What's new

HTF Awards 2013: Final Results for the BEST and Worst of the Year (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

BEST AND WORST OF 2013
We would like to thank those HTF members who helped nominate and vote for the very BEST and WORST of 2013.
Here are the final results....

* Votes with stars next to them indicate my personal vote. My vote did not change nor influence any of the posted results.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
And Universal maintains its title as worst studio/distributor for.....how many years is it now? Take a bow Universal; although, you really shouldn't be proud.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Johnny,

At the bottom of the list you will see the explanation.

The stars indicate my personal vote which did not influence or change the vote.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I'm frankly wondering how Universal got the raspberry this year. I could understand it from years past, but is this just an additional slap for Spartacus and The Man Who Knew Too Much?

From what I saw, Universal did not have a bad year in 2013. They didn't release that much catalogue, and what I reviewed of it (High Plains Drifter, Schindler's List) was quite good. Their current releases have not had PQ issues. If the raspberry was for 2013, what did they do in the year to deserve it?

Paramount on the other hand was notable in 2013 for the bizarre Star Trek ID release, where they divided up the extras between multiple retailers and expected the fans to repeatedly purchase the same product, presumably to make up from the shortfall of the disappointing theatrical performance.

Disney distinguished itself in 2013 by demanding that fans pay the premium 3D price for Oz The Great and Powerful without including the other discs, when that price has always meant that the consumer receives the full package and not just one disc. And Disney's on the way again this year with their head slapper on Frozen.

I suppose Universal could be held accountable for having released movies like RIPD and Dead in Tombstone, but if we applied this criteria, all the studios would have vegetables hurled at them...

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I agree with you, Kevin. It's almost as of many of the members were on autopilot from years past. There were other more deserving studios. The only other thing I can think of is the lack of new transfers Universal supplied to studios like Shout Factory for their licensed catalog titles.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I hear you on that Todd. But then I think that Universal wasn't planning on releasing those as Blu-rays. Shout Factory chose to acquire those transfers and put them out. For what Universal gets out of the deal, I'm not surprised that they weren't spending money in that direction. And for the record, I'm glad that Shout Factory is out there doing what they do. They're responsible for a pile of DVDs I've collected, from their clear interest in getting genre movies and TV series out, and in their diligence in including as many bonus features as they can. (I only wish they could have put out the Blu-ray of Starman - they would have licensed the Carpenter/Bridges commentary that can only be heard on the R2 DVD)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks