What's new

Predestination (Spierig Brothers, Ethan Hawke) Review (Toronto After Dark) (1 Viewer)

Yavin

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ben Mk
Adapted from Robert A. Heinlein's 1959 short story, "All You Zombies", Predestination -- the Spierig Brothers' film about a temporal agent (Ethan Hawke) in pursuit of an elusive mass murderer -- seems to be cut from the same mold as Timecop. Appearances, however, can be deceiving, as becomes apparent in the story itself.

The movie premiered at SXSW earlier this year and has since gone on to play at festivals such as Fantasia and, now, Toronto After Dark. It's definitely a must-see for fans of the time-travel genre.

From my Toronto After Dark review:
The story is tricky to synopsize without spoilers, but the broad strokes of it have Ethan Hawke playing said temporal agent, in pursuit of the mysterious "Fizzle Bomber", a mass murderer who's eluded capture time and time again. True to the movie's tagline — "To save the future, he must reshape the past." — he's sent back to 1970 New York City, five years before the bomber strikes his most vicious blow. There, he meets John (newcomer Sarah Snook, in a gender-bending role), a man of crucial importance to the cause, and sets about trying to convince him to join the Temporal Bureau.

As the film progresses, the pieces of its puzzle gradually fall into place, and we begin to realize how the lives of John, our temporal agent and the Fizzle Bomber are intertwined. Suffice to say, the revelations are mind-bending and will come completely out of left field for anyone unfamiliar with the source material. Much more intelligent and emotionally resonant than your average save-the-world-through-time-travel movie, Predestination reflects the core themes of Heinlein's original short story — concerning the immutability of destiny — through a skillfully constructed narrative and wonderfully acted performances from Hawke and (especially) Snook. But you can just think of it as the time-travel genre's answer to Fight Club.
4.5 out of 5.

Yavin

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ben Mk
Actually, don't be put off the film because of it. I only included it as an allusion to potential spoilers. If you see the film, you'll understand exactly why I find the comparison fitting. Tonally, it's nothing like Fight Club. I was absolutely blown away by it.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Just watched this movie and it must be the worst movie since unsliced bread!

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
I just watched it and thoroughly enjoyed it. The revelations when they come don't ultimately surprise as anyone familiar with the genre will likely guess the general points. But the detail make this worth watching, if only for a great performance by Sarah Snook - the flashback and two hander between her and Hawke in the first half of the film almost make you forget the time travel element.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I rented this on Redbox a while back. I saw the twist with Sarah Snook's character coming a mile away, but I didn't piece together the twist with Ethan Hawke's character until later on in the story.

For me, everything about the film worked except for Fizzle Bomber subplot. It just seemed like one step too far for me.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I don't understand the appeal of the movie. Making complicated and twisted plots just for the sake of it, don't work for me.

I really dislike movies like this that are just trying to be gimmicky. I'm not even sure if the story is coherent.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
SamT said:
I don't understand the appeal of the movie. Making complicated and twisted plots just for the sake of it, don't work for me.

I really dislike movies like this that are just trying to be gimmicky. I'm not even sure if the story is coherent.
It is a (good) film based on a popular short story from 1958. Nothing needlessly complicated, just nicely layered and intriguing, if imperfect - in my opinion.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Robert Heinlein was all about the thought experiment, like many accomplished SF authors. He would take a premise and explore its ramifications. The original story is a great examination of the paradoxes surrounding time travel. The predestination paradox is a staple of time travel stories. Example: The Terminator. Kyle Reese goes back in time to protect the mother of John Connor and ends up fathering John Connor who sends him back to the past to protect his mother.

I enjoyed the film Predestination, but probably need to see it again to fully formulate my opinions.

- Walter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks