Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

IS IT POSSIBLE TO RECORD A MOVIE FROM SATELLITE ONTO A BLU-RAY DISC? WOULD I EVEN WANT TO?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 of 13 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,210 posts

Posted April 21 2014 - 06:30 AM

Tivo and all this stuff is technology I haven't even ventured into. I haven't had cable or satellite for 15 years, preferring the image of DVD and Blu-ray, which at this time is exclusively what I watch on my t.v.

But TCM continues to present terrific stuff I can't buy on video. I understand they are not 1080 high-def, but they should at least be DVD quality, and I would love to be able to directly burn their movies onto DVD-R or BD-R. I am not sure this is possible. Anyone?

#2 of 13 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,865 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted April 21 2014 - 06:32 AM

This thread is posted in the wrong forum.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#3 of 13 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,239 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted April 21 2014 - 06:33 AM

Possible, yes.

Legality...fuzzy.

Directv allows you to DVR whatever content you want, then load it to your computer to watch anywhere.

#4 of 13 OFFLINE   Richard V

Richard V

Screenwriter

• 1,563 posts

Posted April 21 2014 - 06:38 AM

After switching from Direct TV to ATT Uverse, I immediately noticed that I could no longer transfer my DVR recordings to DVD, U Verse apparently blocks their transfer, where as Direct TV, as previously mentioned, does not.  That being said, it is getting very difficult, if not impossible to readily find a home DVD recording machine.

See you at the pah-ty, Richter.

#5 of 13 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,210 posts

Posted April 21 2014 - 06:41 AM

After switching from Direct TV to ATT Uverse, I immediately noticed that I could no longer transfer my DVR recordings to DVD, U Verse apparently blocks their transfer, where as Direct TV, as previously mentioned, does not.  That being said, it is getting very difficult, if not impossible to readily find a home DVD recording machine.

Wal*Mart and many online companies still sell these, and they are very inexpensive.

#6 of 13 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,210 posts

Posted April 21 2014 - 06:42 AM

Wal*Mart and many online companies still sell these, and they are very inexpensive. What concerns me are the cables required to interface between the cable/satellite "box" and the DVD recorder.

#7 of 13 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,239 posts

Posted April 21 2014 - 06:51 AM

Wal*Mart and many online companies still sell these, and they are very inexpensive. What concerns me are the cables required to interface between the cable/satellite "box" and the DVD recorder.

Welcome to HDCP.

#8 of 13 OFFLINE   David Weicker

David Weicker

Screenwriter

• 1,654 posts

Posted April 21 2014 - 07:36 AM

I am able to make recordings from several channels using the play/record method.

My DVD recorder (Philips) has S-video in and my U-Verse box has S-Video out. For widescreen content, I have to change the box settings from 1080-I to 480 Widescreen (otherwise there is picture distortion). Then hit 'play' on you DVR and 'record' on your recorder.

Yes, there is some PQ loss, but most recordings are very good. Especially from HD channels.

Other things to consider, record at the 1-hour speed, and combine the two halves (broken at a scene) of a movie onto a DVD+-R DL in your computer. I did that for an HD broadcast of Return Of The Musketeers and ended up with a terrific DVD.

#9 of 13 OFFLINE   bluelaughaminute

bluelaughaminute

Stunt Coordinator

• 176 posts

Posted April 21 2014 - 12:02 PM

I don't know what the situation is in the US but here in the UK we have Bluray disc recorders with built in Freeview HD channels.

This means its possible to record in HD but only from the channels available via the internal tuner.

It is not possible to record in HD from any external source.

There are only about 6 or 7 Freeview channels in HD but these do include BBC1-4 and C4 and ITV.

Any HD recordings from these channels can be burned to BD-R discs.

ITV and C4 recordings are limited to a once only HD burn but BBC recordings are not currently restricted.

So it does mean its occasionally possible to create a Bluray HD recording of a film not commercially available.

HD recording from an external source would require an HDMI INPUT . I don't know of any recording devices that include one.

My Panasonic Bluray disc recorder also enables recording of HD content to a dvdr but obviously limited by the capacity.

I've not done any of those so I don't know which devices would play it back . I assume a normal dvd player wouldn't

#10 of 13 OFFLINE   mark brown

mark brown

Stunt Coordinator

• 94 posts

Posted April 21 2014 - 12:50 PM

I used to be able to record TCM on my Panasonic which has HDMI.  I hadn't used it for some time but I tried to use it several months ago and got a message that  this function would not work.  Has anyone else had this problem?  

#11 of 13 OFFLINE   Ron1973

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

• 1,177 posts
  • LocationSE Missouri

Posted May 03 2014 - 12:02 PM

Possible, yes.

Legality...fuzzy.

Directv allows you to DVR whatever content you want, then load it to your computer to watch anywhere.

Can you tell me how this works, please? I never knew I could transfer it to watch on my computer.

Find me on Facebook

My blog

Jethro, how come there's no ice in Californy? ~ Uncle Jed

Don't look at me, I didn't take it! ~ Jethro

#12 of 13 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,239 posts

Posted May 03 2014 - 12:15 PM

Go to DirecTV.com

The program/instructions are there.

• Ron1973 likes this

#13 of 13 OFFLINE   DaveF

DaveF

• 14,113 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted May 05 2014 - 05:08 PM

Apparently there's a simple (and legal) method for cable boxes. I don't know if this applies to DirectTV

http://www.ammesset....firerecord.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users