What's new

Change mom's email from AOL to ...? (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
My mom's an AOL email user of 15-some years. She'd used their custom email app,I action on Windows forever. On her Mac and iPhone and ipad, I think she's using standard Apple mail to send / receive her AOL mail.

If she were interested in changing email providers, should she? And switch to what?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
What is wrong with AOL?

Only 15 years? I was on AOL at the beginning.

I use various email servers and AOL functions with all of them.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Isn't Apple dropping AOL email as an iTunes and or iCould login method? Thought I read that somewhere recently...

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
schan1269 said:
What is wrong with AOL?
Only 15 years? I was on AOL at the beginning.
I use various email servers and AOL functions with all of them.
When she had to use that horrid Windows interface, that was a good reason to switch. Now that she's on a Mac and it works like any other email service, it seems reasonable.

But she was complaining about service problems lately and wondering if it's time to switch?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Service issues?

Like what? It is an email client. Email clients were sorted out 25 years ago.

If she's not receiving "one-off" emails...AOL spam default is tighter than everyone else, which is the main reason I keep it.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Not sure of the details. Things like emails not being delivered, or having significant delays in arriving. I'll try to find out when we talk tonight.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Ronald Epstein said:
If she is on a Mac, why not an iCloud address?

That's an option, and I hadn't given it much thought before. I need to follow up with her. Mom hasn't complained about her aol email the past week, so I don't know if it was a temporary problem or she's still having trouble.s

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Because Google. And Gmail works GREAT on iOS devices. Apple mail on iOS is a dumb combination with a browser based mailer like Gmail tho, don't do it. Browser on the desktop and mail on iOS and you are done, so long as you can live with Google.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Mike Frezon said:
I'm no expert...but was wondering why people weren't recommending Gmail in this instance.

Now I know! :biggrin:

:thumbsup:
I'm reducing, as reasonable, the amount of Google in my life. So I don't care to specifucally recommend gmail to my mom :)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Because Google. And Gmail works GREAT on iOS devices. Apple mail on iOS is a dumb combination with a browser based mailer like Gmail tho, don't do it. Browser on the desktop and mail on iOS and you are done, so long as you can live with Google.
For good or bad, Apple doesn't let us change default ios apps, and I don't want to juggle multiple email apps for such a basic utility. (It's bad enough that I've now got a Facebook Messenger to contend with). And Gmail doesn't work great with Apple Mail on either os.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I disagree. I run 7 gmail accounts on iOS phone and tablet just fine. I formatted it a little wonky earlier in the thread but gmail on Apple Mail for iOS works great for me and I am definitely a gmail power user with labels, extensions and automatic actions occurring in the browser when I am on one, which is rare.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I don't like how email can't be deleted from gmail in Apple or ios mail. Which means "deleted" email continues showing up in search results and sort-by sender.

More weirdly, the two-factor auth was also causing me new problems, and I changed email providers to be able to send email again.

spdfrk95

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt Bennett
While I use my gmail address a lot, its been relegated to being used for Message board accounts and various logins. I could use less google in my life as well.

Used to run my own server but got tired of that after a while as well.

there are several free ones

gmail

Outlook.com

hotmail

yahoo

icloud

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks