What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ La Dolce Vita -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

I've not seen Fellini's La Dolce Vita in decades.  I was forced to view this film, L'Avventura, and several Ingmar Bergman masterpieces so many times, dissecting them, evaluating and re-evaluating them again and again, that it's only now that I'm able to enjoy them.

Criterion's new Blu-ray makes that very easy.  Everything that could be done to make the new Blu-ray as perfect as the film, has been done.

Working from the original camera negative, the black & white tonalities are once again, perfect.  Grain structure is as it should be.  Blacks, highlights, gray scale, all in line.

One of the most important films in cinema history.

Get a copy, and if you've never seen it, drink it in.

A magnificent Blu-ray.

Image - 5

Audio - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
Thanks, ordered.

One of the most influential films ever made in my opinion. Changed how we look at ourselves.

david hare

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david hare
Yes Anthony it's sourced from the Film Foundation/Gucci/Ritrovate 4K restoration.

Criterion's Lee Kline may have tweaked it ever so slightly, but quite honestly the current Italian/Japanese BDs are so good I can't see any need for Crit to change a thing on the encode. Something it seems to do also is remove a slight case of Scope mumps, which is certainly evident on the OZ Umbrella disc for instance (from an earlier and very good 2k master.) You can safely buy it as certified best available. RAH isn't kidding.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
La Dolce Vita and 8 1/2 are my favorites from the master director. Love the famous opening scene where the Christ statue is carried above the city of Rome.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Thank you for the "words about" La Dolce Vita. I'm really looking forward to it.

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
I prefer the Fellinis from the 50s, but it's always good to see that his films are restored in 4k for posterity. Can we have his 2 50s masterpieces now, please?

ShellOilJunior

Second Unit
I'm going to scoop this up this weekend. I was fortunate enough to see the restoration print a few yeas ago and was blown away.

Calling La Dolce Vita an essential would be an understatement.

Mark VH

Second Unit
May get this during the B&N sale. Great film (Mastroianni owns), but I realized I've owned the Kino Lorber DVD for about a decade and have watched it exactly once in that time. Gonna be hard to justify an upgrade, even at just $20.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
Thanks for the review, Robert. I'm planning on picking this up during the Criterion sale at B&N in November.

Darby

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I have the Eyetalian, and it is truly great and I really can't imagine the Criterion being different in any way because I just don't believe there would be any way to improve upon it. However, since it's a favorite, I will get it, if not just for the extras.

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina
Thanks for the review, Mr. Robert!!! I will be definitely picking this one up as one of four Criterion Collectible BD's going under the tree for XMAS Day!!!!

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Next week Paramount is suppose to release La Dolce Vita on Blu-ray but so far i have not see a picture of the Blu-ray cover or the details on it....very odd!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Next week Paramount is suppose to release La Dolce Vita on Blu-ray but so far i have not see a picture of the Blu-ray cover or the details on it....very odd!
I don't know about the cover, but there is little doubt this Blu-ray release is derived from the same 4K restoration used for the 2014 Criterion Blu-ray that the Film Foundation funded.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Criterion website shows it out of print, however it’s still available in the Fellini Box set that was just released. I really need to pick up that box set before it disappears too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks