Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

World Cup Soccer - 2014!

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
166 replies to this topic

#21 of 167 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,420 posts

Posted June 13 2014 - 10:44 AM

Walter,

This morning, I heard several fans complaining about the officiating in a couple of games.  And the mantra of some fans for what they see many players doing is "flop 'till you drop." ;)

• Walter C likes this

#22 of 167 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted June 13 2014 - 10:50 AM

And the mantra of some fans for what they see many players doing is "flop 'till you drop." ;)

Let's wait till Portugal play and see if Ronaldo does it, maybe he has matured to the point where he doesn't have to fall over anymore but he was bad for that at the last world cup, some of these players could win Olympic diving competitions.

I laughed when Gareth Bale joined Real Madrid, my first thought was they now had two world class divers in their team, oh for sure they are both great players but they can fall too easily, it can be difficult for referees when players do that, i'd send them off.

• Ockeghem likes this

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#23 of 167 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,658 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted June 13 2014 - 02:14 PM

Mexico won a hard fought battle, should have got a goal that was poorly disallowed, i hope referees and linesmen are not going to be the talk of this tournament, they should really be invisible, when you don't notice the referee it means they are doing a good job and letting the game flow.  Looking forward to the Spain versus Holland match later, i think Spain will win.

Remind me not to take any betting advice from you, Malcolm. :lol:

Walter,

This morning, I heard several fans complaining about the officiating in a couple of games.  And the mantra of some fans for what they see many players doing is "flop 'till you drop." ;)

Scott, you should be an expert on that after watching Brad Marchand play hockey all these years for the Bruins. :P

• FoxyMulder likes this

#24 of 167 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted June 13 2014 - 04:24 PM

Remind me not to take any betting advice from you, Malcolm. :lol:

Just bet on the team i say won't win and you will be fine, Holland were superb but just remember at the last world cup that Spain lost the opening game but went on to win the tournament, having said that i can actually see them getting knocked out in the group stages this time.

For my next set of predictions, i think tomorrow that Italy and England will have a 1-1 draw, Columbia will beat Greece and Uruguay will beat Costa Rica, if i'm wrong i'll just say the cat gave me those results and i'll need to find me a reliable octopus. 

• Scott Merryfield likes this

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#25 of 167 OFFLINE   Patrick_S

Patrick_S

Producer

• 3,042 posts

Posted June 14 2014 - 06:42 AM

Don't know who will win it all but one thing is for certain, it won't be England and once again all Englishmen will be astonished that they did not win what is their birth right.

It never gets old.
  • FoxyMulder likes this

#26 of 167 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted June 14 2014 - 07:07 AM

Don't know who will win it all but one thing is for certain, it won't be England and once again all Englishmen will be astonished that they did not win what is their birth right.

It never gets old.

Yeah the newspapers and television commentators tend to go overboard in England when the world cup comes around, unrealistic expectations, this year they have toned it down more but if England beat Italy it will start up again, nothing wrong with passion but Englands defence is a weakness and Wayne Rooney never delivers at world cups.

#27 of 167 OFFLINE   Patrick_S

Patrick_S

Producer

• 3,042 posts

Posted June 14 2014 - 08:17 PM

That was some excellent football in the Italy/England match.

No cheap goals in that one.

#28 of 167 OFFLINE   Richard Travale

Richard Travale

Producer

• 3,424 posts
  • LocationThe Island, Canada

Posted June 15 2014 - 12:21 AM

Aside from his pass to Sterling on the lone England goal, Rooney was a non-factor in this match. In fact, the English side may have done better if he was not playing.

"Cock your hat - angles are attitudes. "
- Frank Sinatra 

#29 of 167 OFFLINE   andrew markworthy

andrew markworthy

Producer

• 4,766 posts

Posted June 15 2014 - 04:51 AM

Yeah the newspapers and television commentators tend to go overboard in England when the world cup comes around, unrealistic expectations, 

I'm a Brit, but I never cease to be amazed by three delusional themes in the national psyche:

(1) We won our last three significant European wars (Waterloo, WWI, WWII) without anyone else's help. Admittedly, this view is mellowing, and some radicals are now prepared to admit that the Commonwealth and the USA helped a bit (but not Russia).

(2) Whatever weather we have is the exact opposite of what we should be having. Thus, the first snowflake of winter is treated with the same amazement as it would be if Kingston Jamaica were buried under a snowdrift. Likewise, sunshine in summer gets the same hyperbolic response it might get in Siberia in December (only in the UK could you get newspaper headlines like 'Britain Sizzles in the Seventies' - and that's Farenheit we're talking about).

(3) The World Cup is of course British in origin (the fact a French guy thought it up is ignored) and somehow Johnny Foreigner has stolen our birthright by winning all the time. This is incredible because of course England by definition should have the best football side in the world. 

If we face facts, England has never had a particularly good national side. It has won the World Cup twice - once in the early days, when relatively few teams entered, and then almost fifty years ago (relying on playing on home territory and with a *very* dubious goal in their favour in the final). True, England often gets into the second round at least, but that is typically because a couple of the teams are made up of part-timers from the Sandwich Islands or similar, so it isn't exactly an accomplishment.

• Scott Merryfield and FoxyMulder like this

#30 of 167 OFFLINE   Patrick_S

Patrick_S

Producer

• 3,042 posts

Posted June 15 2014 - 06:13 AM

Haven't they only won it once? 1966

They didn't even bother to enter the tournament until 1950.

I thought the big controversial aspect of the tournament was that England played all of their games at Wembley while all the other teams traveled around.

#31 of 167 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted June 15 2014 - 06:21 AM

The Uruguay vs England match looks like it will be a sizzler with both teams needing a win, i wouldn't write off little Costa Rica just yet although i think they will struggle in their next two games, for me the best match so far has been Holland against Spain, yesterday's match with England and Italy was also  very good, i got one of my predictions right, so i'll do a Meatloaf and say one outta three ain't bad. ( okay it is bad but who's counting  :D )  Okay today's predictions from me are below.

Switzerland 2  Ecuador 1

France 3 Honduras 0

Argentina 4 Bosnia Herzegovina 1

#32 of 167 OFFLINE   andrew markworthy

andrew markworthy

Producer

• 4,766 posts

Posted June 15 2014 - 07:41 AM

Haven't they only won it once? 1966

The FIFA World Cup, yes. But before the FIFA cup, there were other semi-official competitions between nations that were called 'world cups'. Sorry, not a football expert, but this is what I've been told and always taken it as accurate. However, more than happy to be corrected. Actually, if it is once rather than twice, all it does is further strengthen my argument that England has a not very good national team.

#33 of 167 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,420 posts

Posted June 15 2014 - 09:09 AM

Foxy,

Well, one-out-of-three is quite good if we're talking about batting averages. ;)

#34 of 167 OFFLINE   Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby

Supporting Actor

• 937 posts
  • LocationKent "The Garden of England", UK

Posted June 15 2014 - 10:03 AM

England's problem has always been the team lacks the light touch and flair to be truly successful at international level. Rooney & Co. grind out results in the Premiership but always look lethargic when not surrounded by foreign players. The UK media hype up their talents relentlessly each week but all this does is expose them in the important events like The World Cup. They may scrape through the group but I expect their flight home is already booked.

#35 of 167 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,658 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted June 15 2014 - 10:04 AM

Amazing finish to the Swiss - Ecuador match. Wow!

#36 of 167 OFFLINE   Walter C

Walter C

Screenwriter

• 2,185 posts

Posted June 15 2014 - 06:08 PM

Amazing finish to the Swiss - Ecuador match. Wow!

Yeah, after a few tripping attempts by the Ecuadorans, when the Swiss went from one end to the other side, just like that. Just unbelievable to see!

Edited by Walter C, June 15 2014 - 06:11 PM.

TV Episodes Watched - 2009 (1419 ep) / 2010 (1367 ep) / 2011 (1509 ep) / 2012 (1440 ep) / 2013 (1191 ep) / 2014 - October
Feature Films Watched - 2012 (97 seen) / 2013 (100 seen)
Shorts Watched - 2012 (222 seen) / 2013 (87 seen)

Books Read - 2013 (12 read)

#37 of 167 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted June 16 2014 - 09:57 AM

I got three for three yesterday, no predictions for today, too late at posting.

I just watched the Germany vs Portugal game, the sending off was right but i didn't like the way the Germans on the bench celebrated that, not very sportmanslike, i gotta say Portugal were disappointing, i didn't think Ronaldo had much effect for his team, he once again ( so far ) doesn't deliver at a world cup and Germany deserved their 4-0 result.

#38 of 167 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,420 posts

Posted June 16 2014 - 01:34 PM

My pick to win it all is Germany.  But that doesn't mean I wouldn't mind seeing them be challenged (or even lose).

#39 of 167 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted June 16 2014 - 04:07 PM

USA 2 - Ghana 1

All the USA now need to do is beat Portugal and hope Germany beat Ghana and they are through the group stage.

• Ockeghem likes this

#40 of 167 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,420 posts

Posted June 16 2014 - 04:36 PM

Well, Portugal certainly looked beatable against Germany.  I'm fairly certain that Germany will defeat Ghana.  Thankfully the USA got the late (and winning) goal after Ghana tied the score.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users