What's new

Best 11.2 Receivers Out There - Bite the Bullet Now Or Wait? (1 Viewer)

David Flora

Stunt Coordinator
Hello. Been awhile since I've been on here. I've had my Denon 9.1 receiver for about 5 years now. It's been a great receiver and I have no complaints. Been reading a lot about Atmos, and I'd like to say I'm good with what I have, but the audiophile in me won't allow me to let it go. With that being said, I'm kicking around updating to a new receiver with Atmos. I'd basically need an 11.1 system to keep what I have (typical 7.1 setup plus front L/R height channels) and add 2 in-ceiling speakers for the Atmos component.

So my question is, are we at a point where it's a good idea for me to upgrade or should I wait a bit longer? I hear DTS is developing their version of Atmos. Should I wait for better technology? Are there any 13.2 receivers out there that would allow me to add 4 in-ceiling speakers? Like I said, I'm VERY happy with the Denon I have. Just wanting to kick the tires and get the opinions from the best people out there. Thanks!

Dave

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The only Atmos/X AVRs on the market as "flagship" are Denon with the 5200*/7200.

Those were "late 2014" anyway. Nobody has their "11 channel" AVR for 2015 out yet.

The 5200/7200 are probably going to end up carryover.

*the 5200 isn't getting HDCP 2.2, I don't think.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I'd imagine that before CEDIA in September there will be new product announcements and perhaps some more around CES the beginning of January.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
PS - I'm more or less in the same boat but waiting. I have an 8 year old Marantz in one (integrated A/V) secondary system and in-ceiling surrounds which I will use as overhead channels and I have a pair of speakers waiting as side surrounds (just need the stands).

In the main system, I have (an integrated A/V system) 9.2 (including the height channels) and had in-ceilings installed a few months back. I have an Onkyo 1008 and when something appropriate is available down the road probably early next year I'll upgrade that.

I'll take the receivers I'm replacing and rotate them to other systems. For example, I have a 13-14 year old Sony ES receiver in the office (which I only use in two channel but do have in-ceiling surrounds in case I change my mind) and that will be replaced.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks