What's new

Epson 5030ub action scenes are blurred or rushed. Hard to see (1 Viewer)

newguy18

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
Hi guys. I'm newer so please go easy on me.I just received my new 5030ub and I'm very pleased so far. However, I have noticed that in action scenes (or fast moving scenes) things get blurred or rushed (hard to explain). For example I watched Captain America: The Winter Soldier and during the fight scenes things are difficult to see (as explained above). I have played around with the Frame Interpolation settings (off, low, normal, and high) but they do not seem to help with the scenes. I typically have that set to Low just because the higher I get the more soap opera effect I see, but like I said the higher settings are not fixing my problem. I have also set the different settings in the Iris settings as well. My projector is connected to a Denon receiver X2000 with high speed HDMI cable and a LG blue ray player is connected to the receiver as well. I have the projector set in the THX mode and the blue ray player is outputting 1080p.This is very frustrating on my end because I was so excited to get my first home theater effect and this is a bit of a set back. Does anyone have any recommendations for resolving this problem or has anyone encountered this problem?Many thanks in advance to anyone who is able to help.

newguy18

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
I get that, but there has to be some settings that I'm missing or else I would expect a lot of people would be complaining about this.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
People complain about that all the time.LCD still killed plasma and DLP.LCD wins contrast and brightness in projectors.Loses every other category.

newguy18

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
Again, I get that and if that is the case then can you explain why I can watch the same movie and action scenes on my LCD TV and not see the blurred images during the fast action scenes?

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
newguy18 said:
I have played around with the Frame Interpolation settings...

...the higher settings are not fixing my problem.
If anything, the higher settings would exacerbate the problem. If the problem is distracting to you even with everything turned off/disabled, then there's likely nothing more that can be done with that projector to alleviate the problem.

To echo what Sam said - this has been and always will be a capability that is lacking for LCD display technology. Motion blur and streaking on LCD displays hasn't gone away (and it won't), but the problem has been around for so long, many people have either grown to accept it, or just don't notice anymore.

If the projector is new and you still have an opportunity to return it, perhaps you should and maybe find some local dealers that have DLP models available for you to try. Bring "Winter Solider" with you for comparison.

You don't have to "settle" for a projector you find less than satisfying.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
newguy18 said:
Again, I get that and if that is the case then can you explain why I can watch the same movie and action scenes on my LCD TV and not see the blurred images during the fast action scenes?
How big is the TV? How big is the projected image? The larger the image, the more apparent the deficiencies will be. Unmount your projector and hold it up the screen to make an image the same size as your TV. Is the blurriness any better?

Not saying that's the ONLY difference, but you can't always make apples-to-apples comparisons between a flat panel display and a front projector just because they're both LCD.

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
On page 79 of the Epson 5030ub manual, it talks about a "fast" setting under Signal->Advanced->Image Processing.

This sounds like the same thing as "game" mode. It will make the images softer and less sharp, but improve speed. Have you tried that yet?

newguy18

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
Thanks guys. The more detailed responses help and make more sense.

Jason, you are correct, my LCD screen is smaller so that could be the reason.

I will try the "Fast" setting tonight and see if that does anything.

All of the responses are very helpful. Many thanks to everyone on here helping out.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
You may also be getting more of the "Film look" that is baked into 24fps content, especially if you are watching it closer and on a bigger screen than what you are used to. On my 5020 I am never distracted by any of this whether it is film content or LCD tech related, but your MMV.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frame_rate
http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/128113-why-movies-are-moving-from-24-to-48-fps
http://www.reddit.com/r/explainlikeimfive/comments/1k546z/eli5_why_is_it_that_movies_look_unbelievably/
http://www.cameratechnica.com/2011/11/21/what-is-the-highest-frame-rate-the-human-eye-can-perceive/

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Mike, you should have NO issues when viewing motion. Try turning off all the extra frame stuff.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I have this same projector, and a copy of "Winter Soldier" as well -- I didn't notice anything that seemed off when I watched it (I watched the 3D version). I saw it twice in theaters, and found that the Epson did a good job of reproducing the movie as I remembered it. (I do remember the cutting being very fast in theaters.. that doesn't usually bother me, but particularly in the helicarrier fight at the end, things are moving very quickly.) I have mine set to THX mode, with frame interpolation set to "off" and the Auto-Iris turned on.

From your post, it sounds like you've tried a few different discs with fast action scenes and had an issue with the content. I'm sure it would be a pain in the ass to do so, but if it were me, I'd see about arranging an exchange for a replacement - there might just be a defect with the one you got. I got my projector in July, and I've put about 300 hours on it so far, and I haven't had any complaints with how it's run. And I'm the guy who gets up at the movie theater to complain when the movie is out of focus or anything else. I spent a lot of time when I was setting it up looking for flaws, putting on the discs that caused the most issues on my older TV, and everything looked pretty close to flawless to me.

Sorry for the inconvenience and trouble you've been having, hopefully you'll be back up and running shortly.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
hey guys. Epson just sent me an email....if you purchase an Epson 5030 between Oct 1 and Dec 31 Epson will send you a free extra lamp. One heck of a deal (IMO).

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Very cool. Alas I ordered in July - but no regrets, I've already gotten a ridiculous amount of enjoyment out of it in that time.

shawn_praveen

Auditioning
Real Name
Sai
Hi Mike,

I see the same rushed action scenes.
Screen - Screen innovation zero edge (120 ") & my projector is mounted on ceiling 15 feet from the screen.
Got the new 5030UB, my setting are
Frame Interpolation - OFF,
AUTO IRIS - OFF.
Super Resolution - OFF
Image Processing - Fine (Tried Fast) as well

I was watching the Avatar Bluray 2d (Chapter 7 or 8) - where Jake Avatar gets wanders off in the jungle, and encounters the leopard avatar (Thanator).This particular scene, until Jake escapes and falls down a waterfall - is so rushed & wasn't able to watch.

Please let me know if you have resolved the issue & what's your settings.
Others any help would great

Thanks
Sai

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks