What's new

International Terence Fisher's "Island of Terror" Region-free UK Blu-ray Release (1 Viewer)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I don't know if this has been discussed yet, and I found out about it due to a review of the disc at DVD Beaver, but Terence Fisher's EXCELLENT 1966 sci-fi/horror film "Island of Terror" was just given a region-free UK Blu-ray release on October 27th. Starring Peter Cushing, this is a very Hammer-esque movie about cancer researchers conducting experiments on a remote Scottish island. Predictably, things go horribly wrong and Cushing plays one of the doctors sent in from the mainland to investigate a series of grisly deaths. Boasting what I consider one of the most unique plots and some of the most imaginative creatures to be found in this genre, it's a tense and well-played film that really creeped me out as kid.

While the Blu doesn't appear to be anything spectacular, from the screen shots it looks serviceable and the fact that it's actually available in HD at all is a cause for celebration in my book. If you haven't seen this film and you're a Hammer/Sci-fi-/horror fan, I can't recommend it highly enough. Truly a little gem! It's currently available from Amazon UK at the rather steep price of $26US shipped, but in this particular case I bit the bullet and ordered:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Island-Terror-Blu-ray-Peter-Cushing/dp/B00LA1ZVMA/ref=sr_1_1_twi_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1415993728&sr=8-1&keywords=island+of+terror

Too bad the cover art is so atrocious! Sheesh! ;)

5193RUnhAyL.jpg

Wade Sowers

Second Unit
Real Name
Wade Sowers
Thanks for posting - this is a favorite of mine as well. In case no one has mentioned it around here someplace, another Fisher directed science fiction film, NIGHT OF THE BIG HEAT, also came out in England a few months ago. While not as good as ISLAND OF TERROR, it does star Cushing and Christopher Lee, also takes place on an island (alien invasion this time), and is a Region Free Blu-ray.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
dpippel said:
Starring Peter Cushing, this is a very Hammer-esque movie about cancer researchers conducting experiments on a remote Scottish island. Predictably, things go horribly wrong and Cushing plays one of the doctors sent in from the mainland to investigate a series of grisly deaths.
The only time I'd ever heard of the movie was at an old all-night sci-fi film festival our college-town theater used to have every year back in the 80's-90's:
The scientists unleash a creature that attacks calcium, and victims are found with their bones dissolved--Unfortunately, EVERY single character in the movie has to ask "No bones??" in surprise when they first hear the explanation, and even Cushing has to ask it two or three times before he gets the point.
Which delighted our rowdy all-night audience no end, who would show out "No bones, no bones!" every time a body was found in any of the movies that night. (And when one shot showed a skeleton in a doctor's office, "All bones, all bones!" :lol: )

youworkmen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david
I love Night of the Big Heat - Island of Terror not so much. Both seem to share the same low budget creatures . NOTBH keeps them hidden until close to the end which works very much in its favour but IOT doesn't which tends to spoil it a bit.

In case you're not aware , the infamous hand chopping shot from IOT that was missing on the dvd has been restored to the Bluray

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks