What's new

FEAR IN THE NIGHT - another Alpha Video Disaster (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
If you are looking to add to your DeForest Kelley collection, forget this one. I bought it, hoping that it would be one of Alpha Video's accidental PD titles that looked half-way decent, but it doesn't. It's blurry, almost unwatchable. Too bad. The noir movie isn't bad. We'll just have to wait for a legitimate company to release this.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
My local Book Off sells Alpha Video releases (all used) sometimes for $10.00 each. I wouldn't pay that much if they were new.

Mark McFurbin

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark Buggles
Anything from Alpha video is a total disaster. Some of the worst quality I've ever seen in my life.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
markiebuggles said:
Anything from Alpha video is a total disaster. Some of the worst quality I've ever seen in my life.

We know that they put out crap, but some if it is pretty good. Bela Lugosi Meets a Brooklyn Gorilla is a very good print. Just bought Brain of Blood and it was a pretty good print too.

If you don't buy some of them, you'll never have that title that you need for your collection...no matter what it looks like. They are a step up from Cheezy Fliks and Madacy, but those companies have titles that if you didn't buy, you wouldn't have the title in your collection. It's a give and take situation.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Alpha typically masters their stuff from VHS tapes. That makes them nowhere near as good as the dearly departed Roan Group.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Alpha typically masters their stuff from VHS tapes. That makes them nowhere near as good as the dearly departed Roan Group.
You're so right. I bought all their horror DVDs before they sold out, so at least my collection is complete in regards to them.

Mark McFurbin

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark Buggles
John Sparks said:
We know that they put out crap, but some if it is pretty good. Bela Lugosi Meets a Brooklyn Gorilla is a very good print. Just bought Brain of Blood and it was a pretty good print too.

If you don't buy some of them, you'll never have that title that you need for your collection...no matter what it looks like. They are a step up from Cheezy Fliks and Madacy, but those companies have titles that if you didn't buy, you wouldn't have the title in your collection. It's a give and take situation.
I'm sure if Alpha's release of Bela Lugosi Meets a Brooklyn Gorilla is very good, that means it was sourced from the Image Entertainment release which the best release this movie has ever seen. Alpha has never "originated" anything worthwhile. I would suggest picking up the Image DVD.

Cheezy Flicks and Madacy are garbage as well.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
You're right about the 2001 Image release. I never knew they released it. I finally found it at CD Universe for $9. If I didn't have the Alpha release, I'd get the Image one. Don't need another DVD, just something I don't have.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Meet Corliss Archer doesn't look too bad to me. It is an Alpha release, no?

Brian McP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Another?

I buy these Alpha Video releases all the time (mainly on special on Oldies.com) and their print quality will always be terrible, but the dvd covers are true masterpieces -- that's the way to market vintage movie titles these days, and from a movie/dvd promotion standpoint, these people are geniuses -- no wonder one can buy mini-poster prints of these covers for framing.

There was a cover of a docu-drama starring Leo G. Carroll about the Kinsey Report -- it had a cover that no movie buff could possibly resist, by the mere fact that is looked like something from bizzaro world or something -- the movie? An oddity if there ever was one -- let's leave it at that....

Mark McFurbin

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark Buggles
Richard V said:
Meet Corliss Archer doesn't look too bad to me. It is an Alpha release, no?
A PD company released around 20 volumes on VHS in the late 90's of Meet Corliss Archer. I'm sure that's where the Alpha DVD's are sourced from.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks