What's new

The Razor's Edge (1946) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

post-379750-0-88965400-1415739269.jpg

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I liked this movie a lot. Just saw it again for the first time in c. 15 years. Perhaps it's just me, but as I get older it seems more meaningful.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
The DVD is nowhere near good enough. I've always assumed the elements were garbage. I'm interested in this new disc but I'll wait to hear what Shawn Belston and his colleagues have done before buying.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
tre.jpg

The Razor’s Edge
Screen legend Tyrone Power stars in this engaging classic based on W. Somerset Maugham’s best-selling novel. Despite being offered an impressive job when he returns from World War I, Larry Darrell (Power) instead opts for the Paris bohemian lifestyle, followed by a soul-searching trip to the Far East. After his beautiful fiancé (Gene Tierney) loses patience with the spiritual seeker and marries a wealthy man, Larry finds himself drawn to Sophie (Anne Baxter in an Oscar®-Winning performance), an old friend. Newly widowed, Sophie has descended into alcoholism, a state from which Larry hopes to save her in this thought-provoking film. The Razor’s Edge was nominated for four Academy Awards®, including Best Picture, Best Supporting Actor, Best Supporting Actress (won) and Best Art Direction-Interior Decoration – Black and White.
Blu-ray Special Features [SIZE= 14px]●[/SIZE] Commentary by Anthony Slide and Robert Birchard [SIZE= 14px]●[/SIZE] FOX Movietone News [SIZE= 14px]●[/SIZE] Somerset Maugham’s book “The Razor’s Edge” is Honored [SIZE= 14px]●[/SIZE] Along Broadway [SIZE= 14px]●[/SIZE] Motion Picture Academy Awards® OSCARS® for Film Achievements The Razor’s Edge Blu-ray Street Date: January 13, 2015 Screen Format: Widescreen: 1.33:1 Audio: English DTS-HD-MA 1.0 / Spanish DD 1.0 Subtitles: English / Spanish Total Film Run Time: 145 Min U.S. Rating: NR Closed Captioned: Yes The Razor’s Edge DVD Street Date: January 13, 2015 Screen Format: Fullscreen 1.33:1 Audio: English Stereo / English Mono / Spanish Mono Subtitles: English / Spanish Total Film Run Time: 145 Min U.S. Rating: NR Closed Captioned: Yes

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
Paul Rossen said:
Seems strange that the specs show 1.0 DTS for the Blu-ray and Stereo for the DVD
That was SOP with Fox for their DVD classics that originally had mono soundtracks, to include a phony-baloney "stereo" track in addition to the original mono. Their Studio Classics line and Film Noir series were all like that. The "stereo" generally sounded a little out-of-phase and equalized differently.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
Paul Penna said:
That was SOP with Fox for their DVD classics that originally had mono soundtracks, to include a phony-baloney "stereo" track in addition to the original mono. Their Studio Classics line and Film Noir series were all like that. The "stereo" generally sounded a little out-of-phase and equalized differently.
I hear you but if FOX really want to produce a stereo track they may have a way. The film score by Alfred Newman was indeed recorded with 2 mikes one near field one away. The last cd release does have a good(true) stereo effect.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
JoelA said:
I've never seen this, but will probably blind buy due to Gene Tierney who was at her peak at this point. I just watched TT's Leave Her to Heaven, released the year before, last night. Great movie!
Gene Tierney was never prettier nor better in any film. IMO The Razor's Edge is her triumph! In fact it is a fine film that has stood the test of time.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I am surprised Dragonwyck has not been picked up by TT. Vincent Price gives shades of what his roles were going to be in the 60s movies. Lot of people do not know that Gene's husband designed many of her clothes in her movies. I have two books on her and one book just all about Laura not the novel just all about the movie.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Mark Collins said:
I am surprised Dragonwyck has not been picked up by TT. Vincent Price gives shades of what his roles were going to be in the 60s movies. Lot of people do not know that Gene's husband designed many of her clothes in her movies. I have two books on her and one book just all about Laura not the novel just all about the movie.
Yes Oleg Cassini (Gene's husband of many years) designed her clothes in quite a few of her films, including the period stuff in "Ghost and Mrs Muir".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks