What's new

SCSA Readies Formal Launch Of 4K UHD Download Service (1 Viewer)

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
In what may have been the best kept secret at International CES, 4K Ultra HDTV enthusiasts are about to get another big boost in the availability of native 4K content through a pending formal launch of a secure download service developed by a coalition of electronics manufacturers and Hollywood studios.

Called the Secure Content Storage Association (SCSA), the body of consumer electronics and Hollywood movers and shakers has developed a similarly named system due for a mid-year sendoff. It is designed to simply and easily download native 4K Ultra HD movies, videos and TV programs to large capacity storage products, such as Network Attached Storage (NAS) devices, media players, flash storage devices and even some mobile devices to playback rich, high-quality 4K content that is purchased or rented online.

More on the SCSA’s members, products and rollout plans after the break:

The SCSA, which has maintained a “low-key” profile as it readies a formal launch, was founded by 20th Century Fox, Warner Bros., Western Digital, SanDisk and Cryptography Research, who were quickly joined by: Samsung, LG, Comcast, Cisco, ARM Holdings, Seagate Technology, MediaTek, Akamai, Marvell, Dolby, DTS, Inside Secure, Discretix Technologies, Saffron Digital, Irdeto, Walmart (Vudu), Sprint, Toshiba, Broadcom, Pace, MStar Semiconductor, DivX, BluFocus, ST Micro, Kaleidescape and international contributors Chili TV, Strefa TV and Wuaki TV.

Cognizant that a new 4K UHD Blu-ray Disc system is in the works, the SCSA pointed out that its service will provide similar high-quality pictures and sound, while avoiding the hassle of collecting and storing hundreds of movies on individual Blu-ray Discs or DVDs.
Content files will be secured against illicit copying or use, while devices will employ today’s latest HDMI and HDCP content protection gateways on input/output connections.

At the same time the goal was to make usage flexible, so the SCSA is providing multi-device playback rights, with a focus on playback in the home on large-volume storage devices equipped with hard discs, flash drives or SD cards. Some limited streaming is also possible, but because the group anticipates 4K Ultra HD playback as the key purchase driver, the group believes that playback from already downloaded files is the most robust way to go, so that the user isn’t “held hostage” by insufficient Internet connections.

Content pricing, bit-rates and other variables will be left to participating studios to determine – a formal announcement with the details and launch titles is planned in the next few weeks.

Each movie or TV program will be delivered as “a pack” – the organization’s name for a collection of digital files comprised of different resolution versions for play back on the most appropriate display.

The pack will contain a title in each of the following – an SD version, an HD version, XHD version (FullHD at Blu-ray equivalent bit rates), and a 4K Ultra HD version. Each version can be digitally “peeled off” of the pack and sent to another device for playback, or the entire pack can be sent in one lump, the SCSA explained.

The SCSA is planning three different delivery modules for its content packs – a trial version available in a limited way today as a test for 4K playback through the M-GO over-the-top (OTT) service on Samsung’s 4K Video Pack media player; a full-feature set that will be delivered at launch in the next few weeks and a third will provide content to a special 4K portable tablet from Qualcomm, for mobile playback.

Although 4K UHD content is stored on an associated device, viewers will be able to immediately view a downloading title via streaming at a lower resolution level while the higher 4K version downloads.

The SCSA system assigns a “digital right” along with each download giving the purchaser the ability to share a title, like you might share a Blu-ray Disc or DVD with a friend. Each studio will specify the minimum number of copies that can be made to enable backups and transferring to other devices. Similarly, each studio will determine the bit rate at which it will offer each 4K Ultra HD title.

A spokesman for 20th Century Fox – a key player in the SCSA – said the studio will go with bit rates of 30 to 40 Mbps, but the spec is expected to support up to 100Mbps.

Each pack download will take about five hours to complete at average broadband speeds, but the SCSA representatives said they are studying the possibility of pushing some titles out for caching on a drive at a user’s discretion. That way a title can be simply unlocked whenever you’re ready to view it.

Compatible SCSA storage and playback devices, such as a Western Digital NAS device or a Samsung 4K Video Pack media player, will be clearly marked with a forthcoming SCSA logo to assure purchasers that the device will work with the video download system. When the device is ready, a firmware update is pushed out to the device adding a new “shelf” of title selections for purchase and download. The graphical user interface shelf is continuously updated with selections for download or playback.

The SCSA said the system will be expandable to evolving standards of picture and sound quality – perhaps including new data for high dynamic range and expanded color gamut. But that’s all being determined by another multi-company alliance.

I assume this will be under UV? If so, I guess the SCSA system will be used instead of the CFF (and why the CFF has been delayed).

http://hdguru.com/scsa-readies-formal-launch-of-4k-uhd-download-service/#more-15330

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
Interesting, and confusing. Surely this isn't just for 4K content, but it seems like it is. Will we all have to re-purchase our HD films to be able to use it? If so, that's not gonna happen. It seems that once again the studio's have come up with something that just won't work.

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
Joshua Clinard said:
Interesting, and confusing. Surely this isn't just for 4K content, but it seems like it is. Will we all have to re-purchase our HD films to be able to use it? If so, that's not gonna happen. It seems that once again the studio's have come up with something that just won't work.

No, it's for all resolutions.

The pack will contain a title in each of the following – an SD version, an HD version, XHD version (FullHD at Blu-ray equivalent bit rates), and a 4K Ultra HD version. Each version can be digitally “peeled off” of the pack and sent to another device for playback, or the entire pack can be sent in one lump, the SCSA explained.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Some limited streaming is also possible, but because the group anticipates 4K Ultra HD playback as the key purchase driver, the group believes that playback from already downloaded files is the most robust way to go, so that the user isn’t “held hostage” by insufficient Internet connections.

So, sort of like I have now with Vudu, where it takes about two to three days of casual downloading the HDX file, before I can watch a movie I might be interested in renting.

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
Ejanss said:
So, sort of like I have now with Vudu, where it takes about two to three days of casual downloading the HDX file, before I can watch a movie I might be interested in renting.

I believe Vudu requires that you buy a movie before they let you download it.

Each pack download will take about five hours to complete at average broadband speeds, but the SCSA representatives said they are studying the possibility of pushing some titles out for caching on a drive at a user’s discretion. That way a title can be simply unlocked whenever you’re ready to view it.

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
Sam Posten said:
No Disney, no Apple, dead in the water.

I don't think so. Offering 4 formats (SD, HD, XHD [same as BLu-ray], UHD) in a download package sounds enticing and has potential for strong sales. Apple isn't necessary and furthermore they will end up needing it more than SCSA needs them, as they lose even more market share from iTunes. Eventually the iTunes "my way or the highway" attitude will result in the Mac-ish share that they deserve.

As for Disney, they weren't on board with DVD at first either. And Warner has a pretty good track record of supporting formats that ultimately prove to be successful (they were supporting HD DVD, but were neutral and they eventually sided in favor of Blu-ray) and of being a leader in emerging formats.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
bruceames said:

It doesn't say each pack can contain each resolution, it says each pack Will contain all resolutions, then I assume that you cannot download just the HD or SD version, meaning you must own the higher priced 4k version. That tells me this won't work for films you already own on vudu, because they aren't 4k yet. It also means that the file size will be huge if it contains all those different files, unless there is just one source file with some kind of downsampling. Either way, it sounds like it would require special software to work, and it sounds a lot more complex than the CFF does.

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
I wouldn't worry about non-compatability with UV. Warner is one of the leading p

Joshua Clinard said:
It doesn't say each pack can contain each resolution, it says each pack Will contain all resolutions, then I assume that you cannot download just the HD or SD version, meaning you must own the higher priced 4k version. That tells me this won't work for films you already own on vudu, because they aren't 4k yet. It also means that the file size will be huge if it contains all those different files, unless there is just one source file with some kind of downsampling. Either way, it sounds like it would require special software to work, and it sounds a lot more complex than the CFF does.

Maybe in the beginning only packs with 4K will be offered. But I see this as good news for UV. I'm very confident that CSCA is the new CFF, which means that any HDX Vudu movies that you own will eventually be available in download form as well. Warner is a huge proponent of UV and they know it's the blueprint for the digital future. No way are they going to support this unless it is fully UV-compatible.

satam55

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ike
bruceames said:
I wouldn't worry about non-compatability with UV. Warner is one of the leading p

Maybe in the beginning only packs with 4K will be offered. But I see this as good news for UV. I'm very confident that CSCA is the new CFF, which means that any HDX Vudu movies that you own will eventually be available in download form as well. Warner is a huge proponent of UV and they know it's the blueprint for the digital future. No way are they going to support this unless it is fully UV-compatible.
Yeah, I agree. Warner Bros. is the most invested in UltraViolet of all the studios. They also produce the most content (Movies & TV) of any studio, so I never understand why Disney is held up higher than WB.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
Warner releases more films, but many films lack quality. Disney only releases a handful of films each year, but many of them are major blockbusters, and are worth watching more than a few times. Their animated films get watched over and over by children. Even their oldest films are popular with today's youth.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
Apple TV will soon have an app store. When this happens, people will finally be able to watch UV movies on their Apple TV's, unless they prevent video apps. This will finally make UV available on all the most popular devices, making it a truly universal platform.

[email protected]

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
Joshua Clinard said:
Apple TV will soon have an app store. When this happens, people will finally be able to watch UV movies on their Apple TV's, unless they prevent video apps. This will finally make UV available on all the most popular devices, making it a truly universal platform.

They might get an app store but I would bet it won't be an open app store, apple will limit/decide what apps to allow. I doubt Vudu is one of them.

[email protected]

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
For the same reason no other movie rental/purchase stores are on there now, competition to itunes. It is, surprising they allowed that on other ios devices though, so I guess we will see. If they open Apple TV up like the Roku I'll give it a serious look.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks