusively from them, including in HD, such as DONNA DEL LAGO, a genuine obscurity. And also, on a personal note,why all the ad hominen BS and sarcasm? The French and Spanish releases were already mentioned in the thread. Not helpful to any kind of debate to be so dismissive.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
BIANCO2NERO said:
The Italian Blu-ray of NIGHT OF THE DEMON that I have was released by Sinister Film, which as far as I am aware is a completely legit and reputable company.

I think they are claiming that the French release is the only legitimate one because it costs more.

SultanOfWhat said:
As for the Spanish edition, I had no idea it was pirated, as I didn't think Amazon would sell such a product.

One phone call from a legal rights holder gets a pirate title pulled from Amazon. Perhaps it's harder to police third party sellers, but I bought my copy directly from Amazon.es and I've seen it listed sale by Amazon UK.

It's common for a couple of people to jump in whenever this title is mentioned and vigorously defend the overpriced French edition and claim any other edition is a pirate with no evidence. Eventually the thread gets locked. I'm not the thread crapper here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks