What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Night They Raided Minsky's -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

"Take ten terrific girls and only nine costumes..."

The William Friedkin directed The Night They Raided Minsky's in an anomaly in every sense of the word.  It was written by Arnold Schulman and Norman Lear

From what I'm aware, it was re-structured by editor Ralph Rosenblum, given its frenetic style, and patched together when the great Bert Lahr, who was to have a far larger role in the film, sadly passed away during production.

The cast is superb.  Jason Robards, Britt Ekland (Mrs. Peter Sellers), Norman Wisdom, Forrest Tucker, Harry Andrews, Joseph Wiseman (you'll recognize him as Dr. No), Denholm Elliott, Elliot Gould (his debut performance), and those ten girls, the average age of whom would be the same as your grandmother at the time of filming.

The setup is sweet.  Burlesque vs those who would hold up morality, with a young Amish girl thrown in, who wants to be a dancer.

An MGM release via Olive, it looks and sounds terrific.  There are some audio problem, but they're original source related.  

The film works, as it lives within a worts and all world, especially to the dancers, for which every one could be the producer's niece or someone's girlfriend.  The talent of the actors involved was to make them appear untalented.

Bottom line, it's a fun way to spend 99 minutes, and a sweet way to say goodbye to the man who will always be known as the cowardly lion.

The image is stellar.  Grain, color, black levels, resolution (which generally goes along with grain) are all superb.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Recommended

RAH

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Delighted to hear about this.

I'm far from being intimately familiar with the movie, but I've been haunted by sketchy memories from having seen it way back in the day, and have been patiently waiting for a nice release. And now here's a great release. Wonderful!

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
I was experiencing the early stages of puberty when I saw the theatrical trailer for this in a movie house and beheld Britt Ekland for the very first time doing the striptease sequence...I don't think I need to say any more after that!!! :P

jauritt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jay Auritt
lukejosephchung said:
I was experiencing the early stages of puberty when I saw the theatrical trailer for this in a movie house and beheld Britt Ekland for the very first time doing the striptease sequence...I don't think I need to say any more after that!!! :P
Same here...that was the first time in my life that I actually saw a pair of naked breasts (alas, fleetingly) in a movie. I doubt very much that they actually belonged to Ms. Ekland (as her face wasn't in the same shot), but they were spectacular nonetheless.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
ahollis said:
"In 1925 there was this real religious girl, and by accident -- she invented the striptease. This real religious girl"

Actually, in real life, she was already the professional "Mlle. Fifi", only came from a Pennsylvania Quaker family, and another dancer had invented the striptease, by accident (when she started changing costume before leaving the stage), but hey, it was 1969, and social allegory was cheap. :rolleyes:

Bottom line, it's a fun way to spend 99 minutes, and a sweet way to say goodbye to the man who will always be known as the cowardly lion.

I've searched out of some of the non-cowardly Lahr on old movies and radio, and his non-stop rapid-fire obnoxiousness is infectious.

I'm probably the only one watching Hanna-Barbera's Snagglepuss cartoons who still gets the joke. :)

(At the 60's time, he was also doing the Lay's potato-chip commercials, which prompted the joke in The Sunshine Boys.)

At least what little we got to see of him in the movie let him go out on a high burlesque note, although it would have been nice if his version of the Nuthouse Sketch hadn't been chopped to fragments.

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
Seen this movie over the years; read the book by Rosenblum many times. Blu-ray restores the great Frank Franzetta movie poster

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks