Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Godzilla on Blu-ray Available for Preorder

Sony Pictures

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,249 posts

Posted March 04 2014 - 08:09 AM

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   John Sparks

John Sparks

Supporting Actor

• 851 posts
  • LocationI.E., CA

Posted March 04 2014 - 12:55 PM

Well, if these come with the Japanese versions with English dubs and the correct ARs, I'll double dip.
...retired at last...and Ray Harryhausen at my side!!!

My equipment consists of:

Epson 9500 UB PJ(Avical ISFd); 110" JKP Affinity Screen; Panny BD30 Player; Tosh HDA1 Player; Definitive Speakers(center, towers, rear); Onkyo 608 A/V Receiver; Nevo Q50 Remote; TWC HD Cable Box; Panamax Line Conditioner.

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   Mark Walker

Mark Walker

Screenwriter

• 2,598 posts

Posted March 05 2014 - 01:46 PM

I know the original Blu-ray of Gojira, not the Criterion, was reported to have very poor image quality.  I would love to upgrade on these other monster titles, but I will need to know the picture quality is not an issue on these new releases do not suffer from the same issues.

The release in question is at the following link:

http://www.amazon.co...=gojira blu ray

Paramount, please release DRAGONSLAYER on Blu-ray

Dragonslayer_1981HTF_zps4e370848.jpg

Vermithrax Pejorative deserves to be seen in high-def.

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   battlebeast

battlebeast

Supporting Actor

• 753 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta

Posted March 05 2014 - 02:24 PM

Why buy this when criterion has a better version?

I recently watched all 485 Best pictures (plus about 10 others films) in 365 days! www.oscarmovs.com

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   Mark Walker

Mark Walker

Screenwriter

• 2,598 posts

Posted March 05 2014 - 04:47 PM

Criterion will likely not be releasing these other Godzilla titles.

Agreed, of course, that the Criterion of the original Gojira is great.

Classic Media released the first Blu-ray of Gojira long before Criterion released it, and the Blu-ray was reported to have very poor picture quality.

These other Godzilla films are not being released by Criterion.  Amazon says the studio is Section 23.

I have no idea what their reputation or history is in terms of their Blu-ray products.

Why buy this when criterion has a better version?

Paramount, please release DRAGONSLAYER on Blu-ray

Dragonslayer_1981HTF_zps4e370848.jpg

Vermithrax Pejorative deserves to be seen in high-def.

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 1,929 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted March 06 2014 - 05:01 AM

:P Universal - Sony - and Studio 23, with all these recent announcements, you would think that a new IMAX 3D Film was being released this year, or something like that, :P  

• Mark Walker and ahollis like this
Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   Ejanss

Ejanss

Screenwriter

• 1,615 posts

Posted March 06 2014 - 06:05 AM

These other Godzilla films are not being released by Criterion.  Amazon says the studio is Section 23.

I have no idea what their reputation or history is in terms of their Blu-ray products.

Section 23 is one of the remaining comeback splinter divisions of ADV Films, which used to be the best label around for anime titles.  ADV even dabbled in a few rare live-action horror/kaiju titles, which were pretty good, IIRC, for the early days of DVD.

As for their reputation on Blu-ray, can't say, sorry.

And as Mark points out, Gojira was a Rialto restoration and owned by Criterion, the other 60's up through "Godzilla's Revenge" are all owned by Classic Media, wherever they are now.  (Dreamworks?)

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 1,929 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted March 06 2014 - 07:03 AM

Section 23 is one of the remaining comeback splinter divisions of ADV Films, which used to be the best label around for anime titles.  ADV even dabbled in a few rare live-action horror/kaiju titles, which were pretty good, IIRC, for the early days of DVD.

As for their reputation on Blu-ray, can't say, sorry.

And as Mark points out, Gojira was a Rialto restoration and owned by Criterion, the other 60's up through "Godzilla's Revenge" are all owned by Classic Media, wherever they are now.  (Dreamworks?)

and for the original Classic Media releases ( Toho Master Collection)  were done really well, yes its been a few years, and Toho has released these titles in Japan on blu, so it is Region A but I don't think the Japanese releases has any subtitles or the US cuts of the films, and the imports are not in a price range that I am willing to deal with.

Maybe, just prior to this new movie someone at DreamWorks will get the idea that maybe they need to play catch-up, and make an announcement soon. :D

And while not the same big guy, but more like a big flying turtle, curious to see next months release of Gamera Vol 1 & Vol 2, which covers the Showa Period, from Mill Creek / Kadokawa Pictures, this has already been released in Japan, so I am hoping that all the heavy lifting was done, like when they get there hands on a Sony title. But compared to what the import cost, hey I'm good for less that $20 for 4 movies, only issue is it's all on one disc  per set.  

Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Sony Pictures

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users