What's new

Thinking of a Gaming Console: xBox or Playstation? (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Today, Amazon is running a special on the new Playstation 4 gaming console.

Buy it for $399 and you get a top-rated game for free. The offer is included below.

I have to say, I'm not a big gamer. I own the older xBox from a few years ago. For
awhile I was really into it, but just stopped playing for the past two years.

I think my fear is that I have too much going on in my life to be sitting in front of
the TV for hours playing games.

However, I hope to retire from my day job this year. I may have more time on my
hands to play games.

Soooooo....

I know this is a loaded question because there are fanboys here in both camps...

Which is the better console? The new xBox (is it xBox One?) or Playstation 4?

The thing I didn't care for about xBox is that I had to pay an extra $30-$50 a year
just to play with other people online. It may be the same situation for the Playstation.

Also want a package that includes most everything I need without having to buy
a crapload of extra accessories.

I like the kind of games where you go through a map, collect clues to unlocking
doors to other maps and fighting bad guys or creatures. I suppose

I also like simple stuff like Tetris.

Just kind of wondering if it's worth getting back into this and which console will
best suit my needs.

BuyPS4PickGamePromoInstructions._V319201488_.jpg

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Personally, I prefer the exclusive franchises that you can only get on PlayStation. In terms of raw power, both consoles are effectively the same and both require a $50-60/year subscription to play online that gets you some bonus features. I will point out that the PS4 is sort of struggling to be a great multimedia machine but hopefully that will change.

I can only give the perspective of a PS4 owner but I know Sam and a couple others have both consoles and comment on them against each other. There are good deals on both consoles and there aren't any must-have accessories right now. GameStop has a good bundle that includes 2 big games (GTAV and The Last of Us) with the camera for the PS4 and there are a lot of $350 bundles on the Xbox One.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Morgan,

Good to hear from you. Thank you for your help.

I am leaning towards the PlayStation 4.

If you or anyone has a link to a better deal with great games and/or accessories
(such as GameStop) please provide a link.

I will be checking this thread throughout the day.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I own both and they are both great powerful machines. But I prefer the Xbox one as most of my friends play on Xbox live, I like the achievement system, and their exclusives like Halo, Titanfall etc..But the PS4 is no slouch and has the best game I ever played, The Last Of Us Remastered and is worth buying for that one game. If you can't buy both RON, you'll be happy with either.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
From my experiences, I'd say that you can't go wrong with either one.

I slightly prefer Sony largely because they had the right formula ready to go from the moment that it was announced while Microsoft had clearly busied themselves with nonsense like limiting our freedom with our own discs. But Microsoft has done a fine job of recovering since then and has pulled itself back into contention.

Too bad that there's not much in the way of exclusives for either one as of right now. And not only are there few exclusives, most of the material on both is also available on the 360 and the PS3 in fine form. So I'm holding off for now on purchasing both since I feel that their predecessors still have a lot to offer for the foreseeable future.

But barring a huge change, I'll be buying a PS4 first and will stick to that for the average multiplatform release and will add a XB1 later on for exclusives (The opposite of what I did the last two times out).

Tino said:
I own both and they are both great powerful machines. But I prefer the Xbox one as most of my friends play on Xbox live, I like the achievement system, and their exclusives like Halo, Titanfall etc..
It also has a better controller as far as I'm concerned, continuing a trend for the 3rd generation in a row ever since MS entered this market where I feel that they offered the best controller design.

Still not sure how well the d-pad is (The one weak point with the standard 360 controller and the Controller S from the original Xbox) since there's very little that takes advantage of it, but I liked everything else from the time that I've spent on it.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Tino said:
I own both and they are both great powerful machines. But I prefer the Xbox one as most of my friends play on Xbox live, I like the achievement system, and their exclusives like Halo, Titanfall etc..But the PS4 is no slouch and has the best game I ever played, The Last Of Us Remastered and is worth buying for that one game.If you can't buy both RON, you'll be happy with either.
First, thank you , everyone, for taking the time to respond. I have been reading your thoughts with
much enthusiasm.

Tino,

Wow. Reading the Amazon reviews on that game, THE LAST OF US REMASTERED, is making me
think I should jump on purchasing the PS4.

Can that game be finished easily? I would hate to get into a game that's impossible to finish or takes
forever to do so.

Unless, I hear any opposing views, by day's end I may buy the PS4 and that game.

Any additional accessories I should look into?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
RonThe Last Of Us like I said is the best game I ever played. Nothing comes close. On the various difficulty settings you can play as a shooter on the easiest difficulty or pretty much as a stealth game on the hardest. It has the best characterization of any game ever. I not ashamed to say that game brought me to tears a few times. I cannot praise it enough. For that simple reason, I say go with the PS4. You will thank me. :)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Btw Ron , I believe there is a PS4 bundle that includes the Last Of Us Remastered.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
I hate playing video games, bores me to tears pretty much but on Thanksgiving eve I caved in and found an XBox 360 with Kinect and 3 family friendly games for well under $200 from Target for my 6 year old to play with. He LOVES Minecraft so we snagged that game as well. Overall I like the system since we own a Windows 8.1 laptop etc so I have it sort of integrated (via smartphone app and laptop) into our little online world. The overall system is pretty well laid out and has lots of easy to use app like Hulu, Netflix etc.

I'm sure the XBox One is nice, but I can't justify paying double the cost to get no Kinect and no extra family friendly games.

p.s. The Kinect feature and the ability to surf I the internet just by saying "Hey Xbox" was pretty cool.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
They are both great. I have both. If I had to choose more of my friends game on Xbox so that would be the sophie's choice.

If you have any interest at all in playing Destiny with HTFers you have to go Xbox One. See the excitement in that thread =)

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
My suggestion would be to look for some games for your 360 and breathe some life into that. I enjoy video games but not nearly as much as I did 15 years ago. Back then I would save up and buy a new generation console as soon as it came out. I could afford to buy both the latest Xbox and PlayStation today without having to save for months like I did in order to get one or the other back then. I'm holding out because it's hard to justify the added expense of the latest hardware and software while being just a casual gamer.Honestly if you can't find something to play and enjoy on the 360 then the Xbox One will probably be gathering dust not long after you buy it. It's like getting a brand new laptop when you have a perfectly good one sitting in a box going unused.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Plenty of great games to play on the new systems. Hard to go back once you have experienced next gen graphics. Sure there's some life left in the old systems but why go backwards? Go forwards. :)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Also Ron, the games are the same price for old gen and new gen games.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I am definitely leaning towards getting the PS4 bundled with The Last Of Us.

However, looking at the specs on Amazon, the bundled version is a digital
download of the game.

Quite frankly, I would rather have a hard copy of it even if it costs me up to
$20 more.

I do take it that there are still hard copy versions available -or- do these boxes
contain codes to digital downloads?

As far as accessories are concerned, I'll probably need an extra controller at
some point and dual charger station. That's easily another $100.

Going to look to see if the PS4 has simple arcade games as well.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Ron, I love my PS4. But like mentioned earlier, it really is apples to oranges comparing it to the Xbox One. Both are really great systems.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Bryan^H said:
Ron, I love my PS4. But like mentioned earlier, it really is apples to oranges comparing it to the Xbox One. Both are really great systems.
Bryan,

I hear 'ya. I am very relieved that this didn't turn into a fanboy argument. I wasn't exactly
sure what I would get when I asked which was the better system.

The reason I am leaning towards the PS4 is because one, I have already owned an xBox and
want to try the other platform. I am also not a huge fan of Microsoft. Second, all the reviews
I read about THE LAST OF US say that it's best played on the PS4.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Ronald Epstein said:
I do take it that there are still hard copy versions available -or- do these boxescontain codes to digital downloads?As far as accessories are concerned, I'll probably need an extra controller atsome point and dual charger station. That's easily another $100.
Oh yeah, they are available and contain disc, not code. Digital downloads are nice though, you never have to bother swapping discs. Regarding classic arcade, if you are a fan of pinball games from the 70's to the 90's-Pinball Arcade is an amazing pinball emulator that recreates many classic pinball tables like 'Black Knight', 'Gorgar', and 'Pinbot'. It will suck you in believe me.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Ronald Epstein said:
Bryan,I hear 'ya. I am very relieved that this didn't turn into a fanboy argument. I wasn't exactlysure what I would get when I asked which was the better system.The reason I am leaning towards the PS4 is because one, I have already owned an xBox andwant to try the other platform. I am also not a huge fan of Microsoft. Second, all the reviewsI read about THE LAST OF US say that it's best played on the PS4.
The Last Of Us on the PS4 is something to behold. Story, and graphics are beyond impressive(never cried playing a video game until this) well worth every penny.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Bryan^H said:
The Last Of Us on the PS4 is something to behold.Story, and graphics are beyond impressive(never cried playing a video game until this) well worth every penny.
:eek: Please say you're joking.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks