What's new

International The Gang's All Here - Masters of Cinema Region B (1 Viewer)

david hare

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david hare
I've been checking through this new release which arrived this morning. I believe this is the best it will ever look (and sound!) since the private collector's 35mm IB print last made the rounds. The pity is it's only available so far for Region B or Region Free players.

David Mackenzie who has previously done outstanding work for the UK Arrow label did the mastering, and Michael Brooke, also from Arrow managed QC issues for MoC. Disc producer is Craig Keller. The image is absolutely flawless, microscopically carefully balanced and timed and with the added depth and resolution of 1080p the color timing and saturation now looks very close to original Technicolor and the best BD transfers of it, like the Film Foundation Powell/Pressburgers. Skin tones now show a range of both skin color and makeup that wasn't nearly achieved on the reissue DVD of a few years ago, and the whole film tone and texture now looks real, not pushed on the desk.

The extras include the documentary from the Fox NTSC DVD "Busby Berkely: A journey with a Star" and the five minute deleted scene (in fifth gen Eastmancolor.) A superb booklet with an essay by Scottish cineaste David Cairns which had me rolling on the floor, (not an easy task these days) and a terrific three way commentary track recorded in NYC earlier this year with old hands Glenn Kenny, Farran Smith Nehme and Ed Hulse. There is no mention of Mr Belston's hand in the booklet or elsewhere but I would not be surprised if he didn't have some role in the new master. I hope it gets wider release but in the meantime it's yet another good reason to go multi region. And given the horrors going on in the world these days, I think we need the feelgood lunacy of a master like Berkely and this insanely wonderful film more than ever.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Mine is on its way from the U.K. It will take too long, but I am enjoying that anticipation.

Thanks for your comments. They've sweetened the longing.

:)

verneaux

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bill
The Gang's All Here has one of the most jaw-dropping opening shots this side of Touch of Evil. Surprised that Berkely doesn't get more credit.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Mark Walker said:
Mine is on its way from the U.K. It will take too long, but I am enjoying that anticipation.

Thanks for your comments. They've sweetened the longing.

:)
I hope you'll give us your opinions once you receive and watch it.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Mark Walker said:
Amazon UK? They usually make to me here in Boston in three to four days...I think it's supah dupah quick (especially considering the Agatha Christie set I ordered from Italy took weeeeeekks....)

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
I just received my copy from Amazon UK! It's going to be a weekend full of Technicolor surrealism for me!

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
I'll probably be buying this soon as I have low expectations of it making it Region A. Early reports indicate some stunning Technicolor on this one.

Can anyone confirm this is indeed Region B locked? Not that it'll make much difference to me, just slightly prefer the less hassle of a region-free disc.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Only asked because sometimes it advertises Region B by default but it really isn't locked at all. Thanks, though.

david hare

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david hare
Jo, although Fox in the USA is generally Region free, virtually every Fox title released outside the USA or licensed to non Stateside labels (like those to MoC, Carlotta in France or Madman in Oz) are obliged to be region locked.I honestly don't know how punters can survive without region free players. There are cheap options for Statesiders, although I swear by modded Oppo BDP93.The transfer is so detailed and clear you can now see all the darkened wires and wingnuts attached to the neon hoops in the mad catwoman chorus girls section of the hallucinatory finale. Not to mention the (real) servicemen in the canteen slapping their thighs in the background of the travelling wide shots while the Benny Goodman band synchs to playback "Minnie's in the Money". And it's now easy to spot Carmen Miranda' re-chiselled nose job and the sculpturally applied makeup to try to give her face some kind of "symmetry". The makeup styles throughout vary from standard Techni tan and pancake, to Alice Faye's peaches and cream. This is a totally immersive experience now, no little thanks to the lossless LPCM mono audio. Fox's recording technicians in the 40s really are the equal to Warner's for sheer uncompressed blasting orchestral sound.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Will Krupp said:
Amazon UK? They usually make to me here in Boston in three to four days...I think it's supah dupah quick (especially considering the Agatha Christie set I ordered from Italy took weeeeeekks....)
I've been finding that shipments from Europe are taking roughly twice as long to reach me as they did a year ago. Something to do with Homeland Security or some such nonsense.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
OK OK already .. no more arm-twisting; I've ordered it. Don't know what took me so long!
ps David ... re my bio pic ... isn't Robyn exactly as she was a few years ago .. 50 years ago to be exact. eeeKH

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
And I agree with Mr. Hare - there are so many great things coming out in other regions and there are very inexpensive all-region players to be had - why wouldn't you get one? I have both the Oppo 93 and the 103 and love them both.

david hare

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david hare
Bruce once you get the disc I very eagerly anticipate hearing your opinion about the transfer. I think your take on color accuracy especially IB Tech is, along with RAH's the most reliable on the web. (I also trust my own obviously if only through sheer dint of age, but I have never had the good luck to see the IB print held by whatsisname, although I was staying in New York for the first few months of 1972, but that screening was much later in the year I gather. I would hazard a safe guess you are familiar with that legendary print.) .

Anthony, I put Robyn's looks down to bone structure, (And I hate her guts) and unlike us she doesn't sink a bottle or two of Shiraz Grenache a night.

I don't understand why my keyboard underlined everything!! Senior's moment!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
david hare said:
Bruce once you get the disc I very eagerly anticipate hearing your opinion about the transfer. I think your take on color accuracy especially IB Tech is, along with RAH's the most reliable on the web. (I also trust my own obviously if only through sheer dint of age, but I have never had the good luck to see the IB print held by whatsisname, although I was staying in New York for the first few months of 1972, but that screening was much later in the year I gather. I would hazard a safe guess you are familiar with that legendary print.) . Anthony, I put Robyn's looks down to bone structure, (And I hate her guts) and unlike us she doesn't sink a bottle or two of Shiraz Grenache a night. I don't understand why my keyboard underlined everything!! Senior's moment!
I presume you're referring to Eric Spilker, who had the brilliant audacity to not only license the film from Fox c 1971-2, but to have Technicolor produce new dye transfer prints for his limited release. They were magnificent!RAH

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I was one of the lucky ones to have seen this fabled print at the New Yorker theater (must have been '72). It was, as RAH, states: Magnificent!

david hare

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david hare
Robert Harris said:
I presume you're referring to Eric Spilker, who had the brilliant audacity to not only license the film from Fox c 1971-2, but to have Technicolor produce new dye transfer prints for his limited release. They were magnificent!RAH
Yes it is. The trio of commentators recall and discuss both the 1972 and 1992 screenings in NYC of his IB print. The point in the film this happens is the finale of the Lady in the Tutti Fruity Hat number and the beginning of the Staten Island Ferry number (which contains the one and only 35 second shot which has extremely minor three strip fringing .)
Glenn Kenny and Eric Hulse, both native New Yorkers knew the print well, and Hulse had some organizational duties for the 92 event basically "chaperoning"" Alice Faye for the show and post screening love fest. This is one of the rarest of commentaries, like Eddie MUllers' always wonderful Noir tracks, absolutely compelling because everyone is both a dedicated cinephile able to discuss film language and Berkely's huge role in American movies with great insight, and of course their formidable industry knowledge is also compelling. But one's has to fight the desire to keep switching back to the Warren score and the Fox band in preference.

David Cairn's long booklet essay is also a killer piece of hilariouslty funny, abstruse analysis. David has a wicked sense of humor which I know well from elsewhere. I once called him my favorite straight gay man (And saluted his lovely wife.) Perhaps I am his favorite gay straight man?

But mere sexualities take second place to the miracle that is Gang's All Here.

Eastmancolor

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Harwood
Eric Spilker loaned one of his 35mm IB Tech prints to the American Cinematheque in Hollywood for a Technicolor festival about a decade ago.

It was a stunner!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks