What's new
World Wide Stereo

VSX-1124 HDMI Out 2 (1 Viewer)

Marek Falkowski

Auditioning
Hi. I just purchased this model and have set up the main zone as a 5.1 scenerio with an additional HDZONE for my kitchen. The Kitchen has 2 speakers on the wall and a tv. I wish for the HDMI cable to bring sound to the tv (the speakers are wired) but it doesnt appear to be able to dio this. Right now, everything works fine, the wall speakers get audio, the tv gets picture, but the speaker on the tv has no sound. My wife is going to go nuts on me soon. Does anyone know if and how this can be fixed?

Thanks

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You can probably thank a "1 or the other"...Just like in a DVD player, you can't take the audio off the HDMI (for analog or coax/toslink) and have both function at once. (There are some devices that will default to both, never expect it).I'm not even sure "troubleshooting" in the manual addresses this....You might have to go into setup each time.One thing to try(assuming the audio is the same as the video content?) is make it Zone B, not Zone 2. That is something you'll have to swap on the fly...if it solves the issue...I would think(I know the higher Elite 81+ can do this) if the powered Zone is made B, then HDMI Zone remains 2. If...Pio equipped the 1124 this way.

Marek Falkowski

Auditioning
im not sure i understand. Are you saying that sound will either go over the HDMI OR the speakers, anotherwords, if i disconnect the speakers, sound will go over HDMI? If this were the case, i would accept it - i could set up ZONE B speakers for the kitchen, the tv as HDZONE, and the living room remains the same. Is this even an option?

Im afraid of just "connecting stuff" and seeing if it works. im kind of new at this stuff and dont want to blow anything up. Im not even aware of what kind of damage i can do.

thanks -

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Well, you can't damage anything. It is merely changing setup in the menu. Just like if you were connect the kitchen as "rear surround".If you notice, rear surround/HD zone and height/wide/B are separated.So, if you change the speaker connection on the AVR to B, then HD Zone should reclaim the audio over HDMI...emphasis on...should...

Marek Falkowski

Auditioning
thanks sam. I disconnected the speakers and changed the setting from HDZONE to zone 2 - sound goes through the HDMI now. Perfect!!! wife is happy. Now i just need to figure out what to do with the wall speakers.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The only real snag is if Speaker B can work without A(speaker B will not have independent volume, like it does now).Another option...Connect a speaker matrix to both 2 and B, then connect the kitchen to the matrix box(cannot be a simple speaker switch).Then it is a matter of the 30 seconds it takes in the setup menu...and pushing a button on the matrix box.Try them on B and see what happens...Also, it isn't like you "had to disconnect the speakers". If she just wants audio, teach her the menu setup. (Yes, I know some women are allergic to electronics. I'm spoiled because mine records music and understands playback)

lisfranc

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
Marek could you please explain how you got your tvs speakers to work?To me, it looks like there is no audio going over HDMI from either of the two HDMI out jacks. I have tried everything and I'm about to return what looks to be an awesome receiver. It has so many great features....but no matter what I do I cannot get audio to come out my televisions speakers. I have tried HDZone. Zone 2. I have set up HDMI. I've pushed the OUT P button on the remote and set that to either 1 and 2 or just to 2. I've set zone 2 to have variable audio. Nothjng is working. And before someone asks, yes my televisions speakers are set to enabled. While I love what I've seen of the receiver, I dont understand why to activate and use zone 2 I have to goto,some many different places. Shouldn't there be a "use zone 2" option?? Instead I have to goto the home menu, the zone buttons on the front of the receiver, OUT P etc. It's kind of absurd when you think of it. The lack of audio coming out of HDMI is also bad for another reason - I have Sony mdrhw700 surround sound headphones. I was going to try to hook them up between the receiver and the TV, which lets the receiver do the processing...but nothing....no sound signal is being picked up. I don't get it. Yet my problem sounds just like Mareks, and he solved his issues...so I have a little hope. Very disgusted however. Mike

Marek Falkowski

Auditioning
I have a living room television, the reciever is near it. HDMI OUT 1 goes directly to the TV from the reciever. I am not passing any sound to the TV as i have a 5.1 array of speakers (If sound IS going to the tv, it is disabled on the tv). In the Kitchen, I have two speakers and a TV. I wanted to send HDMI OUT 2 to the tv in the kitchen AND to the speakers (as HDZONE). So i had the two kitchen speakers attached to the HDZONE (Or rear surround) speaker terminals on the reciever. With the speakers connected, HDMI OUT 2 doesnt seem to send an audio signal over HDMI (so no sound on TV), but once i disconnect the speakers from HDZONE terminals, sound goes over HDMI OUT 2 (sond on TV). I reconnected my speaker wires to the Zone B terminals. The downside (as i believe already mentioned) is the speaker volume cannot be indipendantly controlled, and they repeat whatever audio is comming out of Zone 1.

Zone 1 and HDZONE are like having two seperate recievers - my kids can watch cable in one room while if i choose, i can watch Roku in the kitchen.

While your TV Speakers are set to enabled, do you also have speakers connected to those zones? I am under the impression you cant pass audio through both simultaniously ( i may be wrong, but as mentioned, disconnecting the speakers supplied audio through HDMI.)

Otherwise, i found the set up a bit confusing at first - but with the phone app (Icontrol), switching signals around is a breeze. i can turn HDZONE on and off - or switch the signal source from my phone. But i havent discovered how to toggle the A and B speakers on and off without going to the reciever. I am a pretty big fan of this reciever. I hope you get it to work as you want. GOOD LUCK!!!!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
lisfranc said:
Marek could you please explain how you got your tvs speakers to work?

To me, it looks like there is no audio going over HDMI from either of the two HDMI out jacks.

I have tried everything and I'm about to return what looks to be an awesome receiver. It has so many great features....but no matter what I do I cannot get audio to come out my televisions speakers.

I have tried HDZone. Zone 2. I have set up HDMI. I've pushed the OUT P button on the remote and set that to either 1 and 2 or just to 2. I've set zone 2 to have variable audio. Nothjng is working. And before someone asks, yes my televisions speakers are set to enabled.

While I love what I've seen of the receiver, I dont understand why to activate and use zone 2 I have to goto,some many different places. Shouldn't there be a "use zone 2" option?? Instead I have to goto the home menu, the zone buttons on the front of the receiver, OUT P etc. It's kind of absurd when you think of it.

The lack of audio coming out of HDMI is also bad for another reason - I have Sony mdrhw700 surround sound headphones. I was going to try to hook them up between the receiver and the TV, which lets the receiver do the processing...but nothing....no sound signal is being picked up. I don't get it. Yet my problem sounds just like Mareks, and he solved his issues...so I have a little hope.

Very disgusted however.

Mike
I'm not understanding your issue.

Are you trying to get the AVR to produce sound over the speakers AND have sound go to the TV?

That is not happening with any AVR, by anybody.

Do you have the 1124, or something else?

The main issue here, even if you tried HDMI Zone 2 to your TV(as in, run both HDMI to the 1 TV)...not having the TV on the main HDMI signal can mess up the signal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks