What's new

3D Starchaser The Legend of Orin (1 Viewer)

williamedit

Auditioning
Real Name
William
Does anybody know if this will be released on blu-ray 3d anytime soon? Released in 1985, it's a hand-drawn animated film. I do have a 3d field-sequential version but I never use my analog television anymore so I never get to watch it. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

Interdimensional

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ed
I watched it a few years ago as as an anaglyph copy found on the internet. It was watchable as a film, but the anaglyph process always starts to grate after a while.

More recently I viewed a short clip on youtube which I found impressive. The cel animation is impressively layered, and there's also some early CGI, very effectively used for perspective shifts on the spaceships.

I'd love to have this on 3D blu.

williamedit

Auditioning
Real Name
William
Yes, I too was impressed by depth of the cel layers, kind of like looking at a scene done with Disney's multi-plane camera, only really in 3d.

StephenDH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
I remember seeing this on its initial 3D release and being quite entertained by it. It also kept a cinema full of kids enthralled which is no mean feat.

I'm not sure how much actual CGI is in it: the animation appears to have been done by CAD and then hand painted on cels.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
MGM holds the rights by virtue of its acquisition of the Atlantic Releasing library as part of the Polygram Filmed Entertainment library, which means going hat in hand to either Kino, Shout! Factory or Twilight Time for a Blu-ray release. I doubt MGM would do it on its own.

williamedit

Auditioning
Real Name
William
Stephen, thanks for the rights info. This, at least, gives me hope that we'll see a release of this unusual film.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I don't know who did this but it's not going to be released in 3D on Blu-ray.

latest

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
The amazon listing doesn't say 3D. Is that picture from another version?
That's the box art from the MGM DVD, yes.

This movie really only has the 3D gimmick going for it. Otherwise its one of the most shameless Star Wars ripoffs I've ever seen.

phillyrobt

Second Unit
Real Name
Robt C
See Roland L's post in Meet Bob Furmanek about a polarized release!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks