What's new

Richard Attenborough RIP (1 Viewer)

DaveB

Stunt Coordinator
You know the first attraction I ever built when I came down south from Scotland? It was a Flea Circus, Petticoat Lane. Really quite wonderful. We had a wee trapeze, and a merry-go... carousel and a seesaw. They all moved, motorized of course, but people would say they could see the fleas. "Oh, I see the fleas, mummy! Can't you see the fleas?" Clown fleas and high wire fleas and fleas on parade... But with this place, I wanted to show them something that wasn't an illusion. Something that was real, something that they could see and touch.
Sir Richard Attenboro was a tremendous, original voice who brought to life some of my all-time favorite moments on screen (such as the above) as both actor and director. What a loss.

R.I.P.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
I enjoyed many of his performances over the years.

So sorry to see yet another great actor leave us this year.

R.I.P.

davidHartzog

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John smith
R.I.P. Richard Attenborough, class act in films such as Seance on a Wet Afternoon, The Great Escape, The Last Grenade, and director of the stirring A Bridge Too Far.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
I had mixed feelings about CHAPLIN (1994), but it was probably the only film bio about this seminal figure in the history of American cinema that we're going to get in my lifetime, so I was grateful it was made and happy I got to see it on the big screen. And when I did see it, I urged every film buff I knew to go see it, if only to pay tribute to Chaplin, who was a major pioneer in developing film as an art form and not just an entertainment medium.

Of the other directorial efforts by Attenborough that I've seen, I was most pleased with A BRIDGE TOO FAR and really need to see that one again. I remember not liking GANDHI, but I don't recall why. Maybe I should see that again.

Of his acting jobs, I've only seen a few, mainly THE GREAT ESCAPE, FLIGHT OF THE PHOENIX, THE SAND PEBBLES and, later, JURASSIC PARK.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
the great escape - attenborough.jpg

R.I.P.

GlennF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn Frost
Obviously a very talented man both as an actor and a director. I enjoyed A BRIDGE TOO FAR, (saw it twice) GANDHI and most of the early films he directed. I recently watched OH WHAT A LOVELY WAR on DVD which includes extensive on camera interviews with him as an extra. A film that certainly does have its problems (length, mostly) but it is extremely inventive, tries to be something different, and is certainly very admirable as a first time directing experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks