What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Apollo 13 (Take 2) -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

Everything that I said about the initial Blu-ray of Apollo 13, five years ago, should not be confused with their new edition (Amazon tends to confuse these things).

While the 15th Anniversary release was electronic, over-cleaned and just unpleasant, the 20th is film-like and problem free.

A beautifully produced Blu-ray, which I'm certain looks superior in 4k DCP projection, and a candidate for UHD.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Yup, I have it & it looks lovely (& it's not expensive). When Universal try, they can really deliver the goods, roll on Spartacus.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
This was one of the very few Blu-rays I was willing to double dip on, because the cinematography and special effects deserve the highest quality representation.

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I watched the disc projected at 124" (pro cal'd JVC RS4810 and Stewart StudioTek 100 scope screen) - it looked excellent and film-like. I'm looking forward to more Universal remasters of this effort and quality.

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
I held off buying the first Blu-ray because of the questionable picture quality until 2014, and of course the announced remaster came shortly after. I'm thinking of finally buying Amadeus to also help that get its long overdue remaster announcement. :)

The Apollo 13 remaster is very pleasing to look at, especially with the first Blu-ray fresh in my mind. Very cinematic from the first frames. The soundtrack has always been stellar, and I almost ran for cover when the Saturn V blasted off at reference level.

I was more pleased with this remaster than Goodfellas.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Neither the remastered Goodfellas or Apollo 13 have been available at anywhere close to (IMO, for catalog re-releases) a reasonable price in Canada yet. At least compared to in the U.S. and the UK. I've been putting off importing them (have previous BDs) since I keep thinking "any day now". I also seem to have undue influence upon BD releases in Canada, I only need to import/purchase the current/old one and voila...

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
CraigF said:
Neither the remastered Goodfellas or Apollo 13 have been available at anywhere close to (IMO, for catalog re-releases) a reasonable price in Canada yet. At least compared to in the U.S. and the UK. I've been putting off importing them (have previous BDs) since I keep thinking "any day now". I also seem to have undue influence upon BD releases in Canada, I only need to import/purchase the current/old one and voila...
"Apollo 13" (20th Anniversary) is 2 for $30 at HMV. "Goodfellas" is still $30 everywhere.

Mr. Masters

Agent
Real Name
Stefan
I hope this Anniversary wave get continued this year:

The Mummy Returns 4K remaster

The Frighteners 4K remaster

Dragonheart 4K remaster

Cape Fear 4K remaster

Backdraft 4K remaster

Malcolm Bmoor

Second Unit
Real Name
Malcolm Blackmoor
I have the latest APOLLO 13 but haven't yet seen it. But I've had my money's worth in entertainment by reading on the box that it contains:

MILD THREAT

That should straighten out any weak minded, self pitying person who may be tempted to feel that being stranded 250,000 miles out in space in a broken spaceship is any excuse for making a fuss.

'Houston we have a problem .... hardly worth mentioning if you're busy .... I'm sure we're overreacting ..... sorry to bother you ...... ....'

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I am assuming the HD DVD (which I have) is comparable to the 15th anniversary blu-ray? Or is it more on par with the 20th?

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Ordered. I don't believe I own this in HD, and I know I don't have this version. I love score of this one. When it comes on Pandora, I usually picture the scene of them taking off and get a little tear in the eye as it plays.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Just watched this. I've forgotten how much I like this movie. The bluray is excellent. Sound and dialogue all clear. Nice use of LFE track. The picture was superb. Really nice black levels unlike the elevated blacks on the SPECTRE bluray I watched last night.

I'm glad I caught this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks