What's new

Decision Time: Used Kuro vs. Samsung F8500. (1 Viewer)

Renzo

Auditioning
Real Name
JT
It's been roughly eight years since my last TV purchase (a totally serviceable but unremarkable Sharp 37"). Looking to upgrade in both quality and size. Browsing the forums/reviews has narrowed the selection to a handful of options. Only real considerations are price and picture quality: nothing else is a deal-breaker. These appear to be my choices:

- The Samsung 51F8500. Heard quality was comparable to the Panasonic P50ST60. Around $1500-$1700. Cons: heard there's a "buzz" that bothers some users.

- Samsung UN50EH5300. I realize LED/LCD is not tops for picture quality, but Dell might honor a deal from a few weeks back for $699 with a $250 gift card, making the set $450. Hard to pass up.

- A local Craig's Lister has the Pioneer Kuro KRP-500M already calibrated by Chris Eberle from a smoke/pet-free home. Asking a firm $1500. Tempting, but that's a high price for a TV with no warranty or recourse. I'd also have to buy a sound system. That price would get me the F8500 new in box. Is the Kuro that much more impressive?

- The Vizio TC-P55ST60. $699. Heard it has a flimsy frame but picture quality is impressive for the price. Would get me an extra 5".

Any advice appreciated. Thanks!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Renzo,

I am sorry I am late with this reply.

Not sure if you made your decision yet but here are my thoughts....

I own the 65" Samsung F8500. By far, the best display I have ever owned. Picture quality is
just amazing. It does what no other plasma can do -- offer deep blacks while displaying bright
whites usually associated with LED/LCD displays.

Buzzing? My 65" doesn't have it. However, I have read lots of reports of the smaller models
having that problem. That would be a concern for me as well. I suppose if you buy it from a
retailer that will accept returns, you can take a chance. Quite frankly, it may be worth the gamble
knowing the picture quality you will get in return.

The Kuro sounds tempting. I don't think you will get quite the black levels that the Kuro offers on
any other plasma, but that being said, the Samsungs and Panasonic models do come close.

Let us know what you end up purchasing.

vidiot33

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
I've owned 2 Kuros and they're still state of the art. I have a 60" that's still going strong after several years and looks great, as good or better than anything else out there I've ever seen.That would be what I'd get. Hardware failures are generally within the first few months and if the set you're looking at has been properly calibrated, no reason to believe it won't be a safe bet. As for Samsung, these reports of "buzzing" have been part of the narrative for years, and they still haven't resolved them. If other company's panels can be buzz free (many less expensive) why can't Samsung? It is inexcusable.

Renzo

Auditioning
Real Name
JT
Thanks to Ron and everyone who replied. The Craig's List Kuro is off the table, so I think I'm going to opt for the F8500. Hoping for a holiday sale this weekend to bring the sticker price down a little bit. Will update on my luck.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Dave,

Thanks for the link. Very sad news considering Plasma is just about dead.
I would expect LG will be out of the plasma business shortly as well.

Renzo,

Congrats on making a sound purchase.

Don't know if you are going to see a drop in the Samsung now they have
announced they are going to stop making plasmas. There *could* indeed
be a drop, or these displays may become a hot commodity where based on
their pending extinction, price gouging occurs.

....but you'll be watching and will know when the price is right. I really think
that, given this is the last opportunity to own a plasma, you really should get
the best one there is while you can.

I promise you, the F8500 does not disappoint -- at least the 64" doesn't.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
It's amazing, Robert.

I talked about this before....

Plasma is clearly the superior technology.

However, most uneducated consumers go into stores and see the bright LCD/LED
displays and that is what they go for. They don't understand anything about black levels.

The ignorant public continues to dumb down everything because for them, they want
the cheapest method of receiving their entertainment.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Robert Crawford said:
The general public has spoken and plasma displays as well as those of us that love that technology are paying the price. :rolleyes:
That is SO much more politely said than anything I could come up with...none of which would be printable on a family site.

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Very well. Not pretty well.

Few things in this field we all enjoy so much perplex and infuriate me like this situation, right here.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ronald Epstein said:
It's amazing, Robert.

I talked about this before....

Plasma is clearly the superior technology.

However, most uneducated consumers go into stores and see the bright LCD/LED
displays and that is what they go for. They don't understand anything about black levels.

The ignorant public continues to dumb down everything because for them, they want
Well, we've seen that from the very start of this hobby going back to the video tape era (Beta vs. VHS).

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Ronald Epstein said:
Not really true in this case, though. Plasma has been consistently cheaper than LCD. I think it's more that plasma seems dim in a bright store setting, and salesmen have pushed higher-commission LCDs.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Not really true in this case, though. Plasma has been consistently cheaper than LCD. I think it's more that plasma seems dim in a bright store setting, and salesmen have pushed higher-commission LCDs.
Worth,

Wasn't particularly referring to just Plasma in that example, it came off wrong.

If you go to the linked thread in my post above yours you will see I make the argument
that consumers are buying the brightest displays they can -- not the best.

As far as price is concerned, that applies more towards the extinction of CDs. Most
people prefer the convenience and price of downloading over purchasing a hard copy.
History is repeating itself with home streaming over purchasing a Blu-ray or DVD disc.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I've never been "diplomatic" in my discourse about the whimsy of Joe Schmu...er Public...and how they screw up the marketplace.

Charles Smith

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I think most people never got the memo that plasma was actually cheaper.
They wanted the biggest, thinnest, and lightest -- for what was PERCEIVED to be the cheapest.

And poor -- very poor -- consumer education on the part of stores and salespeople contributed mightily.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Hopefully when my current 55" Panny plasma bites the dust, there will still be models out there for sale....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks