What's new

Achmed Saves America World Premiere (1 Viewer)

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
479466259.jpg
LOS ANGELES, CA - MARCH 18: A general view of the atmosphere during the "Achmed Saves America" World Premiere at The Grove on March 18, 2014 in Los Angeles, California. (Photo by Mike Windle/Getty Images for Levity Entertainment Group)

I had the pleasure of attending the world premiere of Jeff Dunham’s Achmed Saves America animated special on Tuesday, March 18, 2014 at Pacific Theatres at the Grove in Los Angeles, CA. For those unfamiliar with Jeff Dunham, he is a ventriloquist stand-up comedian, best known for his characters Peanut, grumpy old man Walter, and Jose Jalapeno on a Stick. His most controversial character, though, is Achmed the Dead Terrorist, which he introduced to audiences in 2007 in his Comedy Central special Jeff Dunham: Spark of Insanity and racked up over 200 million views on YouTube.
479465449.jpg
LOS ANGELES, CA - MARCH 18: Jeff Dunham attends the "Achmed Saves America" World Premiere at The Grove on March 18, 2014 in Los Angeles, California. (Photo by Mike Windle/Getty Images for Levity Entertainment Group)

With the growing popularity of Achmed, Dunham has produced an animated special that serves as a back story for the failed (and idiotic) terrorist. Prior to the screening, I was able to ask Dunham how the reaction to Achmed has changed over the years. Dunham explained that Achmed evolved out of a puppet he created shortly after 9-11, Oded Osama, that was ahead of its time. When Achmed was introduced in 2007, he wanted to make sure that family members and friends of 9-11 victims would be OK with the humor. The key to Achmed’s success is that he has to be portrayed as an idiot, a failed suicide bomber, who eventually falls in love with America.

Will we see other animated specials featuring some of Dunham’s other characters, such as Peanut or Walter? According to Dunham, that was not his intention with this special, but don’t necessarily count that out. Although, there may be more Achmed specials if this one proves popular.
479465417.jpg
LOS ANGELES, CA - MARCH 18: Jeff Dunham speaks onstage during the "Achmed Saves America" World Premiere at The Grove on March 18, 2014 in Los Angeles, California. (Photo by Mike Windle/Getty Images for Levity Entertainment Group)

My final question had to do with Peanut, who only wears one old shoe, and my sister always wondered if he was ever going to get new shoes. “That routine comes from an old vaudeville act. When I first started with Peanut, one of my questions to him was where he lost his other shoe. His response was that he found a shoe.”

Achmed Saves America is available now on DVD and Blu-ray, and debuts on CMT at 10:00pm ET/PT on March 28, 2014.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks