What's new

International E. A. Dupont's "Variete" BD from Germany (1 Viewer)

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Dupont's 1925 masterpiece arrives on blu-ray from a newly restored 177 minute print via NFP/Murnau Siftung and will be released on February 6th through Amazon Germany. I had the pleasure of attending a screening of it in Los Angeles some two years ago. With wonderful performances by Emil Jannings and Lya de Putti, it tells the tragic story of a trapeze act family. Some have compared it to Murnau's lost "Four Devils". Dupont is remembered mainly for "Piccadilly" (1929) and the original "Moulin Rouge" (1928). I would agree with many who consider "Variete" to be his finest film.

david hare

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david hare
Thx Mr L! I hope this will quickly make the transfer to English friendly releases via perhaps MoC and Kino.

Dupont's entire career is almost forgotten. I only rediscovered him when BFI released their marvellous DVD a few years ago of Piccadilly. This and Variete are among the very best late silent movies.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
The feature will have English and other subtitle options, according to the description on Amazon.de.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
I've preordered it anyway, though it will likely appear in other countries before long.

david hare

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david hare
Now just after the Feb 6 prem (and simultaneous BD) of this at the Berlinale, devastating reviews for the apparently hideous soundtrack in which the "musicians" have decided to let loose with a Benshi style vocalized music track!!!

(from Tommasso at Criterionforum:)

Tommaso at the Criterion-Forum wrote:

I really tried to approach it with as open a mind as possible after reading the scathing reviews about the music here and elsewhere, but seriously: it's a complete disaster indeed. The problem is not so much the style of the music itself, which might actually have been somewhat fitting to the film in itself, but it's indeed the vocals. Someone must have told these guys that this was a Japanese film and that must have given them the idea to act as benshis, because it seems that practically every scene is 're-told' in the lyrics in a not exactly subtle manner. The worst thing is that the 'songs' created this way are not that bad at all, but exactly because of this they basically draw all the attention to themselves; it's like reducing this glorious film to the status of a music video, really. Perhaps if this were in an exotic language that most people don't understand anyway it would be somewhat bearable, but in English it's a real crime against the film.

So I'm sad to say that I have to advise everyone NOT to buy this edition unless they are prepared to watch the film entirely silent. Alternatively, you may do as I did after 15 minutes of listening to this disc: put on the In The Nursery soundtrack cd for Joe May's "Asphalt" (probably their scores for "Hindle Wakes" or "A Page of Madness" will also work); it reasonable transports you through this or any other Weimar film which isn't a comedy (and I've been abusing their music far too often for such purposes recently), but I'm afraid this was really only a desperate attempt on my side to somehow get this film to work with music.

In other words: Murnau-Stiftung should immediately recall this disc, get some decent pianist indeed to provide an alternative soundtrack, and replace any discs sold until now free of charge. They owe it to themselves, but as we all know, this will never happen. In other words: we really need MoC or the BFI to come to the rescue. But given the fact that the FWMS-disc not only has subs in four different languages but also menus entirely in English (and even the copyright warning is in English!), and the DVD is Region 0, something tells me that another edition is unlikely to happen...

BTW, and lest I forget: the resto looks great; with a nice sepia tint that may be slightly irritating at first if you've only seen the film in pure black and white before, but which feels very good after a few minutes (so certainly not a reason for debate à la "Nibelungen"). The runtime at 91 min. (PAL) is actually about 10 min. shorter than on the old TV recording (PAL, too) Jonathan S. mentions, so they used a slightly faster fps, which in a few scenes I thought was not a wise decision. But it's certainly nothing to worry about, either.

I would be inclined to agree with Tom that hopefully enough pressure will be applied to FWMS Stiftung to recall the disc and at least include an additional music score. God knows someone like Oz composer Elena Kats-Chernin for instance has done wonderful but barely recognized work for late silent reissues including Pabst's formerly missing in action (but now restored) Abwege.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
I Iike The Tiger Lillies and will withhold judgment, anxiously...

david hare

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david hare
Miguel is right: from the site clips the music is a complete abomination from people who have no idea about film music, Weimar era aesthetics and tropes, and - well - music.. It totally trashes FWMS' hitherto stellar reputation. Someone needs to get their head kicked for this.

Here's a sample:

Dire!!!!!!!!!!!! Image looks fabulous though!

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Mine arrived late after the first one shipped was lost in transit. Wow, what were they thinking? I wanted to punch the off key singer who kept on blathering "variety" CONSTANTLY over the images. I'll have to run something on the stereo with this just to be able to make it through it. So very sad, since it is really a wonderful film that deserved SO MUCH better!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks