What's new

Blu-ray Review Flaming Star Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Flaming Star Blu-ray Review

The earliest films in the movie career of singer Elvis Presley, those made both before and immediately after his military service, were undoubtedly the most interesting he ever produced. Clearly trying to better himself as an actor and play professionally with outstanding co-stars, Presley’s early film work before the musical formula set in finds him at his most interesting and entertaining as a movie actor (as opposed to movie star). Flaming Star, made with director Don Siegel in 1960, is probably his best film and his best-ever performance. A film that deals with the conflict between blood ties and racial prejudice in both a moving and exciting way, Flaming Star is likely a great deal more impressive today to folks than it was when it first premiered.

Posted Image

Studio: Fox

Distributed By: Twilight Time

Video Resolution and Encode: 1080P/AVC

Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1

Audio: English 2.0 DTS-HDMA, English 5.1 DTS-HDMA

Subtitles: English SDH

Rating: Not Rated

Run Time: 1 Hr. 32 Min.

Package Includes: Blu-ray

keep case

Disc Type: BD50 (dual layer)

Region: All

Release Date: 11/11/2014

MSRP: $29.95

The Production Rating: 4/5

The Texas range wars between the Kiowa Indians and the white settlers form the backdrop of this intense domestic drama involving a mixed race marriage between Sam Burton (John McIntire) and his Indian wife Neddy (Dolores del Rio). His older son Clint (Steve Forrest) by his first marriage and his second son by Neddy, Pacer (Elvis Presley), are looked on with suspicion by townsfolk, especially after a local family is massacred by the Kiowas but the nearby Burton ranch is left untouched. As bitter feelings toward the Burtons continue to escalate in town, Pacer feels more and more drawn to his Indian people causing the first rift between him and his older brother.Flaming Star has excellent but unshowy Don Siegel direction, a tight script by Clair Huffaker and Nunnally Johnson, and a genuinely affecting look at the depths of prejudice inherent on both sides of the warring nations. After the main title song, there’s only one other tune “A Cane and a High Starched Collar,” and it’s dispensed with very early (Siegel even allows the onlookers to whoop and holler during Elvis’ performance making it even less ostentatious as an inserted musical sequence than it might have otherwise been) leaving the remainder of the film to concentrate on its gripping and surprisingly poignant story. Siegel handles the action sequences superlatively: an early Indian attack is as shocking to the viewer as it is to the doomed Howard family, and a potential attack on his mother spurs Pacer to really show his mettle in another usually and outstandingly staged and performed fight scene. Moreover, though Elvis gets over-the-title star billing, it’s mostly an ensemble piece with choice dramatic opportunities for all until the final quarter hour where Elvis’ Pacer takes charge.All of the actors display some of their best work ever before the camera, but special mention needs to be made of Dolores del Rio whose gallant performance as a woman disowned by her people and disheartened by their cold, unwavering hatred is especially impressive, capped by a haunting death scene that will linger in the mind. Steve Forrest does impressive work as the older brother who unconditionally loves his sibling, and Rudolph Acosta shows nobility and ferocious pride as Buffalo Horn who uses reason and honor to deal with his Indian brother. John McIntire has a very touching moment of truth with son Pacer when he finally decides the call of his people is too great, and Richard Jaeckel and Barbara Eden make early appearances in the picture and both come off well, too.

Video Rating: 4.5/5 3D Rating: NA

The film’s original Cinemascope aspect ratio of 2.35:1 is presented in 1080p resolution using the AVC codec. It’s a generally impressive picture throughout with only occasionally soft long shots and a moment or two of blurry, almost misaligned color work during an attack sequence. Otherwise, sharpness is outstanding, and color is lifelike and appealing throughout especially the skin tones. Contrast has been consistently applied for a striking image. Black levels are good rather than great, but the several dark interior scenes and the many day-for-night shots never suffer from the black levels present in the transfer. The film has been divided into 12 chapters.

Audio Rating: 4/5

The disc offers both DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 stereo and 5.1 surround audio tracks. I much preferred the 2.0 track with a better low end to the mix. The 5.1 mix seemed lacking in bass and offered little spread into the surround channels. Dialogue has been well recorded and is always easy to understand. The score by Cyril Mockridge and the sound effects blend beautifully with the dialogue track without ever overpowering it. There are no age-related artifacts to detract from the listening experience.

Special Features Rating: 3.5/5

Audio Commentary: filmmaker Nick Redman and screenwriter Lem Dobbs offer another entertaining commentary track. Though a far amount of their discussion veers away from the film to tackle Elvis’ erratic movie career and Don Siegel’s impressive rediscovery and rich filmography, it’s still a track well worth experiencing. Isolated Score Track: Cyril Mockridge’s wonderfully ingratiating score is presented in DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 stereo.Theatrical Trailers (2:36 each, SD): the English and Portuguese language versions of the trailer are available for viewing.Six-Page Booklet: contains black and white, tinted, and color stills, poster art on the back cover, and film historian Julie Kirgo’s earnest evaluation of the film and Elvis Presley’s career.

Overall Rating: 4/5

Flaming Star is far, far away from the typical Elvis Presley vehicle that one normally associates with the singing star. It’s a beautifully made and thoughtful drama with a clutch of excellent performances, highly recommended! There are only 3,000 copies of this Blu-ray available. Those interested should go to www.screenarchives.com to see if product is still in stock. Information about the movie can also be found via Facebook at www.facebook.com/twilighttimemovies.

Reviewed By: Matt Hough

Support HTF when you buy this title:

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
I think King Creole is Elvis' best dramatic performance and film (how about a Blu-ray of that, Paramount?), but he is very good in this as well. The A/V quality of this TT disc is quite nice.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
My dad has always said this is Elvis' best performance on film, and it was difficult to argue against that after seeing it.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Thought I'd add my Brad's Brief Notes here on this thread.

Well if there's one thing my wife Kyrsten likes, it is a film with her two "favorite things" in it, Elvis and horses. And this film has both.

Viewed On: Vizio 49" M-Series with a Sony S2100 Blu-ray player.

The Movie: I've seen a few Elvis films here and there (I have the DVD for Clambake (1968) and the four-movie Elvis set) and I must agree this, and probably along with King Creole (1958, Twilight Time, hint hint) are Elvis's best films for sheer acting talent. Sad that the Colonel didn't recognize this and had Elvis cast into too many "Elvis Sings to a Girl" movies. I thoroughly enjoyed this film and I'm not big into the Western genre.

The Technical Aspects: See the OP, 100% concur.

Loved this film, well done Twilight Time.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I'm thinking about this as a blind buy. Not a big Elvis fan, but based on everything I've read, that isn't necessarily a prerequisite for this film.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
As a tyke in the early 60s, our family always reserved a place for the latest Elvis Presley movie*. And yet...for some reason which escapes me now...we managed to miss this one (perhaps just the glut of westerns on TV during the era)?

Later in the 60s when Flaming Star debuted on network TV, I compounded that oversight because I found it so awkward - even painful - watching CinemaScope movies crudely panned and scanned on our 19" black and white set. When home video arrived, I continued to avoid the movie on VHS for much the same reason, and don't even recall a widescreen Laserdisc. By the time FS hit DVD, Elvis movies had become anathema to me. So it's only taken me like 50+ years to get around to this one, but as I end up saying about many Twilight Time titles, "Hey, better late than never!"

What a pleasure finally seeing this Adler-era Fox gem, especially presented this way. I agree with all of your major review points Matt, only underscoring the value of that Dobbs-Redman commentary...I was so taken by this unconventional western, I immediately watched it again with that feature active. As you say, less shot-by-shot or scene-by-scene and more about their insight into the careers of both Presley and Siegel at this critical juncture in American studio filmmaking.

So if anyone else is seeing this movie for first time, or still waffling, much to enjoy here.

* like John Wayne and Jimmy Stewart...trusted brands.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
I'm convinced the only reason FLAMING STAR did not perform better at the boxoffice was because it was released only one month after his first post-army film, GI BLUES.

In New York, GI opened on November 4 and STAR on December 16, 1960
In Los Angeles, GI opened on November 16 and STAR on December 21.

ROclockCK

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
Perhaps the studio was angling for a Dolores Del Rio Supporting nom???

Flaming Star doesn't strike me as a typical December release...even in the day. Presley movies and westerns were usually given summer berths when more kids would be out of school.

ScottGros117

Agent
Real Name
Scott Gros
For those who own this disc, I'm curious as to whether or not both the stereo and 5.1 audio tracks are based on the original 4-track mix. A reviewer on another site said that the 2.0 track was mono, but I'm not exactly trusting of them. If the audio isn't based on the original stereo, I might not purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks